British Speedway Forum
norbold

Reg Trott

Sad news to report, Reg Trott died a couple of days ago.

Reg began his speedway career at Wimbledon in 1949, where he stayed for six years before moving on to Oxford and then Norwich, where he stayed for a further eight years. On Norwich's closure, Reg returned to Wimbledon briefly before moving on to West Ham. He retired in 1967, but was enticed back to the second division with Eastbourne, where he stayed until his final retirement in 1972. He then went on to become a referee.

Reg was never a top rider, never even a heat leader, but was one of those vital hard working second strings, without whom speedway could not exist. He was always known as a trier and was very popular wherever he went. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

R.I.P. Reg.

I remember seeing Reg at Sunderland when he was riding for Eastbourne back in the day.

R.I.P. + Reg.

Remember him only as a ref,but like you say Norbold without his like,speedway couldn't exist

R.I.P

Very sorry to hear of Reg's passing. I remember him well from my days watching West Ham and Wimbledon in the mid-60's

One of those riders who were the mainstay of many a team.

Very sorry to hear this- I best remember Reg as a member of the all conquering Hammers of the first BL season in 1965. Not only a great trier but a real nice guy too-does anyone know how old Reg was when he passed? So thanks for the memories Reg and R.I.P.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. My best memory of Reg was a meeting at Peterborough when he was riding for Eastbourne. Then over 20 years into his career Reg put in a super show roaring around the fence like someone years younger. From memory he was top scorer for the Eagles that night. He was certainly the undisputed star of the meeting.

R I P Reg and thanks for the memories

I remember Reg more as a referee and only saw him a few times as a rider, although I do remember seeing him ride in a 4TT at Arlington in October 1970 when they held penny farthing races during the interval and the late Colin Sanders fell off and broke his collar bone.

(Reg refers to his exploits on a penny farthing in his interview on The National Speedway Museum website, but I don't know if this is the same meeting: http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/reg%20trott%20interview.html )

I also saw him ride at Brooklands in 1970 and again as part of the Eagles 1971 BL2 Title winning side and at Custom House the following season.

A fantastic achievement to have had such a long riding career and overall association with the sport.

R.I.P. Reg.

Its a shame that no mention was made of Reg's passing at Eastbournes meeting on sunday. R.I.P Reg

To be fair, they may not have known. He died on Saturday.

Very sad to hear this news having both seen Reg in his riding days and working alongside him at various tracks where he was refereeing and I was announcing. RIP Reg.

Very Sad news.

He was captain of the Eagles when I started going to speedway in 1969. Towards the end of the season I became very ill and ended up in hospital for many months. My Dad mentioned this to Reg who sent me filled in programmes and a lovely letter telling me how he and the team were doing. As a 9 year old it was very very special, & I still have the letter today.

A boyhood hero of mine. RIP Reg

• Like 7

Sad to see another of the old brigade depart for the great track in the sky.Reg was one of those riders who were the backbone of the sport for so many years,a great team man and an all round

who were the backbone of the sport in bygone years,a great team man and an all round nice guy. RIP Reg

So sorry for the typing errors,but just wanted to pay my respects to Reg.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to join the forum for a long time and this sad news prompted me. Reg lived close to me when he used to hire bikes at the Eastbourne Training

School back in the early 70s. I would go round to his and help clean the bikes, and he persuaded me to get on one and 'have a go'. With his help and guidance I progressed to the National League, where he would still give advice on what I did good and not so good and even excluded me a couple of times when he was refereeing.

This usually ended with a telling off after the meeting! Unfortunately, we lost touch after I stopped riding. I have fond memories of Reg, a good steady and reliable rider, a good teacher but most importantly a great guy.

My thoughts go to his family and friends.

Sad to see another of the old brigade depart for the great track in the sky.Reg was one of those riders who were the backbone of the sport for so many years,a great team man and an all roundwho were the backbone of the sport in bygone years,a great team man and an all round nice guy. RIP Reg So sorry for the typing errors,but just wanted to pay my respects to Reg.

Great post Beckford great we remember these blokes whatever level they rode at Reg was well liked at Eastie RIP Reg.