British Speedway Forum
Super Blue

Ipswich V Edinburgh Lcsf 3-9-15 @ 7-30pm

Normally when I get on a plane to see speedway, I end up at a GP in Poland so it was a change of scene to land at Stansted followed by a coach journey to Ipswich. Great hotel Pentahotel) just a few minutes walk from the station.

We then strolled into the town centre, very pleasant with a nice mix of old and new buildings. We then headed in the direction of Foxhall but somehow fell into three nice old pubs on the way where we had to have a few pints of real ale for sustenance ;)

Taxi then to the speedway for my first Ipswich visit. Very impressive layout with plenty of terracing and seated areas served with good food and a bar. It's obvious that the Stock car owners have invested a few £££s in the stadium

The meeting itself was a bit low key, first 10 races took no time at all before we had an interval. The track seemed a bit bumpy as the night wore on. For Ipswich, Danny King and Covatti were very good with Tungate and Morris chipping in too.

For Monarchs, we certainly missed Cookie, Sam and Kevin were best with mas deserving more. Both teams could point to bad luck with a fall and bike trouble on both sides, but Monarchs did enough to have the tie won by heat 12.

Thanks to James for a lift back to the hotel, we met up with Mike Hunter at his hotel for a last pint. Up in time to have a cracking bacon roll and coffee at the Station Hotel before two trains and a coach back to Stansted

It was great to meet up with Crazy Sue and James again, The Scotsman and John's Ippo mate James. Got to say that the trip was made very enjoyable by the friendliness of the Ipswich people both in the bars and in the speedway. I will return!

Edited by DavyH
  • Like 2

Normally when I get on a plane to see speedway, I end up at a GP in Poland so it was a change of scene to land at Stansted followed by a coach journey to Ipswich. Great hotel Pentahotel) just a few minutes walk from the station.

We then strolled into the town centre, very pleasant with a nice mix of old and new buildings. We then headed in the direction of Foxhall but somehow fell into three nice old pubs on the way where we had to have a few pints of real ale for sustenance ;)

Taxi then to the speedway for my first Ipswich visit. Very impressive layout with plenty of terracing and seated areas served with good food and a bar. It's obvious that the Stock car owners have invested a few £££s in the stadium

The meeting itself was a bit low key, first 10 races took no time at all before we had an interval. The track seemed a bit bumpy as the night wore on. For Ipswich, Danny King and Covatti were very good with Tungate and Morris chipping in too.

For Monarchs, we certainly missed Cookie, Sam and Kevin were best with mas deserving more. Both teams could point to bad luck with a fall and bike trouble on both sides, but Monarchs did enough to have the tie won by heat 12.

Thanks to James for a lift back to the hotel, we met up with Mike Hunter at his hotel for a last pint. Up in time to have a cracking bacon roll and coffee at the Station Hotel before two trains and a coach back to Stansted

It was great to meet up with Crazy Sue and James again, The Scotsman and John's Ippo mate James. Got to say that the trip was made very enjoyable by the friendliness of the Ipswich people both in the bars and in the speedway. I will return!

Glad you enjoyed your little trip to foxhall . Ok might be a little biased but I think foxhall does over great viewing to the public for speedway just a shame is location is not more central as could offer a lot to a bspa meeting

Glad you enjoyed your little trip to foxhall . Ok might be a little biased but I think foxhall does over great viewing to the public for speedway just a shame is location is not more central as could offer a lot to a bspa meeting

I think Foxhall is a lovely little stadium and provides good facilities and great viewing, it's shame I cannot say the same for the racing which is generally poor.

• Like 1

Totally agree bcd - it really is a great venue - even the food is ok.

Good car park - loads of seating.

Lousy music though!

But the track is just rough and therefore so is the racing.

• Like 1

I've never thought of it as a rough track. I've seen far far worse on my visits to other places. Maybe it's more to do with grippy coroners than bumps?

The track used to be poor before they widened it. Now it's just like 90% of the others in the country that serves up good meetings now and again, poor meetings now and again and ok meetings most of the time.

There is a select band of fabulous race tracks around the country and we all know which ones they are, the rest are much of a muchness to be honest.

The venue at Foxhall though, it a stocks venue first and foremost.

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

I've never thought of it as a rough track. I've seen far far worse on my visits to other places. Maybe it's more to do with grippy coroners than bumps?

Bikes always seem to be bouncing around the corners to me - only seems to be king that gets around smoothly.

When juniors on 250 cc machines can go round Foxhall within 2 secs of some of the premier league riders there cannot be much wrong with the track . Plus Danny King got within 0.5 of the track record last night

It looks to me like the front wheel is always trying to pick up because of the grip.

Edited by baldyman

Bikes always seem to be bouncing around the corners to me - only seems to be king that gets around smoothly.

Covatti doesn't seem to have any issues getting round smoothly.