British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2016

From Twitter:

BRITISH Speedway vice-chairman Rob Godfrey is keen to explain why Peterborough's bid to sign Craig Cook has failed - Godfrey: "You cannot sign a rider when he already rides for a club on your racenight." "I advised Peterborough promoter Ged Rathbone that any such move was unlikely to be approved." "King's Lynn switched from a Wednesday to a Thursday and as a consequence they had to lose Lewis Kerr (for the same reason)." "Peterborough are a... Friday night racetrack as in the promoter's guide and Craig already rides for Belle Vue who are also a Friday track." "Craig is more than welcome to ride in the Premier League, but not for a Friday night track." "If we allowed it to happen now, everyone would be trying the same thing." "I hope people, even our fiercest critics, can at least appreciate my explanation as to how this decision was reached."

But Weds/Thurs night clubs can sign Danes and Friday/sat/sun clubs can sign Poles. So what's the difference in practical terms. Those clubs will get a facility for them so for the sake of 3 clashes but now 2 Brits are out of a job.

Total crap from the BSPA

• Like 5

I bet its because of that tosser harkness with his own fat greedy interests at heart..and I thought he had been moved on...I am so pissed with British speedway..I wish all these comments were all seen and heard at a higher level...can't someone with skills copy and paste them all on a bspa website for all to see!....#fuming

Really :shock:

well if I was a betting man I wouldn't listen to your betting ideas :lol:

can you explain what these greedy interests are ?

you do know its 2016 and alex harkess is NOT on the management committee of the BSPA :neutral:

how can a rider ride for two clubs who ride on the same night .?

• Like 1

You do get some idiots in this world what is surprising that BSPA seem to have more than their fair share.

• Like 1

Surely the nights the fixtures clash we use a guest? It's that simple and they'd be no shortage of guests to use

Stop being logical you will give the BSPA apaplexy

You do get some idiots in this world what is surprising that BSPA seem to have more than their fair share.

BSF as well.

• Like 1

Isn't the whole point of the matter that a rider cannot double-up between two tracks with the same race-night. There may be only three clashes at the moment, but what happens when Belle Vue do get underway and reschedule all their postponed meetings? Won't most of those get rescheduled in for Friday nights?

Doubling-up is already a bit of a mess, and puts people off, when half a team is missing.

All the best

Rob

The whole British League is a mess Rob, I can even remember a promoter sitting on his track to stop the meeting when he didn't get his own way. And decisions like those announced this morning don't help one little jot.

Isn't the whole point of the matter that a rider cannot double-up between two tracks with the same race-night. There may be only three clashes at the moment, but what happens when Belle Vue do get underway and reschedule all their postponed meetings? Won't most of those get rescheduled in for Friday nights?

Doubling-up is already a bit of a mess, and puts people off, when half a team is missing.

All the best

Rob

Thanks for being Honest and Open Rob top man

Double up / double down / double down, down.

All are inherently bad for speedway in the UK.

It removes loyalty, team togetherness, team/fan identity..

This is one of the many reasons speedway is in decline...

I also think that fingers are being pointed in the wrong direction. According to Godfrey, he told Ged Rathbone that signing Cook was unlikely to be permitted but Rathbone went ahead anyway. If that's true, then Rathbone is to blame for what has happened, not the BSPA.

To be fair, Peterboro did not want to announce this until the BSPA had ruled on it. That decision was taken out of their hands by Porsing and/or his manager who leaked the story on social media. So really it's a bit harsh to blame Rathbone.

I wonder whether the fans would have been given any explanation had it not been for the explosion of tweets/fb posts/BSF posts that followed the initial announcement. I applaud the fact they have tried to give fans an explanation even tho I think it's crap.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 1

Thanks for being Honest and Open Rob top man

I'm not Rob Godfrey (the clue is in the sig!), but I agree, his statement on the BSPA website has clarified the whole situation, and made it very clear why doubling-up between two tracks on the same race-night is not allowed.

A sign that maybe the BSPA has changed, with more transparency and explaining how a decision has been made. In this case, it was simple common-sense.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Really :shock:

well if I was a betting man I wouldn't listen to your betting ideas :lol:

can you explain what these greedy interests are ?

you do know its 2016 and alex harkess is NOT on the management committee of the BSPA :neutral:

how can a rider ride for two clubs who ride on the same night .?

Lol. 3 clashes - that happens even when a rider is signed to two clubs with completely different race nights because no one sticks to it these days. For whatever reasons Sky TV schedule, weather plus cancellations and re-arrangements, Bank holidays, GP weekends, foreign championships the list is endless.

• Like 5