British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
guitar_art

A Big Thank You To Adam Ellis

Adam Ellis praised for loyalty to Birmingham Brummies

09:31, 17 September 2015
By Ryan Guest

Birmingham boss Graham Drury has praised the loyalty of top star Adam Ellis for seeing out the season with the club .

The 19-year-old dropped back down to the National League after failing to secure a Premier League team spot prior to the start of the season.

Drury has now revealed how the Surestop Brummies could have been left stranded without a No.1 on six occasions, but Ellis opted to stay with the Perry Barr outfit and commit himself to the famous red and yellow.

He said: “Struggling Premier League clubs or teams with injuries naturally look to who’s performing well in the league below on an attractive average and Adam has been by far the stand-out rider of the National League this season .

“If Adam had joined a Premier League club at any point during the season, the rules indicated that he would have had to automatically forfeit his team spot in the National League.

“I explained all of this to Adam prior to the start of the season and he said to me: ‘you’ve got my word that I won’t go anywhere – I’ve signed up for Birmingham and I’ll still be here at the end of the season’.

“As a promoter or manager, I’ve heard lines like that so many times but I have to give Adam a huge amount of credit because he stuck to his word.

“During the course of the season, six different Premier League clubs contacted me and asked me if they had permission to speak to Adam.

“It wouldn’t be right for me to tell them no and halt his progression in the sport but it was actually Adam who turned them all down.

“He never even discussed terms with any of them, he told them all he’d made a promise to Birmingham and he was going to stick with it.

“He knew what we wanted to achieve this season as a club and what a true No.1, both on and off the track, he has been.

“It’s a word in professional sport that you don’t hear very often nowadays, but Adam has shown a tremendous amount of loyalty to Birmingham Speedway this season .

“He’s told me how much he’s loved being with us this year and I’m sure he’ll go on to big things in the sport.”

• Like 7

Great to hear of a rider with that much commitment.

But for progression purposes, he needs premier league and elite league next season IMO.

A real pity we are unlikely to retain his services for next year - he proved a lot of doubters wrong!

it's impossible I'd say

A real pity we are unlikely to retain his services for next year - he proved a lot of doubters wrong!

i wouldn't wave goodbye to him quite yet isn't there a strong possibility of you going pl next year?

i wouldn't wave goodbye to him quite yet isn't there a strong possibility of you going pl next year?

That all depends on Tony Mole - would love to think Adam would stay if we were to move up to PL though.