British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

The whole withdrawing of student admission is ridiculous. Many thousands of companies/establishments offer student discounts in Britiain and they accept simply a NUS card issued by a University or College. It even has the Uni or College's name on the card!! Why can't Coventry just do the same instead of acting like its a completely new problem that they've found.

If people read the statement correctly, it says it is being withdrawn 'at this stage' and that the club are going to be working with local universities etc over the next few days to find a way forward.

It's a shame that it wasn't sorted before the season started, but perhaps the system, which has been in place for a while, has never been abused to such an extent before.

They need to get rid of the NUS discount and control student admission themselves, deciding on a clear definition of who it applies to. Students should have to apply for a club student card in the same way a supporter would apply for a season ticket, with proof of enrolment on a full time course and photo ID. This would then be shown at the turnstile to enable the student to gain the discount on entry.

It would be relatively easy to set up.

Seems pretty sensible to me.

So what about those students that just want to see a one off meeting? They're not going to go through all that process and just not bother to turn up, and that's lost income!

• Like 1

Maybe they should have changed the advert for the "next meeting at Brandon Stadium", it still advertising students at £5?

I know its not funny but one statement says how poor the team is doing and we are very sorry and the next is basically telling some to come and pay even more now to come and watch them. :o

• Like 1

So,another knee jerk reaction fron the biggest jerk in Coventry promotional history. He annoyed the pensioners now he's dishing the students. What will be left? Doesn't he realise that he has been the one stealing from the fans for years, serving up this season a team of no hopers who may just about cut it in the premier league. The mans history is a catalogue of disasters. The removal of Colin Pratt, the falling out with Blayne , the falling out with the best presentation team and centre green presenter ,the Simpson brothers. Cancelling the aftermeeting music and get together with the riders. Putting together a shocking team with the help of a team manager who as a rider was great but lacks any credentials as team manager. No Horton and Watsons experience and passion for Coventry remains at zero. It will be mainly Horton who kills off speedway in Coventry . He alone has reduced a nights entertainment to the dark ages of speedway with his lack of finesse in dealing with people who had the best interests of the club at heart throughout recent years.

• Like 4

The whole withdrawing of student admission is ridiculous. Many thousands of companies/establishments offer student discounts in Britiain and they accept simply a NUS card issued by a University or College. It even has the Uni or College's name on the card!! Why can't Coventry just do the same instead of acting like its a completely new problem that they've found.

So what about those students that just want to see a one off meeting? They're not going to go through all that process and just not bother to turn up, and that's lost income!

Hard luck to them. Blame those who abused the system, as poorly thought out as it may have been.

If it was my business, I'd be more worried about persistent lost income through a group of people who use an NUS card questionably on a regular basis than the money lost from a one-off student not attending.

Sorry, but I've got no time for spongers or freeloaders. There are people who clearly got hold of an NUS card which they would not otherwise have had, just to take advantage of a well intentioned discount offer from the Bees promotion. Technically, they have done nothing wrong, but morally they have.

We could all have done it but I suspect many people, such as myself, would have decided that to do so would be morally wrong.

Edited by G the Bee
  • Like 4

Except it really wasn't. People were tweeting the club before the first meeting to ask what constituted a "student" and then they were told NUS card holders. So if you had an NUS card that was deemed enough, nowhere else was there any other convoluted rules of "spirit" or "what they meant". If they didn't mean NUS card holders they should have explained this. The point is they didn't know and they don't know now do they? If they had some clear rules they would state them, the fact they have removed it (possibly as a temp thing) suggests they didn't know themselves!

I think telling people they "abused" the offer is pretty pathetic when they asked on twitter and got an answer.

So for the stupid people, who was the offer aimed at? Bearing in mind the club posted this yesterday afternoon 6 hours before removing the student price,

"STUDENT ADMISSION
Monday April 04, 2016
COVENTRY wish to clarify the arrangements for student admission at Elite and National League meetings this season.
We require proof of full-time student status, and therefore an NUS card will be required to gain entry at the student rate.
We hope this clarifies any previous confusion over this issue."

It's about honesty. You'll always get people who will take the piss, no matter what it involves.

It might be prudent to remind these people that they are actually committing a criminal offence, it's deception plain, and simple, an arrestable offence!!

• Like 1

It's about honesty. You'll always get people who will take the piss, no matter what it involves.

It might be prudent to remind these people that they are actually committing a criminal offence, it's deception plain, and simple, an arrestable offence!!

What is? If the deal is open to NUS card holders and these people have an NUS card what is fraudulent? Anyone working for an educational establishment will generally as one of their work place benefits be eligible for an NUS card (I was, I know of two others who are). Are they "abusing" the system? Is what they're doing "fraudulent"?

If someone was printing their own student card that would be fraudulent.

Bear in mind this statement, "We require proof of full-time student status, and therefore an NUS card will be required to gain entry at the student rate." from Coventry Speedway!

The issue is that an NUS card is NOT "proof of full-time student status" and never has been. It's proof you're a member of the student union.

Edited by SCB

Hard luck to them. Blame those who abused the system, as poorly thought out as it may have been.

If it was my business, I'd be more worried about persistent lost income through a group of people who use an NUS card questionably on a regular basis than the money lost from a one-off student not attending.

Sorry, but I've got no time for spongers or freeloaders. There are people who clearly got hold of an NUS card which they would not otherwise have had, just to take advantage of a well intentioned discount offer from the Bees promotion. Technically, they have done nothing wrong, but morally they have.

We could all have done it but I suspect many people, such as myself, would have decided that to do so would be morally wrong.

So you're saying tough luck to students who are the next generation of supporters and have done nothing wrong but can't afford to pay the price that adults in full-time emolument can! As short sighted as most of the promoters. You don't remove a system because some people flaunted it, you change the rules to stop the people flaunting it! That way unfortunate people aren't penalised.

Clarification was sought pre-season by some and it was stated clearly by the club that an NUS card constitutes that required to be admitted at the student cost. I've not seen it myself but I've seen two people mention, including the text quoted above by SCB, that the club even posted yesterday afternoon stating an NUS card is required to gain entry at the student rate only to withdraw the offer completely a few hours later. There is nothing on the website admissions page suggested that there are any Ts&Cs beyond this statement (that an NUS card will suffice) nor that the offer is at the management's discretion and may be amended or withdrawn at any time etcetera, as you would usually expect to see stated if there were any kind of question mark over how long an offer may stand (at least by any professionally run business!).

As usual the sole problem is speedway living in the dark ages and not understanding the world changed around it about 30 years ago. I bet students don't have to take an admissions letter to Co-op to get their 10% off every time they do their food shopping, or remember to apply for a special card prior to visiting one of the many thousands of attractions/shops to offer discounts to NUS card holders.

This season so far, and I can't see it getting any better, has been a complete an utter PR disaster for British Speedway. So sad, so very, very sad.

• Like 2

What is? If the deal is open to NUS card holders and these people have an NUS card what is fraudulent? Anyone working for an educational establishment will generally as one of their work place benefits be eligible for an NUS card (I was, I know of two others who are). Are they "abusing" the system? Is what they're doing "fraudulent"?

If someone was printing their own student card that would be fraudulent.

Bear in mind this statement, "We require proof of full-time student status, and therefore an NUS card will be required to gain entry at the student rate." from Coventry Speedway!

The issue is that an NUS card is NOT "proof of full-time student status" and never has been. It's proof you're a member of the student union.

What you are describing is a different offence.

Using an NUS card when you are not a student. to benefit by getting discounts is!

I was a full time student 2010-2011 I had one and got a student season ticket to cover the period I was in full time education. Since then I have paid the full price and not diddled anyone.

If you obtain an NUS card and produce it at the turnstile and induce the person taking the money that you are a student, in education, be it full time or part time to gain a benefit ( ie money off admission) knowing you are not entitled to, that is deception. The offence isn't absolute when you purchase one, it's when you actually use it to deceive!

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

So,another knee jerk reaction fron the biggest jerk in Coventry promotional history. He annoyed the pensioners now he's dishing the students. What will be left? Doesn't he realise that he has been the one stealing from the fans for years, serving up this season a team of no hopers who may just about cut it in the premier league. The mans history is a catalogue of disasters. The removal of Colin Pratt, the falling out with Blayne , the falling out with the best presentation team and centre green presenter ,the Simpson brothers. Cancelling the aftermeeting music and get together with the riders. Putting together a shocking team with the help of a team manager who as a rider was great but lacks any credentials as team manager. No Horton and Watsons experience and passion for Coventry remains at zero. It will be mainly Horton who kills off speedway in Coventry . He alone has reduced a nights entertainment to the dark ages of speedway with his lack of finesse in dealing with people who had the best interests of the club at heart throughout recent years.

That just about sums up my feelings too. :t: The sad part of it all is that I said this would happen the day he was announced as the new promoter. Coventry Bees a great club being wrecked by an underhanded and incompetent promotion.

• Like 1

Except it really wasn't. People were tweeting the club before the first meeting to ask what constituted a "student" and then they were told NUS card holders. So if you had an NUS card that was deemed enough, nowhere else was there any other convoluted rules of "spirit" or "what they meant". If they didn't mean NUS card holders they should have explained this. The point is they didn't know and they don't know now do they? If they had some clear rules they would state them, the fact they have removed it (possibly as a temp thing) suggests they didn't know themselves!

I think telling people they "abused" the offer is pretty pathetic when they asked on twitter and got an answer.

So for the stupid people, who was the offer aimed at? Bearing in mind the club posted this yesterday afternoon 6 hours before removing the student price,

"STUDENT ADMISSION

Monday April 04, 2016

COVENTRY wish to clarify the arrangements for student admission at Elite and National League meetings this season.

We require proof of full-time student status, and therefore an NUS card will be required to gain entry at the student rate.

We hope this clarifies any previous confusion over this issue."

It was obviously, in my mind, aimed at those people who have no other income but from their student loan\bursaries ....

At Poole they wrote down your NUS number, your name and address and made you sign next to it. Maybe to check your details out in own time?

But then Poole didn't ever really advertise student prices, you always had to inquire. So if anyone did abuse it wouldn't have been many!

If people are an OAP they are an OAP regardless of wealth. If they are a student and qualify for an NUS card then they are a student regardless of time spent in college / university.

Look at all the other clubs that are happy with this set up!

Discussions with local colleges will do nothing to help fans travelling from further afield which obviously applies to away fans and some home fans. As an example we live 90 mins away, are Coventry Speedway going to be speaking to educational establishments in Stoke On Trent.

And comically how the hell would Manchester United police this when the majority of their fans aren't local lol.

If an NUS card is good enough for other tracks and also the likes of Apple, Amazon, Spotify, Frankie and Benny's etc etc you'd think it would suffice for Coventry Speedway.

• Like 1

So you're saying tough luck to students who are the next generation of supporters and have done nothing wrong but can't afford to pay the price that adults in full-time emolument can! As short sighted as most of the promoters. You don't remove a system because some people flaunted it, you change the rules to stop the people flaunting it! That way unfortunate people aren't penalised.

How the hell do you change the rules to only allow those who are in full time education with no other income in though?b They have to rely on people's honesty and integrity .....

• Like 1

No. I've never said remove the student discount. Read my posts.

I've said the club should change the rules to stop people flaunting the system in my original post. I said that that the club should issue their own cards. Unfortunately, It will mean that some students, attending on a one-off basis, won't be able to get in cheap. It will also affect students from other clubs too. I doubt, on a meeting-by-meeting basis, there would be many of them anyway.

There is no ideal solution. Blame the spongers and freeloaders who abused a well intentioned system and, like so many things in life, have spoiled it for the rest.

And comically how the hell would Manchester United police this when the majority of their fans aren't local lol.

If an NUS card is good enough for other tracks and also the likes of Apple, Amazon, Spotify, Frankie and Benny's etc etc you'd think it would suffice for Coventry Speedway.

The difference is, these multi-national corporations probably know the scam is going on, and can afford to take it on the chin. And due to sheer weight of numbers, it's difficult, and certainly not cost-effective for them to control.

For a speedway promotion, the opposite is the case. They can't afford to take it on the chin but, because they don't have the sheer weight of numbers abusing the system as a large corporation have, they are able to monitor the situation and control it. Which is precisely what they have done.

I suspect, (and perhaps they should have done some more research) the well-intentioned promotion underestimated how easy it is to get hold of an NUS card.

They believed that an NUS card, in itself, was proof of full-time student status. They were wrong. They've been taken advantage of as a result.

They appear to have recognised this now and are changing the system. In the meantime, the student offer has unfortunately been (I suspect temporarily) withdrawn.

No big deal. But, again, it's the fault of those who abused the system spoiling it for everyone else. You know who you are. Shame on you!

• Like 1