British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

Following the assertions from Coventry bosses that pensioners are rolling in money and thus withdrawing the traditional concession prices, there there is a report today that many pensioners are living in poverty.

Have you read the report? £788 is the poverty line. Most under 25s would love to have £788 after paying for their housing!

Just what do pensioners need to spend their £788 a month on? They should have paid for their homes, they don't have to pay for a TV licence if they're over 75, they get a winter heating allowance, they don't need to run a car and they get free bus travel. £788 is a lot of food, extra heating and speedway!

Meanwhile a 20yo on minimum wage working 40 hours a week £888 a month and they have to pay to get to work and at 20 won't have yet paid of a mortgage so if they're lucky will "only" have to pay £400 a month from that £888 in rent. Leaving the 20yo with £488 a month.

Nobody is saying pensioners have it great, whats being said is that young people have it a LOT worse so why should OAPs get a discount while young people don't? If you think OAPs should get a discount where do you stand on under 25s getting a discount?

Frankly, nobody should be getting a discount because they can't afford it. It's the governments job to pay people if they can't afford to live. Discounts should be about attracting your target audience.

Edited by SCB

some pathetic views of "assuming" pensioners paid for their homes, and knowing how they spend their money!

• Like 1

Have you read the report? £788 is the poverty line. Most under 25s would love to have £788 after paying for their housing!

Just what do pensioners need to spend their £788 a month on? They should have paid for their homes, they don't have to pay for a TV licence if they're over 75, they get a winter heating allowance, they don't need to run a car and they get free bus travel. £788 is a lot of food, extra heating and speedway!

Meanwhile a 20yo on minimum wage working 40 hours a week £888 a month and they have to pay to get to work and at 20 won't have yet paid of a mortgage so if they're lucky will "only" have to pay £400 a month from that £888 in rent. Leaving the 20yo with £488 a month.

Nobody is saying pensioners have it great, whats being said is that young people have it a LOT worse so why should OAPs get a discount while young people don't? If you think OAPs should get a discount where do you stand on under 25s getting a discount?

Frankly, nobody should be getting a discount because they can't afford it. It's the governments job to pay people if they can't afford to live. Discounts should be about attracting your target audience.

as you probably realise oap were under 25s at some point in there lives and struggled the same as today's do

as you probably realise oap were under 25s at some point in there lives and struggled the same as today's do

Far easier to buy a house in years gone by than it is now. I have no idea how younger people can save thousands to get on the property ladder these days. I've given up owning my home until my kids are grown up and I'm in my 50s as in all probability itll be easier for me then with the extra disposable income.

Far easier to buy a house in years gone by than it is now. I have no idea how younger people can save thousands to get on the property ladder these days. I've given up owning my home until my kids are grown up and I'm in my 50s as in all probability itll be easier for me then with the extra disposable income.

you all presume that oaps own there own home where do you get this from ?

Well I now know from this erudite and well informed post that Pensioners live in a land of milk and honey having bountiful and undeserved gifts showered on them on them by this benevolent government.

Interest rates when todays pensioners bought their houses if indeed they did buy were 12% or even 14% not the rock bottom rates they are now.

Due to these low interest rates pensioners get sod all interest on their savings if indeed they have any.

if they dont then they are likely to be in cheap/subsidised local authority housing - something the young have little hope of either.

Where have I said that? You said that it wasn't easy for U25s years ago but it was easier to get a house than it is now. How are people supposed to save a 5 figure sum in this day and age?

Edited by woz01

some pathetic views of "assuming" pensioners paid for their homes, and knowing how they spend their money!

Pensioners would have bought a house in the 70s so they bought that at a time when the price of houses vs the average salary was at a stupidly low ratio and when wage inflation for the next 10 years inafalted away most of the debt.

Meanwhile, the last 15 years has seen house prices at a staggering ratio of about 7 times an annual wage (vs about 2.2 in the 70s) so pensioners DID have it easier whne they were in there 20s and 30s and not they did not "struggle the same".

At least they had a realistic chance which they can only blame them selves for if they blew the opportunity. Something anyone under 35 has only bene able to dream of (or get into dangerous levels of debt for)

Pensioners would have bought a house in the 70s so they bought that at a time when the price of houses vs the average salary was at a stupidly low ratio and when wage inflation for the next 10 years inafalted away most of the debt.

Meanwhile, the last 15 years has seen house prices at a staggering ratio of about 7 times an annual wage (vs about 2.2 in the 70s) so pensioners DID have it easier whne they were in there 20s and 30s and not they did not "struggle the same".

so you believe all pensioners had it easy....my god, education has a lot to answer for!

• Like 3

so you believe all pensioners had it easy....my god, education has a lot to answer for!

I havent said that at all. I can see it's pointless discussing this with you. You're ignoring all the fact and even reading what you want in what I post.

Pensioners certainly had it easier than today's under 30s when they were under 30. They didn't have to pay £30000 for an degree did they? They also only had to pay 2.2 times their salary for a house, rather than nearly 7 times.

I havent said that at all. I can see it's pointless discussing this with you. You're ignoring all the fact and even reading what you want in what I post.

Pensioners certainly had it easier than today's under 30s when they were under 30. They didn't have to pay £30000 for an degree did they? They also only had to pay 2.2 times their salary for a house, rather than nearly 7 times.

from my memory, wasn't there far far far more council housing than there is today? id never say its easy for kids today, its incredibly difficult, but I certainly don't recall it being easy from relatives

• Like 1

Where have I said that? You said that it wasn't easy for U25s years ago but it was easier to get a house than it is now. How are people supposed to save a 5 figure sum in this day and age?

How was it easier? 5 figures today is probably like 3 or 4 figures in days gone by. Not easier at all

• Like 2

I served an apprentership in the early sixtys my weekly wage was £3.oo a week all you work on is figures and percentages