British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

there is such a back catalogue of stuff that people either dont know or have conveniently forgotten

Seriously then, expand and remind........please.

The top names in speedway are now just to greedy and are asking for silly money, money that the promoters, bar a few clubs are unable to pay them. When they all rode over here last time, with thier demands, they nearly managed between them to close down a few clubs, the promoters kept paying them until it was almost to late, when the clubs decided to put a limit on what they would pay the riders, we saw a mass exodus of riders, most of them will never ride here again, unless they get what they ask for, the likes of PK who wanted £4000 plus points money. How many clubs could pay this sort of figure to say 3 riders a team and still be running at the end of the season. You need an awful load of bums on the seats to even break even.

• Like 1

Couldnt agree more. Continued to race on a Saturday this year (and limited the options for team building) so as not to reduce the crowds. Seen an alarming drop in the crowd as the team isnt competitive enough. If there is fixed race nights next year (and we're still in the elite league), I assume more riders will be made available. If we can keep the core of this team and add two heat leaders from the potential influx of riders (and I stress potential!!) we'd have a competitive team.

For the first time in my life, Ive struggled to get Leicester City tickets this season- success will draw the crowd. Entertainment will draw the crowds.

A team that lines up something like:

1. Smolinski (has said he'd return to England with fixed race nights)

2. Klindt (knows the track, knows the fans, will probably have a low average, goes reasonably well at home)

3. Houggard (has impressed me this year. Not a number 1 but has shown he could be a strong third heat leader)

4. Wozniak (provided his polish clubs allow it, exciting, quick, learning, full of potential, loved by the fans)

5. A gp rider possibly? Someone who might return? Janowski? Zmarzlik? Pawlicki?

6. Auty (our fast track rider of the past 2 years, scores well, exciting, trier- will he still be in the draft next year?)

7. Starke (be impressed if we could keep him, been quality for us this year.. be surprised if he wanted to come back though)

That team would probably fit within the averages. Keeps a core of Lions riders that know the track and do their job well. Adds strength and experience. A lot depends on the riders that make themselves available to ride in the UK next year and who everyone else gets, because the Lions do seem to get what no one else wants

I think it could firstly be a matter of will Leicester be able to complete THIS season, because from the occasional video clip and photo, the crowd level has started to seem a bit on the sparse side.

Of course Mr Hemsley could be happy and able to put lots of his own cash in to keep things going as a kind of hobby thing, or maybe the bank is very supportive and happy to keep on extending more credit, because I doubt if the main club sponsors are putting in anywhere near what would be required to make up the losses which have been suggested on here.

• Like 1

I think it could firstly be a matter of will Leicester be able to complete THIS season, because from the occasional video clip and photo, the crowd level has started to seem a bit on the sparse side.

Of course Mr Hemsley could be happy and able to put lots of his own cash in to keep things going as a kind of hobby thing, or maybe the bank is very supportive and happy to keep on extending more credit, because I doubt if the main club sponsors are putting in anywhere near what would be required to make up the losses which have been suggested on here.

I think it could firstly be a matter of will Leicester be able to complete THIS season, Are you for real. Of course they will. Leicester still get bigger gates than most other tracks.

I think it could firstly be a matter of will Leicester be able to complete THIS season, Are you for real. Of course they will. Leicester still get bigger gates than most other tracks.

Haha . not rose tinted glasses but magnifying glasses ,

OK, give us some numbers

recent crowds wouldn't cover outgoings
  • Like 1

I was there last Saturday for the lakeside match and the crowd looked very poor. No doubt the result at purfleet on Friday put a few off.

OK, give us some numbers

Numbers are no concern to you or any one else other than the promoter

The top names in speedway are now just to greedy and are asking for silly money, money that the promoters, bar a few clubs are unable to pay them. When they all rode over here last time, with thier demands, they nearly managed between them to close down a few clubs, the promoters kept paying them until it was almost to late, when the clubs decided to put a limit on what they would pay the riders, we saw a mass exodus of riders, most of them will never ride here again, unless they get what they ask for, the likes of PK who wanted £4000 plus points money. How many clubs could pay this sort of figure to say 3 riders a team and still be running at the end of the season. You need an awful load of bums on the seats to even break even.

good to see you last Saturday at BP

I'm sure that Nightshift is capable of answering my question himself

they are lovely aren't they ,these leicester folk :rofl:

Trust me....Leicester will see the season out.

It would cost them more in fines etc than to carry on.

Every promoter in the history of speedway claims poverty

Edited by nightshift

😆

Aye, only have to get through to end of August now of course, so might scrape through with a bit of luck

and the taxman