Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

Because Mick has reviewed the admissions and he knows it is more than just a few who are abusing his generous concession.

Nobody has said anything that would indicate that it is ok to defraud Coventry Speedway

What happens if they're on gates 2 and 4 in the first race? :wink:

Who says they are? At the moment all that is happening is the student rate is withdrawn and they are contacting the local universities etc. over the next few days in order to look at possible ways forward so the full time student can benefit, which was the original intention not for the promotion to be cheated out of £12 by some fans who think they are clever. Bees haven't a match this week so hopefully things will be clearer by Monday.

Precisely why they needn't have made such statements on Monday. They went from clarifying Student Policy to withdrawing it, within hours

They had time to come up with a new policy and still communicate that clearly

Precisely why they needn't have made such statements on Monday. They went from clarifying Student Policy to withdrawing it, within hours

That's Mick Horton though isn't it , he shoots from hip!

Fully agree with that and people on here and the Facebook page have suggested solutions which although won't eradicate it entirely but will certainly stop level of people getting in for a rate for which they really shouldn't.

I like the way Peterborough United Football club do their tickets pricing with an U18 price and then a price for 18-21. Only a passport would then be needed to prove your age. Im sure this is the age group the promotion were trying to entice when thinking about the student rate, just don't call it a students price, call it young adult.

That's Mick Horton though isn't it , he shoots from hip!

Ah..... Shooting , why didn't I think of that? :D

It's getting quite tiresome reading people claim the system is being abused etcetera. What Coventry put in place before the season began, which is what been in place for years incidentally - it's nothing new, and what was clarified the other day is being used by some. It's not being abused. It's being used as stated clearly and categorically by the club.

All this is achieving is create more negative PR for the club and speedway. Any 'solution' put in place now won't change that unfortunately. If Mr Horton changes the policy he will be at odds with what Coventry speedway's policy has been previously and thereby upset somebody. It will also be at odds with every other club in the land that offers concessions for NUS cards holders. He will also be refusing to partake in the biggest discount scheme of its kind in this country. A scheme that is used thousands of times a day online and in person without question. As with any walk of life there are always occasions when a small number find a way to screw the system - we all moan about people on benefits who we feel shouldn't be, right? If you have a successful business model you can take the odd hit on the chin. If Mr Horton decides to re-instate the policy as previously then he will have caused a week, or more, of negativity for nothing. As someone has commented before - with a gap between fixtures why not look in to this quietly this week before commenting?

As I stated earlier; there isn't suddenly a 30 minute wait in the queue to get in as a student this season. There's no more than the odd person out of the queue going to the concessions turnstile. Comments on here suggesting that there is suddenly an influx of people trying to screw over Mr Horton are misleading and not helpful. In fact it's almost certainly comments on here and social media that have led to paranoia about this perceived overnight threat to the business.

Of far greater importance than this is that there is, and has been for many many years, an opportunity to build the business by working closer with the universities to try to get more students in for a cheap night out. I can't help but wonder what would be the reply if I phoned Coventry and Warwickshire uni's last week, before this current withdrawal of concession, and asked them what they knew about the new low price admission for students to Coventry Speedway. Would the reply have been "Yes, we know about that and we're working hard with the club and our students to promote this." or would it have been "What's speedway?"

Because Mick has reviewed the admissions and he knows it is more than just a few who are abusing his generous concession.

How? The withdrawal of the concession was clearly a hasty decision, not a well considered one. There is no way that in the 6 hours or so between clarifying an NUS card should be used and withdrawing the concession that a full analysis has been done. I bet there isn't even a comparison between the number of student admitted in the first two meetings this season and last.

• Like 3

There wouldn't be a comparison to last season as OAPs and students went in same turnstile and pricing is obviously different but they could easily compared the % of the crowd that paid a student rate for the first and second meeting. We were told on here what people were doing to get cheaper admission and if they have proof of that then they are right to do something about it. We'd all do the same if it was our business. As I said in my previous post, they could've just kept quiet and found a solution before Monday. Its a bit of a PR disaster all round but its also a shame that some so called fans have (at the minute) ruined it for people who need it most.

• Like 2

Do OAPs have an admission ticket with OAP printed on it or not? Also, how do OAPs prove they are OAPs and do they have to show said evidence every time they're admitted? (Genuine questions)

You're right a comparison between meeting one and two would be pretty easy to do, but I went to both and as I've said the queue was and always is primarily at the adults turnstiles. There was no queue of students (whatever age as that matters to some) that have suddenly appeared. There's never really what you'd class as a significant queue for the concessions admission anywhere.

It just, to me, has the feel of a panic reaction to what a few people have stated on forum/s and social media when in reality there would almost certainly be little genuine effect in the real world. We could all (not literally) go out and have a load of illegitimate children to claim the benefits and get a 4 bedroom house but in reality we don't all go out and do it.

Do OAPs have an admission ticket with OAP printed on it or not? Also, how do OAPs prove they are OAPs and do they have to show said evidence every time they're admitted? (Genuine questions)

You're right a comparison between meeting one and two would be pretty easy to do, but I went to both and as I've said the queue was and always is primarily at the adults turnstiles. There was no queue of students (whatever age as that matters to some) that have suddenly appeared. There's never really what you'd class as a significant queue for the concessions admission anywhere.

It just, to me, has the feel of a panic reaction to what a few people have stated on forum/s and social media when in reality there would almost certainly be little genuine effect in the real world. We could all (not literally) go out and have a load of illegitimate children to claim the benefits and get a 4 bedroom house but in reality we don't all go out and do it.

I think if they have several reports of this happening from fans then I think they have to act, hopefully they have a solution for Monday as its a great offer that should still be encouraged.

I've certainly noticed more children in attendance, both home matches this season my daughter has bought a friend along.

Edited by woz01

We used to but not any more because we're all paying the same price this season. I've never been asked to prove I'm an OAP because one look at me will confirm it anyway. :lol:

• Like 2

I bet the original was interesting. :icon_smile_clown:

As expected Coventry Speedway have come up with a fair resolution of the Student admissions issue.

Pleased to see no one is being disadvantaged.

• Like 2

Official Buildbase Coventry Speedway Website

Home Latest News Fixtures/Statistics Club Admission Riders Corporate Fans History Gallery

STUDENT ADMISSION - UPDATE

Friday April 08, 2016

AS announced in our previous statement, we have been working on a way forward to enable us to offer £5 admission to the genuine, bona fide student community.

The sheer size of increase in student admissions over the opening meetings of the season was such that we had no option but to carry out a review.

Our student offer was always designed to benefit those in full-time education, whether studying for A-Levels etc at school, or on a full-time University course. It was not intended for those doing part-time or evening classes in addition to drawing a full-time salary.

We are now in a position to re-instate the £5 student admission rate for those in full-time education only, on production of the following information:

a) Students still at school - a brief letter from school secretary/tutor on headed paper stating that the student is in full-time education.

B) University students - NUS card plus brief letter from university academic/tutor on headed paper stating course details and that it is a full-time course.

When these are produced at the turnstiles for the first time, names will be added to a list in order to speed entry on future occasions.

We hope these measures enable those for whom the student admission offer is intended for to be able to benefit, and we thank those who have been in touch with constructive comments over the last week.

View Full Site

Official Buildbase Coventry Speedway Website

Home Latest News Fixtures/Statistics Club Admission Riders Corporate Fans History Gallery

STUDENT ADMISSION - UPDATE

Friday April 08, 2016

AS announced in our previous statement, we have been working on a way forward to enable us to offer £5 admission to the genuine, bona fide student community.

The sheer size of increase in student admissions over the opening meetings of the season was such that we had no option but to carry out a review.

Our student offer was always designed to benefit those in full-time education, whether studying for A-Levels etc at school, or on a full-time University course. It was not intended for those doing part-time or evening classes in addition to drawing a full-time salary.

We are now in a position to re-instate the £5 student admission rate for those in full-time education only, on production of the following information:

a) Students still at school - a brief letter from school secretary/tutor on headed paper stating that the student is in full-time education.

B) University students - NUS card plus brief letter from university academic/tutor on headed paper stating course details and that it is a full-time course.

When these are produced at the turnstiles for the first time, names will be added to a list in order to speed entry on future occasions.

We hope these measures enable those for whom the student admission offer is intended for to be able to benefit, and we thank those who have been in touch with constructive comments over the last week.

View Full Site

Well better late then never, it must of taken some head scratching to come up with that policy.