British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Surely the biggest problem at Beaumont Park is that with a blank canvas they failed to create a decent racetrack. Old and much talked over subject I know but if the track had been laid similar to Somerset I seriously doubt any of these problems would be arising

despite the early season problems, belle vue have shown what can be done with a blank canvas. The NSS is a superb race track with wide bends and numerous racing lines. I'm already looking forward to my second visit!

Anybody else find it improper that the SCB hearing had two speedway promoters sitting on it with one clearly having an interest in another Elite League team?

Totally agree, how can 2 promoters from the BSPA and only one person from the ACU make a decision about a fellow BSPA member. Totally undemocratic, and smacks of conflict of interest. SCB should be totally independent of the BSPA.

• Like 1

Doesn't take much to identify an agenda. You could do it.

Not much point in having a management committee then.

I'm with JChapman & Danny Smith.

Part of the problem is that confidence in BSPA/SCB decision making is so low that when they are accused of malpractice and bias almost everyone gives it credence if not absolutely believes it. We have seen far too many times what a vindictive, spiteful bunch they can be when someone doesn't toe the line and how ludicrously inconsistent their decisions often are, as they use the 'interests of speedway' and rigidly stick to the rulebook by turn without any explanation whatsoever.

The simple fact is you have interested parties making decisions - at the very least they can be accused of prejudice even if there is none.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot have independent adjudication in speedway apart from the fact that the BSPA/SCB would be prevented from making crooked and illegal rulings motivated by jealousy and selfishness. That's why we'll never get it.

It says everything that a man like David Hemsley - who comes across to me as arrogant and smug - is actually attracting some sympathy.

He might well deserve that punishment. The thing is there is absolutely no guarantee at all that if Matt Ford, Alex Harkess or Jon Cook did the same thing they'd also get it.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

Doesn't take much to identify an agenda. You could do it.

Seems like the only agenda here is you trying to rubbish me..... come on Tsunami tell me who you really are because that will help us connect the dots up?

• Like 1

Surely the biggest problem at Beaumont Park is that with a blank canvas they failed to create a decent racetrack. Old and much talked over subject I know but if the track had been laid similar to Somerset I seriously doubt any of these problems would be arising

What in the name of sweet Jesus does that have to do with where a switch is located in the ref's box????

Anyway I think it should be KL shape Simerset is pants

What in the name of sweet Jesus does that have to do with where a switch is located in the ref's box????

Wasn't it the ref that turned the lights off ?

I don't get how DH can be banned from the pits and other places as he owns the stadium it's not there's.

• Like 1

Many of you are probably not aware but a few years back I worked with David Hemsley in his initial search for a home for Leicester Speedway and gaining the councils support. I didn't do this for financial gain but for the betterment of British Speedway. Speaking from personal experience I always found David very professional whilst clearly determined, I have nothing but admiration for the hard work he has put in and the financial risk he and his wife have taken.

I am sure he will look back and remember what I warned him about the becoming a BSPA member and if this is the straw that breaks the camels back then so be it. No matter all the faults he may or may not have he is in my opinion being treated unfairly... something those in charge of the sport may live to regret as it could be the card that brings the stack down.

Though saying that I would not be surprised to see the club put up for sale and a fairly local club without a home at the end of the season trying to snap it up cheap.

• Like 4

it doesnt matter where the switch is

if Leicester with a blank canvas had built a racetrack, they wouldnt be worrying about refereeing decisions the'dve been worried about keeping the spectators full of food and beer

Edited by Triple.H.

Many of you are probably not aware but a few years back I worked with David Hemsley in his initial search for a home for Leicester Speedway and gaining the councils support. I didn't do this for financial gain but for the betterment of British Speedway. Speaking from personal experience I always found David very professional whilst clearly determined, I have nothing but admiration for the hard work he has put in and the financial risk he and his wife have taken.

I am sure he will look back and remember what I warned him about the becoming a BSPA member and if this is the straw that breaks the camels back then so be it. No matter all the faults he may or may not have he is in my opinion being treated unfairly... something those in charge of the sport may live to regret as it could be the card that brings the stack down.

Though saying that I would not be surprised to see the club put up for sale and a fairly local club without a home at the end of the season trying to snap it up cheap.

To be honest if it was a track share it might not be such a problem. But if Lions folded and Bees moved in I could not see that going down very well at all. I would envisage bees having lots of problems.

To be honest if it was a track share it might not be such a problem. But if Lions folded and Bees moved in I could not see that going down very well at all. I would envisage bees having lots of problems.

58 year bees fan here . not interested In watching the bees at leicester ,would rather see them dissapear altogether .

58 year bees fan here . not interested In watching the bees at leicester ,would rather see them dissapear altogether .

Snap.

If Mick Horton is at BP next year it will be as the promotor of the Leicester Lions (as it should be).

Coventry fans will not support the club at another track. Most have stopped going already in preparation for the inevitable.

I would not want Bees to fold. Would not like to see any side disappear . Just do not think it would be good for our club to go and Cov move in. That's just a bit to much to take.

I would not want Bees to fold. Would not like to see any side disappear . Just do not think it would be good for our club to go and Cov move in. That's just a bit to much to take.

Why would that happen? Who would be stupid enough to run Coventry Speedway at Leicester without Leicester having their own team?

More likely that both clubs will fold.

I'm with JChapman & Danny Smith.

Part of the problem is that confidence in BSPA/SCB decision making is so low that when they are accused of malpractice and bias almost everyone gives it credence if not absolutely believes it. We have seen far too many times what a vindictive, spiteful bunch they can be when someone doesn't toe the line and how ludicrously inconsistent their decisions often are, as they use the 'interests of speedway' and rigidly stick to the rulebook by turn without any explanation whatsoever.

The simple fact is you have interested parties making decisions - at the very least they can be accused of prejudice even if there is none.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot have independent adjudication in speedway apart from the fact that the BSPA/SCB would be prevented from making crooked and illegal rulings motivated by jealousy and selfishness. That's why we'll never get it.

It says everything that a man like David Hemsley - who comes across to me as arrogant and smug - is actually attracting some sympathy.

He might well deserve that punishment. The thing is there is absolutely no guarantee at all that if Matt Ford, Alex Harkess or Jon Cook did the same thing they'd also get it.

David Hemsley has never been popular with a lot of people for usually very good reasons. He ditched Sam, for the better I think, but he also ditched the very people who had been with him to set up the whole project in the early days. He went ahead with a poor designed track in a very good mini stadium. He did things his way that people didn't like, and totally messed up the adjoining park area with rubbish being dumped on his land for income. He seems to have man management issues, and in this case he has obviously let fly with bad behaviour and dubious actions, which no promoter should do. LionsDen has highlighted what he knows happened, and it does not make pleasant reading. You should not like to support his(DH) actions, and must accept that that sort of behaviour has to be challenged and sanctions imposed on him. Banning him and fining him, seems to most folks a reasonable response, even with the complication of him still being the owner, which is not then compatible with a banned promoter.

So an errant promoter is taken to task for his actions, which were against laid down practices with the BSPA/SCB. Whether the sanctions are too severe or about right, we will never know, as none of us know exactly what happened, except he failed to appear when he was commanded to do so. Not good form from a businessman, who elected to join an organisation and signed to abide with the 'rules' of that organisation. No man is an island.

So the charges are known, the penalties are known. But instead of his actions being condemned and the penalties accepted, the BSPA gets the criticism for taking the action, despite a mix of BSPA/SCB is the expected mix for a disciplinary committee. What should the BSPA have done in the circumstances, when their rules are the ones that are broken, along with the breeches of SCB protocol.

Unfortunately, many on here have a BSPA phobia, which clouds their natural justice. So they turn on the BSPA/SCB as if they were the miscreants in this whole business. Yes, the BSPA are not perfect and have make many mistakes in the past, and continue to do so. Given that there are agreed representations for these sort of discipline matters within both the BSPA/SCB, abiding by them should not then doubt the eligibility of anybody sitting in judgement on this case. Unless of course you have a greater issues with either/both organisations, and are allowing them to cloud your judgement.

It seems to me a lot of folks on here are using this case to air their opposition per se, instead of stepping back, looking at the bigger picture, reading the post from LionsDen, then making a rational response.

Will it happen, will it hell. Very surprised at some who have joined in.

• Like 3

David Hemsley has never been popular with a lot of people for usually very good reasons. He ditched Sam, for the better I think, but he also ditched the very people who had been with him to set up the whole project in the early days. He went ahead with a poor designed track in a very good mini stadium. He did things his way that people didn't like, and totally messed up the adjoining park area with rubbish being dumped on his land for income. He seems to have man management issues, and in this case he has obviously let fly with bad behaviour and dubious actions, which no promoter should do. LionsDen has highlighted what he knows happened, and it does not make pleasant reading. You should not like to support his(DH) actions, and must accept that that sort of behaviour has to be challenged and sanctions imposed on him. Banning him and fining him, seems to most folks a reasonable response, even with the complication of him still being the owner, which is not then compatible with a banned promoter.

So an errant promoter is taken to task for his actions, which were against laid down practices with the BSPA/SCB. Whether the sanctions are too severe or about right, we will never know, as none of us know exactly what happened, except he failed to appear when he was commanded to do so. Not good form from a businessman, who elected to join an organisation and signed to abide with the 'rules' of that organisation. No man is an island.

So the charges are known, the penalties are known. But instead of his actions being condemned and the penalties accepted, the BSPA gets the criticism for taking the action, despite a mix of BSPA/SCB is the expected mix for a disciplinary committee. What should the BSPA have done in the circumstances, when their rules are the ones that are broken, along with the breeches of SCB protocol.

Unfortunately, many on here have a BSPA phobia, which clouds their natural justice. So they turn on the BSPA/SCB as if they were the miscreants in this whole business. Yes, the BSPA are not perfect and have make many mistakes in the past, and continue to do so. Given that there are agreed representations for these sort of discipline matters within both the BSPA/SCB, abiding by them should not then doubt the eligibility of anybody sitting in judgement on this case. Unless of course you have a greater issues with either/both organisations, and are allowing them to cloud your judgement.

It seems to me a lot of folks on here are using this case to air their opposition per se, instead of stepping back, looking at the bigger picture, reading the post from LionsDen, then making a rational response.

Will it happen, will it hell. Very surprised at some who have joined in.

How can they stop him going where he wants to in the stadium he owns. If he wants to take a walk into the pits he can and the bspa don't have a legal right to stop him as he paid for it.

I agree with LionsDen he has upset so many people and I wonder if this now could be the end of Leicester speedway.

• Like 1