British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

David Hemsley has never been popular with a lot of people for usually very good reasons. He ditched Sam, for the better I think, but he also ditched the very people who had been with him to set up the whole project in the early days. He went ahead with a poor designed track in a very good mini stadium. He did things his way that people didn't like, and totally messed up the adjoining park area with rubbish being dumped on his land for income. He seems to have man management issues, and in this case he has obviously let fly with bad behaviour and dubious actions, which no promoter should do. LionsDen has highlighted what he knows happened, and it does not make pleasant reading. You should not like to support his(DH) actions, and must accept that that sort of behaviour has to be challenged and sanctions imposed on him. Banning him and fining him, seems to most folks a reasonable response, even with the complication of him still being the owner, which is not then compatible with a banned promoter.

So an errant promoter is taken to task for his actions, which were against laid down practices with the BSPA/SCB. Whether the sanctions are too severe or about right, we will never know, as none of us know exactly what happened, except he failed to appear when he was commanded to do so. Not good form from a businessman, who elected to join an organisation and signed to abide with the 'rules' of that organisation. No man is an island.

So the charges are known, the penalties are known. But instead of his actions being condemned and the penalties accepted, the BSPA gets the criticism for taking the action, despite a mix of BSPA/SCB is the expected mix for a disciplinary committee. What should the BSPA have done in the circumstances, when their rules are the ones that are broken, along with the breeches of SCB protocol.

Unfortunately, many on here have a BSPA phobia, which clouds their natural justice. So they turn on the BSPA/SCB as if they were the miscreants in this whole business. Yes, the BSPA are not perfect and have make many mistakes in the past, and continue to do so. Given that there are agreed representations for these sort of discipline matters within both the BSPA/SCB, abiding by them should not then doubt the eligibility of anybody sitting in judgement on this case. Unless of course you have a greater issues with either/both organisations, and are allowing them to cloud your judgement.

It seems to me a lot of folks on here are using this case to air their opposition per se, instead of stepping back, looking at the bigger picture, reading the post from LionsDen, then making a rational response.

Will it happen, will it hell. Very surprised at some who have joined in.

I think this is possibly the most Ironic post I have ever read . way back in 2010 . when I pointed out the many and varied shortcomings of David Hemsley , and the misconceptions about his actual input in bringing speedway back to Leicester , YOU set out to belittle me and along with a little posse of rose tinted fools who have long since fell by the wayside . mudslung accusations of jealousy ,spite , envy and every other insult you thought would make yourself look clever in the eyes of your clucking followers , well here we are in 2016 and everything I expressed concern about and got villified for has come to pass plus a whole lot more .. well let me just say . it's took 6 years and 5 seasons to reach this point , and despite the fact that i wish the best for the leicester supporters I'm gonna enjoy saying this ..... I told you so

• Like 3

I would not want Bees to fold. Would not like to see any side disappear . Just do not think it would be good for our club to go and Cov move in. That's just a bit to much to take.

That won't happen as it wouldn't be a Coventry team. If the Bees can't continue to ride at Brandon then 2016 will be the last season, which is sadly something the majority of us are expecting anyway. Who knows what will happen next year or if there will even be an Elite League, but surely for Leicester fans the prospect of riding on a Friday night with Chris Harris as your number one must sound rather attractive? :unsure:

• Like 1

I think this is possibly the most Ironic post I have ever read . way back in 2010 . when I pointed out the many and varied shortcomings of David Hemsley , and the misconceptions about his actual input in bringing speedway back to Leicester , YOU set out to belittle me and along with a little posse of rose tinted fools who have long since fell by the wayside . mudslung accusations of jealousy ,spite , envy and every other insult you thought would make yourself look clever in the eyes of your clucking followers , well here we are in 2016 and everything I expressed concern about and got villified for has come to pass plus a whole lot more .. well let me just say . it's took 6 years and 5 seasons to reach this point , and despite the fact that i wish the best for the leicester supporters I'm gonna enjoy saying this ..... I told you so

I actually agree you "told me so'. At that time you were like a wrecking ball trying to damage the project, which was going to give Leicester a speedway team once again. Even sending me notes of evidence hoping I would support your damning views and actions. I love to follow all development projects, especially the Birmingham development, as such initiatives deserve support when there are high risks and with big money at risk. I have never been a great fan of Hemsley's style, especially man management, but he was delivering and did deliver something that nobody else would have delivered. In those days it was your attitude and actions that were wrong, whilst Hemsley's persistence delivered what he produced with great personal risk. Once delivered, he has not always made the right decisions to develop it further and that to me is his biggest mistake. He has done wrong in this disciplinary matter and been punished for it. The irony is that several on here, with a severe complex of the BSPA/SCB, would now think that Hemsley is not the guilty party, but blame the authorities for doing something about it. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

I actually agree you "told me so'. At that time you were like a wrecking ball trying to damage the project, which was going to give Leicester a speedway team once again. Even sending me notes of evidence hoping I would support your damning views and actions. I love to follow all development projects, especially the Birmingham development, as such initiatives deserve support when there are high risks and with big money at risk. I have never been a great fan of Hemsley's style, especially man management, but he was delivering and did deliver something that nobody else would have delivered. In those days it was your attitude and actions that were wrong, whilst Hemsley's persistence delivered what he produced with great personal risk. Once delivered, he has not always made the right decisions to develop it further and that to me is his biggest mistake. He has done wrong in this disciplinary matter and been punished for it. The irony is that several on here, with a severe complex of the BSPA/SCB, would now think that Hemsley is not the guilty party, but blame the authorities for doing something about it. Unbelievable.

Oh I see , just Like the old school bully who cannot ever admit to being wrong .. initially I was a little bothered that you were twisting everything i said , and in some instances projecting your own view of what my posts actually said . also making up complete packs of lies and attributing them to me , however in the subsequent years I have seen your modus operandi applied to several other posters ,and now realise that your complete lack of integrity ( especailly fabricating the contents of PMS and posting them publicly ) was not personal since you have done the same sort of thing many times with other posters over the and rather than be offended by your attacks .It's far better to show you a little sympathy . anyway having said my piece I'll just go back to ignoring anything you post and not responding to it ,for another 5 years

lets put this in context helmsley fined £9000 and 12 month ban for basically abusive behaviour, was anyone assaulted,hospitalised, is there a police investigation for gbh????

( im not saying hemsley is innocent im saying the punishment does not fit the crime by bsap/scb standards)

a rider deliberately knocks a rider off, injures rider , rider misses rest of season..............penalty----- £200 fine and 2 week ban

i rest my case....

Edited by heathen chemistry
  • Like 2

lets put this in context helmsley fined £9000 and 12 month ban for basically abusive behaviour, was anyone assaulted,hospitalised, is there a police investigation for gbh????

( im not saying hemsley is innocent im saying the punishment does not fit the crime by bsap/scb standards)

a rider deliberately knocks a rider off, injures rider , rider misses rest of season..............penalty----- £200 fine and 2 week ban

i rest my case....

That comparison doesn't really work though does it. A footballer can break someone's leg and get a 3 week ban, but allegedly make a racist comment and be banned for months. A footballer can be fined 100k for swearing but someone get a fine for committing an assAult 10p times less.

As for it being his own stadium. You think the Glazers could walk onto the pitch at old Trafford during a match, or the referees dressing room before a game, and escape a fine? If you enter a competition you sign up to a set of rules, and if you break them you are subject to the disciplinary procedures you signed up to.

That's not to say the fine here is necessarily fare, the full details aren't in the public domain, but your arguments are flawed

• Like 2

That won't happen as it wouldn't be a Coventry team. If the Bees can't continue to ride at Brandon then 2016 will be the last season, which is sadly something the majority of us are expecting anyway. Who knows what will happen next year or if there will even be an Elite League, but surely for Leicester fans the prospect of riding on a Friday night with Chris Harris as your number one must sound rather attractive? :unsure:

If we fold then I couldn't see Harris going to Leicester as he's said himself that that is not a track he really likes (Lakeside his least fave)

I could see him being at Wolves or Belle Vue.

Not much point in having a management committee then.

Correct.....!

The irony is that Speedway will not allow any independent body or person to run the sport and adjudicate on decisions yet it has an MC that does exactly the same....

Except of course by their very own position within the sport they will (and can never be) seen as strictly impartial

Simply any vested interest that they invariably have in the outcome will render their decision (no matter how honestly made) appear made for their own agenda...

And on the circus goes.....

i rest my case....

I think the fine reflects the fact that this is not the first time Hemsley has fell foul of the BSPA , but it is the first time they have had anything concrete and public enough to take action .

Correct.....!

The irony is that Speedway will not allow any independent body or person to run the sport and adjudicate on decisions yet it has an MC that does exactly the same....

Except of course by their very own position within the sport they will (and can never be) seen as strictly impartial

Simply any vested interest that they invariably have in the outcome will render their decision (no matter how honestly made) appear made for their own agenda...

And on the circus goes.....

looking at the bigger picture . these 2 sets of stubborn goats .could see Leicester close because of their silly king of the playground ego's . the bspa are the absolute masters of shooting themselves and the supporters in the foot . and they would rather see leicester close down (thereby getting their hands on the bond) than work to find a solution where another team is not lost yet the problems are pushed aside . the bspa killed milton keynes . and were half way to killing off Coventry and Peterborough ( well they still can be blamed for killing off the former and will by me for sure )

• Like 2

If we fold then I couldn't see Harris going to Leicester as he's said himself that that is not a track he really likes (Lakeside his least fave)

I could see him being at Wolves or Belle Vue.

Fair enough but I'm sure he's had some pretty good meetings there. My memory is awful but didn't he win the meeting for Wolves last season by passing the Lions rider/s on the 4th bend in heat 15? Another thing to consider is the journey to your home track. A nice easy quick wizz up the M69 from Coventry to Leicester or tackle the M6 or trip to Manchester on a Friday. I know which I'd prefer.

Fair enough but I'm sure he's had some pretty good meetings there. My memory is awful but didn't he win the meeting for Wolves last season by passing the Lions rider/s on the 4th bend in heat 15? Another thing to consider is the journey to your home track. A nice easy quick wizz up the M69 from Coventry to Leicester or tackle the M6 or trip to Manchester on a Friday. I know which I'd prefer.

Bomber normally goes pretty well round Leicester... Hard to tell if it's because he rides the track well or if it's because he's riding against our weak team though!

I think the fine reflects the fact that this is not the first time Hemsley has fell foul of the BSPA , but it is the first time they have had anything concrete and public enough to take action .

looking at the bigger picture . these 2 sets of stubborn goats .could see Leicester close because of their silly king of the playground ego's . the bspa are the absolute masters of shooting themselves and the supporters in the foot . and they would rather see leicester close down (thereby getting their hands on the bond) than work to find a solution where another team is not lost yet the problems are pushed aside . the bspa killed milton keynes . and were half way to killing off Coventry and Peterborough ( well they still can be blamed for killing off the former and will by me for sure )

Your right the bspa are to blame on killing clubs, MK yes, Peterborough was nearly closed twice by them ,Coventry nearly closed twice,even Banned there promoter as he spoke out about Poole rule bending and the bspa banned him,fellow promoters in charge of the ban.

The sport must have an independent board as its a dictatorship run sport.

Edited by robert72
  • Like 2

Why would that happen? Who would be stupid enough to run Coventry Speedway at Leicester without Leicester having their own team?

More likely that both clubs will fold.

Surely is Coventry are track-less and Leicester are promoter-less the solution is for Mick to take over Leicester. He could keep the best of the Leicester set-up and the name but could take the better bits of Coventry, some riders, sponsors, backroom team and a few fans might pop along too if theres some familiarity but it would still be Leicester and the people of Leicester would support it.

To move Coventry to Leicester in place of (or even in addition to) Leciester would be madness and would work for nobody at all.

i rest my case....

He entertains a fantasy of being some kind of heroic renegade, stirring up the established order and emerging triumphant.

This usually ends up in either of two outcomes:

1. Go down in history as a hero

2. Go down in history a a complete prat

• Like 1

That comparison doesn't really work though does it. A footballer can break someone's leg and get a 3 week ban, but allegedly make a racist comment and be banned for months. A footballer can be fined 100k for swearing but someone get a fine for committing an assAult 10p times less.

As for it being his own stadium. You think the Glazers could walk onto the pitch at old Trafford during a match, or the referees dressing room before a game, and escape a fine? If you enter a competition you sign up to a set of rules, and if you break them you are subject to the disciplinary procedures you signed up to.

That's not to say the fine here is necessarily fare, the full details aren't in the public domain, but your arguments are flawed

i think your arguement flawed, the rider getting deliberately knocked off happened after the race, so if a footballer broke another player leg after the whistle while walking back to the changing rooms would he get the same punishment ? i think there would be outcry for a total ban on the player ,

ive never heard of a footballer being fined 100,000 for swearing! and if they was its only a weeks salary to them

Edited by heathen chemistry