British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

So the SCB take the opportunity to do something they may have been awaiting the chance of, for some time.

Whilst the promoters license has been suspended, D.Hemsley as proprietor/director continues to control the company that runs speedway at Beaumont Park, but he can no longer represent the club at the governing body level. Unless he wants to blow his entire bond money, he's unlikely to relinquish that role and I doubt if the SCB has the power to strip him of it, either. Whether his conduct now makes him unfit to be a company director, could be another matter!

So Leicester is left with Darcy and Machin as the BSPA/SCB approved promoters, but at local level Hemsley is effectively still their boss. That must now put Darcy and Machin in potentially a difficult situation. Would they want to continue, because if not, that would really cause a problem wouldn't it?

Presumably the SCB have refused to sanction any new promoter to prevent Mrs Hemsley being introduced as a puppet promoter. It would cause a problem if Darcy and/or Machin decided to walk, but I think the BSPA would ensure Leicester see out the season. This situation can't remain indefinitely. If he didn't pay the fine, would that make him unfit to be a promoter at some point, leading to his license being revoked?

Dave Darcy was very vocal the other week on the microphone about the way the sport is run, hope he doesn't get a fine as I thought he was spot on.

I think the scb/bspa are also loose canons, they are now putting a club at risk of going out of business.

Dave Darcy was very vocal the other week on the microphone about the way the sport is run, hope he doesn't get a fine as I thought he was spot on.

I think the scb/bspa are also loose canons, they are now putting a club at risk of going out of business.

Surely David Helmsley is responsible for his own actions? If Leicester go out of business then it will only be him to blame.

Hopefully this can be resolved for the better and it doesn't come to that.....but that may require Mr Helmsley making an effort to resolve the situation....failing to turn up for the hearing is hardly going to help matters

• Like 3

Surely David Helmsley is responsible for his own actions? If Leicester go out of business then it will only be him to blame.

Hopefully this can be resolved for the better and it doesn't come to that.....but that may require Mr Helmsley making an effort to resolve the situation....failing to turn up for the hearing is hardly going to help matters

I agree with what your saying,however the £9000 fine seems really excessive for speaking your mind about your business interests.

I hope DH puts his statement out now, the fear he may have is getting a further fine for speaking out against the fine.

He can still appeal. Horton did and got the biggest chunk of the fine removed.

Edited by Skidder1

I agree with what your saying,however the £9000 fine seems really excessive for speaking your mind about your business interests.

I hope DH puts his statement out now, the fear he may have is getting a further fine for speaking out against the fine.

I agree, it seems a heavy one and I'm sure DH will have his own version of events. The worry is that this has escalated from a £300 fine on the night (back in April) and has just been ignored by DH ever since. If he continues to ignore it then I can't see it ending well unfortunately. Attending the hearing could have been the first step towards a resolution.....I guess we'll never know. Fingers crossed that something can be sorted.

Presumably the SCB have refused to sanction any new promoter to prevent Mrs Hemsley being introduced as a puppet promoter. It would cause a problem if Darcy and/or Machin decided to walk, but I think the BSPA would ensure Leicester see out the season. This situation can't remain indefinitely. If he didn't pay the fine, would that make him unfit to be a promoter at some point, leading to his license being revoked?

I think someone on here has said the fine could be taken from the bond, if it remained unpaid. Whether thats true or not I dont know, or what the timescale would be. Maybe if that were to happen, would trigger his promoters license being revoked.

Clearly theres been far more going on over the past couple of years than just the recent incident.

Was a bit more than speaking your mind tho. As I read it he was abusive towards the referee, in the refs box. That's inexcusable in any sport. Officials have to be protected, whether they are right or wrong or anarchy follows.

I agree if would help to hear both sides but as with everything in speedway, fans never know the whole truth.

• Like 1

Was a bit more than speaking your mind tho. As I read it he was abusive towards the referee, in the refs box. That's inexcusable in any sport. Officials have to be protected, whether they are right or wrong or anarchy follows.

I agree if would help to hear both sides but as with everything in speedway, fans never know the whole truth.

Yes it's inexcusable towards officials if that was the case but so is a lot of other things that happen in speedway but not heard anyone get a £9000 fine and banned.

Anyhow how can they stop him going where he wants to in his own property?

• Like 1

Whatever you think of DH this punishment is harsh especially when you remember that last season a rider only got a £200 fine and a 21 day suspension for deliberately ramming another rider after a race causing him to miss the rest of the season through injury!

• Like 6

Anybody else find it improper that the SCB hearing had two speedway promoters sitting on it with one clearly having an interest in another Elite League team?

• Like 7

You also have to take into account Mick Bates' many years as a police officer. Not the best person to take on in this instance.

Interestingly,

It looks like the SCB statement regarding Hemsley has been removed from the SpeedwayGB website & the Twitter feed?!?!

Whatever you think of DH this punishment is harsh especially when you remember that last season a rider only got a £200 fine and a 21 day suspension for deliberately ramming another rider after a race causing him to miss the rest of the season through injury!

Anybody else find it improper that the SCB hearing had two speedway promoters sitting on it with one clearly having an interest in another Elite League team?

Absolute joke ....hemsley speaks his mind , yes he was out of order, but he's a passionate individual...a fine that big is a scandal. no one got hurt, no one was hospitalised,

the charge of bringing the sport into disrepute can be hung on to all promoters

just read some of there press releases....

one of matt fords press releases was the banning of an official, ( a referee) chris durno from being able to officiate at poole anymore due to him wat ford thought was wrongly excluding a poole rider

there have been many others where ford and other promoters have slammed each other, the rules , the scb, officials etc in the press

Interestingly,

It looks like the SCB statement regarding Hemsley has been removed from the SpeedwayGB website & the Twitter feed?!?!

It is still there but you need to click on the 'News' tab to be able to see it. The ones on the right hand side of the screen are all newer releases.