British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Poole Vs The Aces For The Title

It's decided in November after a hearing on Gogglegate.

I hope Newman's points aren't removed from that race. He won them fair and square. I suspect he will receive a fine for racing without goggles.

He didn't win them fair and square he broke the rules! Its unbelievable how many people on here don't want the rules to be followed.

• Like 2

How is title decided if the second leg is also tied?

The two club mascots will line up at the start gate and run round the track for one lap.

• Like 4

The two club mascots will line up at the start gate and run round the track for one lap.

Will they need goggles!
  • Like 1

He didn't win them fair and square he broke the rules! Its unbelievable how many people on here don't want the rules to be followed.

He deserves his points as no advantage to racing, but should be fined for not adhering to rules

• Like 2

I understand why some think he should keep the points and his determination to race shows his commitment to his club. However, an important safety rule was broken and he should have been excluded in accordance with the regulations. Any other result makes the authorities complicit in ignoring their own rules.

• Like 2

Well things don't look good for Poole. Belle Vue cruised to an easy zero point lead on Monday making it virtually unthinkable that Poole will be able to claw it back.

Sadly for the Aces fans, Monday will live long in the memory of all genuine speedway fans due to the unrelenting cheating by the home side.

Firstly we had Worrall's pathetic attempt to get the race stopped in heat two, followed by Nielsen attempting to get Starke disqualified in the re run.

Later we saw the Belle Vue start marshall physically wrestling Newman's goggles away from him on the start line in heat 12, in a desperate attempt to disadvantage the Poole man.

Additionally, Crump was sent round to the Poole pits in a cynical attempt to bore them into submission.

Then, finding themselves 13 points behind, the despicable Aces went out and actually rode well in order to get themselves back into the meeting.

It really was a disgraceful show from Belle Vue and I suspect that most of the fans are absolutely ashamed of their club ahead of tonights formality.

Fortunately, my club, the world famous Poole Pirates would never sink to such depths to win a meeting, and for that I am grateful.

Anyway, I must dash, I've got to phone the travel agent and book my flight to Rome.

Best post on the thread! Brilliant :D
  • Like 2

Matt Ford is currently in talks with Usain Bolt to replace the current Poole mascot just in case of this eventuality... Edited by Ace no.5
  • Like 3

Newman's points should be removed. He should be blamed - there is no way he could have had his eyes open during that race and was a danger to everyone. Can't believe some people are treating this so lightly. Riding at 70mph into a cloud of shale with no eye protection is insane. But yes, the ref / start marshall in particular were disgraceful. It could have been a terrible advert for Speedway, ridiculous.

That said, Poole were incredibly lucky early on and did very well to keep it to a draw. So hats off to them but they will get it tougher on Wednesday. :lol:

The only thing i disagree with is the word disgraceful directed towards the start Marshall. So much going on at the tapes and I forgive him for not being aware regarding the goggles immediately. You could argue the SM didn't have the luxury of the pictures on tv like we did zoomed in, but he had the best seat in the house right on the tapes. Especially as he was assisting Newman as well. When the exchange took place and Newman threw away his goggles, then the technicality took place.

The blame firmly lies in the Grand Final at the referee in this instance. It's not something that should be taken lightly either especially if you're the Belle Vue club for instance. You can't ignore the error and dismiss something like this. I don't believe not having a review could be looked upon as not in the spirit of the sport. Speedway does have a method to look over this. It's something that should be addressed, yes I think so.

I officiated Ice Hockey for some TV games in the past, and the last thing the match allocator, players, fans and viewers want to see is a mistake occur where a hidden rule (as I call it) passes a referee by, to which it could have an affect on a game.

The difference is video replay. The referee at BV had a monitor right in front of him, and the fact it didn't get any response after Heat 12 is a bitter pill to swallow. Once the race is officially declared then it's tough bigger for the team on the opposite. In this case I feel if someone knew this rule as it happened from anywhere else in the stadium, he then should have been alerted straight after the red flags came out. Did I know the rule, unfortunately I did. That's not me being smart. I just stumbled across this rule through watching over time.

The likelihood that Poole with home track advantage, and racing for Darcy as well (will lose) is slim in my view, BUT nobody knows the mindset from BV other than win the meeting and put the Pirates under pressure early on.

I don't have a particular team in particular that I barrack for. Just love good entertaining Speedway.

Edited by Undercover Elephant
  • Like 2

Ah but what about H&S, have they thought about that:-) Edited by ekimba

I just love all the 'he broke a rule' brigade (which he did!!) and they then invent whatever penalty suits their argument.

IMO, the fault lies as much with the 2 SCB officials - Referee and Start Marshall - who not only allowed the rider to race and break a rule but also allowed the race to finish and declare/announce the race result as well as the final meeting result.

The rest is all ifs, buts and maybe's. The rider should be fined retrospectively just as BV have 'written to the SCB' retrospectively rather than officially protesting, with fee, on the night.

One thing is for sure, BV's actions after the event have really got the Poole team going, so expect a humdinger of a meeting tonight!!

#DoItForDarcy. :-)

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

Matt Ford is currently in talks with Usain Bolt to replace the current Poole mascot just in case of this eventuality...

Not sure if track conditions suits Bolt... could easily be diskvalified for going down :lol: