British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Decent signing. His effort and enthusiasm were obvious against Swindon. Quick race winning times too. Not sure what position he'd be riding in though?

• Like 1

Court Hearing Response Posted: 09 Jun 2016 17:06

Letter from David Hemsley to the ACU General Secretary, Gary Thompson, in response to the decision of the disciplinary court hearing:

8th June 2016

Dear Gary

Re: Disciplinary Court Hearing: Tuesday 31st May 2016.

I am writing to appeal against the decision made during the SCB Disciplinary Court Hearing on 31st May 2016 and confirmed by recorded delivery of mail which was received on the 7th June 2016. Enclosed is a cheque for £300.00 as the appeal fee.

This appeal is being submitted on the level of the fine and is broken down into the severn charges as follows, also additional information is required on what action is being implemented by the SCB on its officials to ensure that similar inflammatory actions are not implemented by its officers in the future.

The Appeal Grounds Directly against the charges:

Article 3.2.5 No comments of mine were fraudulent in deed the actions of the SCB official were completely such, in that he was dishonest to the paying public at Leicester Speedway.

Article 3.2.7 The actions of the SCB official were prejudicial to the interests of the sport, namely being dishonest to the public and directly incurring commercial losses to this club which we will seek to reclaim against the fine levied.

Finally on the appeal issue, we will be taking up the major health and safety issue, danger and risk of serious injury or potential death to riders by the licence official by not under his own initiative stopping the starting procedure to heat 13 when the licence official had already turned off the floodlights to the start finish straight of the speedway stadium. We will be seeking Council from our insurers Doodson Broking Group Ltd in terms of the proposed action and remedial measures your staff should implement.

The level of the fine demonstrates the lack of understanding of the current commercial position of British Speedway in a sustainable position, indeed the actions of the licensed official and the commercial impact of this on Leicester Speedway will be demonstrated through this process with evidence that proves the material and ongoing damage of his error. The scale of the fine set against the average weekly income of a speedway fixture is so disproportionate that it indicates to me that the SCB does not wish to see Leicester Speedway operate again this season and wants to influence a change in Management Structure of the Business.

Moreover, I will assert that based upon the commercial and health and safety failings by the SCB directly and indirectly arising from this matter, I will require a full briefing on how the SCB will deal with the appropriate action, training and education of its own officials to ensure that no other members of the BSPA has this issue in the future and our insurers can be informed accordingly to ensure continuity of cover and best practice through continued professional development and learning.

To completion I would also wish to make it clear that the manner and content of the publication of the news of the disciplinary action on the BSPAs website was prejudicial to the interests of Leicester Speedway, inaccurate in content and misleading and I will again be seeking recompense going forward against the SCB for this matter, the extent of which can not be fully quantified at this time.

Attached to this document is the evidence and report of events that I presented to the BSPA and email communication between myself and Mr Graham Reeve regarding the dates of the appeal.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Your sincerely

David M Hemsley

• Like 4

I dIddnt understand any of that but sounds good lol

• Like 1

Totally agree. Davey Watt has been an excellent rider in his career both here and in Poland where he held down a team berth for quite a few seasons.

He has been a very good second heat leader in his time and was reliable.

But his personal life has dragged him down. He seemed fine pre season but the sport moves on and the days of just turning up at p&p and expect to carry on where you left off are long gone. Out of season riders are not dossing about. They are going to the gym every day, some Watt himself said he couldnt stand, and working on getting their equipment spot on for the start of the season.

From day one Davey was off the pace, blaming his gear. But there was more to it than that. He let his personal life affect his riding to such an extent Matt git rid of him.

A move to Leicester might have resurrected his season but his scoring was just as bad. I heard that he is back with his Polish girlfriend but it didnt make any difference on track. Perhaps he is skint and can't afford quality gear, though thats just speculation.

The same fate that hit Adam Sheilds seems to have hit Watt.

Personally, I hope he can continue next season in the PL. He has given the sport in the UK quite a lot and it would be fair for the sport to allow him a couple more seasons at a lower level. Just my opinion of course.

Adam Shields career was ended basically by injury, but it's more complicated with Davey.

Davey has his critics but I can't really fault him in his years for Lakeside, and with hindsight his first two years there may prove to be the Indian Summer of his career , and indeed arguably his best ever two years. His third year with the Hammers was dragged down by injury, personal problems, and having to ride out of position as first heatleader when at best he was only really a second heatleader as Steve says. He was also a very good captain, applying himself to the job as much at Lakeside as he did at Poole.

If the BSPA are serious about using the PL as a development league for young up and coming riders then Davey has a hell of a lot to offer and still has a few years left in him to be a valuable captain to any PL club. I, for one, hope we have not seen the last of him in British Speedwáy.

• Like 4

I dIddnt understand any of that but sounds good lol

Me neither. Might as well have been written in a foreign language, or perhaps it is Double Dutch. :blink:

Read it again, it's not that complicated, even I get it 😆

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

Read it again, it's not that complicated, even I get it 😆

Can you break it down for us thickos:) ;)

• Like 1

Court Hearing Response Posted: 09 Jun 2016 17:06

Letter from David Hemsley to the ACU General Secretary, Gary Thompson, in response to the decision of the disciplinary court hearing:

8th June 2016

Dear Gary

Re: Disciplinary Court Hearing: Tuesday 31st May 2016.

I am writing to appeal against the decision made during the SCB Disciplinary Court Hearing on 31st May 2016 and confirmed by recorded delivery of mail which was received on the 7th June 2016. Enclosed is a cheque for £300.00 as the appeal fee.

This appeal is being submitted on the level of the fine and is broken down into the severn charges as follows, also additional information is required on what action is being implemented by the SCB on its officials to ensure that similar inflammatory actions are not implemented by its officers in the future.

The Appeal Grounds Directly against the charges:

Article 3.2.5 No comments of mine were fraudulent in deed the actions of the SCB official were completely such, in that he was dishonest to the paying public at Leicester Speedway.

Article 3.2.7 The actions of the SCB official were prejudicial to the interests of the sport, namely being dishonest to the public and directly incurring commercial losses to this club which we will seek to reclaim against the fine levied.

Finally on the appeal issue, we will be taking up the major health and safety issue, danger and risk of serious injury or potential death to riders by the licence official by not under his own initiative stopping the starting procedure to heat 13 when the licence official had already turned off the floodlights to the start finish straight of the speedway stadium. We will be seeking Council from our insurers Doodson Broking Group Ltd in terms of the proposed action and remedial measures your staff should implement.

The level of the fine demonstrates the lack of understanding of the current commercial position of British Speedway in a sustainable position, indeed the actions of the licensed official and the commercial impact of this on Leicester Speedway will be demonstrated through this process with evidence that proves the material and ongoing damage of his error. The scale of the fine set against the average weekly income of a speedway fixture is so disproportionate that it indicates to me that the SCB does not wish to see Leicester Speedway operate again this season and wants to influence a change in Management Structure of the Business.

Moreover, I will assert that based upon the commercial and health and safety failings by the SCB directly and indirectly arising from this matter, I will require a full briefing on how the SCB will deal with the appropriate action, training and education of its own officials to ensure that no other members of the BSPA has this issue in the future and our insurers can be informed accordingly to ensure continuity of cover and best practice through continued professional development and learning.

To completion I would also wish to make it clear that the manner and content of the publication of the news of the disciplinary action on the BSPAs website was prejudicial to the interests of Leicester Speedway, inaccurate in content and misleading and I will again be seeking recompense going forward against the SCB for this matter, the extent of which can not be fully quantified at this time.

Attached to this document is the evidence and report of events that I presented to the BSPA and email communication between myself and Mr Graham Reeve regarding the dates of the appeal.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Your sincerely

David M Hemsley

A very good appeal letter in my opinion. He has raised a number of issues but in my opinion the one which has the potential to cause the SCB the biggest headache is explaining for the benefit of rider and public safety, what if any ongoing training and assessments ALL referees receive.

I believe the insurance company who provide indemnities for British speedway will take a great interest in this and one would hope it will lead to an improvement in the quality of refereeing over coming years.

From previous dealings with Gary Thompson, I am confident Mr Hemsley will get a fair appeals hearing.... which I for one will not question the outcome of.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 1

Seconds out - Round Two.

• Like 2

Totally agree. Davey Watt has been an excellent rider in his career both here and in Poland where he held down a team berth for quite a few seasons.

He has been a very good second heat leader in his time and was reliable.

But his personal life has dragged him down. He seemed fine pre season but the sport moves on and the days of just turning up at p&p and expect to carry on where you left off are long gone. Out of season riders are not dossing about. They are going to the gym every day, some Watt himself said he couldnt stand, and working on getting their equipment spot on for the start of the season.

From day one Davey was off the pace, blaming his gear. But there was more to it than that. He let his personal life affect his riding to such an extent Matt git rid of him.

A move to Leicester might have resurrected his season but his scoring was just as bad. I heard that he is back with his Polish girlfriend but it didnt make any difference on track. Perhaps he is skint and can't afford quality gear, though thats just speculation.

The same fate that hit Adam Sheilds seems to have hit Watt.

Personally, I hope he can continue next season in the PL. He has given the sport in the UK quite a lot and it would be fair for the sport to allow him a couple more seasons at a lower level. Just my opinion of course.

A 5.40 average could make him a decent signing for someone later in the season if/when his form improves abroad?! :P:wink:

Edited by Skidder1

A 5.40 average could make him a decent signing for someone later in the season if/when his form improves abroad?! :P:wink:

If his average is now 5.4 he will be able to ride PL which is good for him.

Is he getting any rides abroad?

If his average is now 5.4 he will be able to ride PL which is good for him.

Is he getting any rides abroad?

I've been told he cannot ride PL until next season as his average at the start of 2016 was over 6.

I assume, if the rules stay the same should he want to ride PL next season he won't want to add much to his current average

Edited by Star Lady

You really think replacing someone that's been as weak as watts been for us is getting weaker? Only weaker in reputation (and our reputation isn't exactly sky high)

Watt as a heat leader has been tripe but Watt on a 5.4 average and down to second string would be fairly decent. What you have now is Lindgren jnr at second string and I can't see him scoring much more than 5 or 6 which Watt would have done at second string and some more.

I'd not have gone near Watt when Leicester did personally but having signed him, got his average down so he's in his rightful place as a second string(BTW someone, can't think who ;) suggested all winter Watt was a second string and shouldn't be on the heat leader list!).

The issue for Leicester is basically, Hougaard aside, they don't have a heat leader. They have the odd rider who can score a few in reserve or at second string intermittently but not as heat leader. When you signed Summers I laughed as he was quite clearly not a heat leader and his 3.59 average for 2016 proves that, it's only fractionally higher than Watts!

So the revolving door at Leicester is unlocked again and back in use let's see which riders come through it this time.

I had doubts over the last two signings as in my view are not presently up to EL standards and I have unfortunately been proved correct.

The next move is crucial as there was a better crowd last night and need to get some more home wins

Well.........what do you think??

I've been told he cannot ride PL until next season as his average at the start of 2016 was over 6.

I assume, if the rules stay the same should he want to ride PL next season he won't want to add much to his current average

They must have changed the rules since Joe (cheating) Screen was allowed to use Wolves to get his average low enough to drop into the PL in the same season.

• Like 1