Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

I hope that all of you out there who, for whatever reason, have stopped going to Beaumont Park try to go on the 22nd if you can to demonstrate to any potential new promoter that there is still a large fan base who want to see speedway stay in Leicester.

• Like 7

I think Leicester were spoiled having Doyle as #1 for their first two years, without any assets. Next year will be fun looking at averages. Lakeside & Swindon need to drop a few riders, bizarrely higher ranked teams don't.

If you look back to the time when JD signed up for the Lions the general consensus was that the Lions would struggle without a recognized no.1 - yes, although hard to believe three years ago Doyley wasn't seen as a "real" No.1 and the Robins couldn't fit him into their line up. As the saying goes...The rest is History...I don't think the Lions were spoiled...just fortunate to have had him, and unfortunate that they raced on a Saturday which clearly does not fit with any GP riders schedule and so off he went.

Lets hope that the weather doe's not spoil the meeting on Saturday, it as been called so so many times now, it would put Magic Roundabout to shame.

I agree that as many fans as possible turn out for this meeting. There will be hell to play when it comes to the end of the meeting if nothing is mentioned about what is going to happen next season. I am sure that they know what is going on, can't for the life of me see why nothing has been mentioned before now. Is it a case of just how DH as always disregarded the fans, or is it that there is a new owner and prometer waiting in the wings. Surely they will make a statement on Saturday. Just hope to see at leasta 2000 plus turn out, doubt it but at least it would make with some pretty load boo's if there is nothing said. Don't want to see speedway gone from the city again.

• Like 1

From the horses mouth last night. riders not been paid for months all the bond has gone from earlier in season promotor totally oblivious to the whole rider relationship.

Club being sold, premier league for the lions next season. The final meeting of the season will be administered by the bspa with gate receipts going to the riders payments. Let's hope we get a decent crowd to support those guys who put there lives on the line for our entertainment month in month out. Whilst I accept Helmsley is the promotor what about the co promotors don't they take any responsibility here....

Shame on you Helmsley all you had to do was swallow some humble pride listen to those offering support and you may just still have a business that could develop further within a strong midlands catchment area..

lets hope then , that someone can drag Hemsley through the courts and ensure his assets are sold to pay outstanding rider wages ,

The Bond ,held by the BSPA is to ensure riders wages are paid in the event of a club failing , The BSPA have a track record of taking the bond for reasons other than it's primary objective .and this case is no different , most likely the bond has been taken in

fines and split between the BSPA members , rather than ensuring outstanding debt is paid first , By the time the BSPA have taken their administration out of the gate from the final meeting their will be pennies left to pay the outstanding debt to riders , I would personally like to hear , from Tsunami , Bwithcher, Mrlincolncity their take on the whole situation , since they were all more than happy to accuse me of jealousy and spite 6 years ago when I forecasted this eventual scenario . an apology would be nice but I wont hold my breath because not one of them have the integrity to admit they were wrong ..

Lets hope that the weather doe's not spoil the meeting on Saturday, it as been called so so many times now, it would put Magic Roundabout to shame.

I agree that as many fans as possible turn out for this meeting. There will be hell to play when it comes to the end of the meeting if nothing is mentioned about what is going to happen next season. I am sure that they know what is going on, can't for the life of me see why nothing has been mentioned before now. Is it a case of just how DH as always disregarded the fans, or is it that there is a new owner and prometer waiting in the wings. Surely they will make a statement on Saturday. Just hope to see at leasta 2000 plus turn out, doubt it but at least it would make with some pretty load boo's if there is nothing said. Don't want to see speedway gone from the city again.

[/quote

why do you want a large crowd ? so that the BSPA can fill their pockets ,Becvause if you think the riders who are owed money will see any of the takings ,you need to get to specsavers quick sharp

Nothing to do with riders wages, this should be the first thing they should pay though before anything else. There is still no mention on who is riding anyway, the Lions could be a team of 7 NL for all we know.

The only thing that needs is for those who should stand up and be counted to do so. They should all stand there with heads bowed DH included to tell the fans what has gone wrong, we all know that anyway. Most of all they should stand there telling all the Lions fans what if anything is happening to the club for the coming 2017 season.

Can I see them doing it NO.

3A lot of hard work has been put into not only getting the stadium up and running getting the sport back into the City. By a lot of people, this has now been put in jepordy by one very selfish man who would not sit and listen, but carried on in his own merry little way. A Robin Hood in reverse who robbed the poor to pay the rich and try to fulfil his dream, far to soon of getting the Lions into the EL.

The fans turnrd up to PL meeting so why change it before the club was ready, give it a few more years, get some money into the club, because after joining the EL in 3 years he managed to bleed the club dry.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with riders wages, this should be the first thing they should pay though before anything else. There is still no mention on who is riding anyway, the Lions could be a team of 7 NL for all we know.

The only thing that needs is for those who should stand up and be counted to do so. They should all stand there with heads bowed DH included to tell the fans what has gone wrong, we all know that anyway. Most of all they should stand there telling all the Lions fans what if anything is happening to the club for the coming 2017 season.

Can I see them doing it NO.

3A lot of hard work has been put into not only getting the stadium up and running getting the sport back into the City. By a lot of people, this has now been put in jepordy by one very selfish man who would not sit and listen, but carried on in his own merry little way. A Robin Hood in reverse who robbed the poor to pay the rich and try to fulfil his dream, far to soon of getting the Lions into the EL.

The fans turnrd up to PL meeting so why change it before the club was ready, give it a few more years, get some money into the club, because after joining the EL in 3 years he managed to bleed the club dry.

Ok, so put David Hemsley in the Stocks.....and who else? Come on man, name names

DH won't 'stand up' and explain as he's still suspended and not allowed anywhere near the speedway side of the stadium!!

It has got to be very hard to put names to where averything has gone so terribly wrong. There is someone, or some people who knew how bad things where getting and they just lumbered on. If I was one of them I could not stand looking at myself in the mirror, knowing that I owed money to my riders, who still kept turning up.

So yes someone has to take the blame, be it a simple speedway club or one of the worlds leading banks, there is always someone who has to stand up and be counted at the end of the day.

I have not got a clue what went on behind closed doors at BP. But there are some there who do. Just hope they can let people know what is going on next year on Saturday night. Surely they just can't finish the meeting with no little speach being made what has happened and what the future holds next year for the club.

It has got to be very hard to put names to where averything has gone so terribly wrong. There is someone, or some people who knew how bad things where getting and they just lumbered on. If I was one of them I could not stand looking at myself in the mirror, knowing that I owed money to my riders, who still kept turning up.

So yes someone has to take the blame, be it a simple speedway club or one of the worlds leading banks, there is always someone who has to stand up and be counted at the end of the day.

I have not got a clue what went on behind closed doors at BP. But there are some there who do. Just hope they can let people know what is going on next year on Saturday night. Surely they just can't finish the meeting with no little speach being made what has happened and what the future holds next year for the club.

Do we actually know for fact riders are owed lots of money? I know people have said that they've been told by someone who's bezzie mate knows the girlfriend of whoever.........

But, do we know all the facts? No

We do not know enough to categorically say anything really about monies owed/not owed to riders, I would love someone who races for Leicester to actually state "I haven't been paid in full by Leicester, for services rendered on track this season"

Doubt we'll here anything though until after October 31st 2016

And then I would still doubt it....

Other tracks are rumoured to owe riders monies as well, are they not?

Edited by Shale Searcher

As you say it is just rumours, seems to have been a lot of them though. Has been mentioned on here that there was an article in S Star, don't have so can't be sure on that one.

On another matter how many on here will actually turn up on Saturday night, It would be good to give these lads a good send off. It seems like forever since thay raced last.

Do we actually know for fact riders are owed lots of money? I know people have said that they've been told by someone who's bezzie mate knows the girlfriend of whoever.........

But, do we know all the facts? No

We do not know enough to categorically say anything really about monies owed/not owed to riders, I would love someone who races for Leicester to actually state "I haven't been paid in full by Leicester, for services rendered on track this season"

Doubt we'll here anything though until after October 31st 2016

And then I would still doubt it....

Other tracks are rumoured to owe riders monies as well, are they not?

When attending the recent ERC at coventry I spoke to a member of the leicester employed staff who categorically told me was owed thousands of pounds. I don't wish to advise of the name as I don't think is fair to the individual but please be assured I'm no liar and have only ever stated facts.

When attending the recent ERC at coventry I spoke to a member of the leicester employed staff who categorically told me was owed thousands of pounds. I don't wish to advise of the name as I don't think is fair to the individual but please be assured I'm no liar and have only ever stated facts.

Fair enough, but if he's owed "thousands" it's got to have been a rider......