British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Not really, mercenaries come and go.

I suppose they're all mercenaries now, eh? Like "real" mercenaries, it can all end very suddenly.

You'd think that after 2 years as the No.1 there, he would be still held in high esteem.

It depends on the rider whether he is well liked and held in high esteem once he has moved on. For instance at Coventry ex Bees Scott Nicholls, Rory Schlein, Simon Stead, Joonas Kylmakorpi etc., always get a good reception from the fans but Hans Andersen strangely enough doesn't. :lol:

• Like 3

You'd think that after 2 years as the No.1 there, he would be still held in high esteem.

Not really. Andersen rode at number 1 for us for 2 years. (I use the term rode loosely) I don't care what he does and think most bees fans feel the same 😉

• Like 1

Not really. Andersen rode at number 1 for us for 2 years. (I use the term rode loosely) I don't care what he does and think most bees fans feel the same

Is this down to Andersen's on-track performances, or his personality - or both?

It's hard to imagine that any lack of regard for Doyle by Leicester could be down to his on-track performances, so it it a personal thing? Jealousy, maybe?

Is this down to Andersen's on-track performances, or his personality - or both?

It's hard to imagine that any lack of regard for Doyle by Leicester could be down to his on-track performances, so it it a personal thing? Jealousy, maybe?

As a lions supporter, can I say that I thoroughly enjoyed having Jason D ride for the Lions as our no. 1 for 2 years. he was remarkably consistent and a great team member. I was very disappointed to see him leave but his reasons were sound enough and clearly not having to deal with riding for a Saturday night track has played its part in aiding his current GP ambitions. Interestingly, he still rides for a UK club and is one of the busiest riders in speedway. this of course in complete contrast to TW who adopted the less is more approach and turned his back on the wolves until his other league commitments had ended.

I hope Doyley goes on and wins the GP title so we Leicester fans can at least say "he rode for us once" - unfortunately Like Anders M he left Leicester before picking up the crown.

• Like 1

Hemsley is no longer a director of leicester ,he has now got 75% of the shares giving him over all control only a week ago he only had oneshare ! Is this because he is about to sell it .

From the horses mouth last night. riders not been paid for months all the bond has gone from earlier in season promotor totally oblivious to the whole rider relationship.

Club being sold, premier league for the lions next season. The final meeting of the season will be administered by the bspa with gate receipts going to the riders payments. Let's hope we get a decent crowd to support those guys who put there lives on the line for our entertainment month in month out. Whilst I accept Helmsley is the promotor what about the co promotors don't they take any responsibility here....

Shame on you Helmsley all you had to do was swallow some humble pride listen to those offering support and you may just still have a business that could develop further within a strong midlands catchment area..

• Like 1

He's been a disaster from the moment his ego got the better of him, thinking he knew best when he clearly didn't. Leicester Speedway came back because of a massive united effort from many people. He hijacked all that and instead made it all about him. 28 years to get it all back and just 6 years to screw it all up, with many people treated appallingly and many people not caring about speedway in this city anymore, let alone paying to go and watch it. That's his legacy. Good riddance to him.

And good luck to whoever attempts to pick up all the broken pieces of the shambolic mess that is Leicester Speedway in it's present state.

Edited by LionsDen
  • Like 5

Sounds like quite a mess at Leicester, hopefully things work out and Hemsley gets out asap. I was surprised Leicester made the step up to the EL so quick.

New owner, a return to the premier league, building of a solid side that's capable at the very least of winning most of its home meetings. Surely that's the only way forward for us.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

I really hope it all works out for Leicester, it was a dream come true for many Leicester fans, they are still all out there if you can find a decent promoter for the club .....

• Like 1

Just hope that they manage to pull on thier heart strings, that is if they have any and let the fans know what is going to happen to the club next year. I hope to be able to get to see this final meeting.

If a new promoter does come and take over, I hope for the state of speedway at BP that DH has no involvement in any way shape or form wit any dealings with the club.

He could still make things very hard for a new promoter if he is the major share holder of the land and the stadium. I would not even want him even entering the stadium, he has done enough damage as it is.

The best he can do is sell the whole thing and go over to Russia to give all his vast knowladge to Putin, that way the Russian nation would end up being a third world country in a couple of years.

I would hate to think of the man being my landlord. Just think the state of his houses if he went into renting out property.

They would all end up with no water gas or electric in a shaort time with open sewers running down the centre of his houses.

How does he ever manage to run a business. To think of the way he used to strut his stuff on a Saturday night, I just used to say I am king of my castle. This is all mine look at the great job I have done, with the track and just look how I got the club from PL to EL in 4 short years. I never had to listen to anyone because I was and always will be right.

Lets hope that 2017 brings a far better year to the Lions, if they still go under that name, not sure how things would stand with that one.

I think Leicester were spoiled having Doyle as #1 for their first two years, without any assets. Next year will be fun looking at averages. Lakeside & Swindon need to drop a few riders, bizarrely higher ranked teams don't.

I think Leicester were spoiled having Doyle as #1 for their first two years, without any assets. Next year will be fun looking at averages. Lakeside & Swindon need to drop a few riders, bizarrely higher ranked teams don't.

Who knows what will happen next year esp with talk of no draft list. There's going to be a lot of inflated averages. If there's only 6 men teams as strongly suggested then every team will have to lose riders.