British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle 2016

Great to hear that. Wish him well with his recovery.

I couldn't agree more. I have watched his performances from afar with great interest.

I only hope that he can come back and, eventually get himself back to where he was before his accident.

Get well soon Lewis.

Just an interesting senario.

- If Morris hadn't been signed, and we went with RR at say 2, and Victor at 6.

- First meeting at home or away, Victor is injured sufficient to miss the rest of the season.

What would YOU do, and how would you judge George's actual decision then.

If's, but's and maybe's Dave. If Victor is injured with the full 1-7 as it is now (or any of the other top 5 riders for that matter), are we really going to be good enough to win anything with R/R and Morris and Phillips at reserve? I suspect we'd get well beaten in any play-off match anyway so I'm not convinced by the thinking that we had to have seven riders. With Victor at reserve and still taking two of his number 2 rides (and Kus one of the others) I think we'd be much stronger and I think that's the only way we could have still emerged with a trophy.

Anyway its done and hopefully I will have lots of egg on my face come the end of the season - it wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by NJC71
  • Like 3

If's, but's and maybe's Dave. If Victor is injured with the full 1-7 as it is now (or any of the other top 5 riders for that matter), are we really going to be good enough to win anything with R/R and Morris and Phillips at reserve? I suspect we'd get well beaten in any play-off match anyway so I'm not convinced by the thinking that we had to have seven riders. With Victor at reserve and still taking two of his number 2 rides (and Kus one of the others) I think we'd be much stronger and I think that's the only way we could have still emerged with a trophy.

Anyway its done and hopefully I will have lots of egg on my face come the end of the season.

I hope so too NJC71 - and I mean that in the nicest way.

I am, genuinely, very impressed with you final sentence. :t:

Just an interesting senario.

- If Morris hadn't been signed, and we went with RR at say 2, and Victor at 6.

- First meeting at home or away, Victor is injured sufficient to miss the rest of the season.

What would YOU do, and how would you judge George's actual decision then.

I will comment on this :D any rider(s) can be injured at any time that's part of speedway and I will put it to you what happens if Ashley Morris gets injured then you are in exactly the same boat. I'm a big believer that you should put out your best riders in the position that they will have the maximum advantage to the team. VP at reserve would give that and again imho gives us the best chance of covering LR. Too late now but George will be judged at the end of the season if he was right or wrong and I sincerely hope he was right.

Edited by acclennell

I will comment on this :D any rider(s) can be injured at any time that's part of speedway and I will put it to you what happens if Ashley Morris gets injured then you are in exactly the same boat. I'm a big believer that you should put out your best riders in the position that they will have the maximum advantage to the team. VP at reserve would give that and again imho gives us the best chance of covering LR. Too late now but George will be judged at the end of the season if he was right or wrong and I sincerely hope he was right.

Difference is that you lose Morris you still have Victor and need cover for Morris. In the alternative arrangement if you lose Victor you have two missing out of 7 and need 2.

Might be ifs and buts, but this is what management do to cover more alternatives. The strongest permutation IS RR and Victor at 6, but with a massive risk if those ifs and buts come to fruition.

Tero I am informed hasn't had his op, hasn't raced since and his average is too high. Like him or not, Morris is the best available as you would have seen against us at the Peterborough home meeting. Good gater and rides Brough well.

His twitter feed post says he had the op on the 2nd of June, Dave.

Matterless of course as we coudn't have fitted him in.

• Like 1

Well many people may well be surprised to hear on my thoughts regarding to signing a 7th rider in Ashley Morris, whilst on many things I don't agree with Newcastle or George on I do believe the best possible move that could be done HAS been made & I congratulate that decision!

In the past we have run RR far to many times for my liking, yes we were very unfortunate Lewis getting injured when he did ( and I wish him all the best) & I do tend to think that Danny in my view should of been replaced I'd say about July, & yes I do feel for him as I think he tries his best but has gone the same way as Steve Worrall a couple of years ago.

But at least he still tries and keeps plugging away, but I think to me a big problem he has he tends to shut off about half way down the straights!!

Good luck to both Ash & Dan!!

Difference is that you lose Morris you still have Victor and need cover for Morris. In the alternative arrangement if you lose Victor you have two missing out of 7 and need 2.

Might be ifs and buts, but this is what management do to cover more alternatives. The strongest permutation IS RR and Victor at 6, but with a massive risk if those ifs and buts come to fruition.

I'd go for the strongest everytime but that's me and seems pretty split on views as to what is best and I cansee both points of view but the proof will be in the pudding at the end of the season and as I said hopefully it's proved my views are not upheld.

• Like 1

Well many people may well be surprised to hear on my thoughts regarding to signing a 7th rider in Ashley Morris, whilst on many things I don't agree with Newcastle or George on I do believe the best possible move that could be done HAS been made & I congratulate that decision!

In the past we have run RR far to many times for my liking, yes we were very unfortunate Lewis getting injured when he did ( and I wish him all the best) & I do tend to think that Danny in my view should of been replaced I'd say about July, & yes I do feel for him as I think he tries his best but has gone the same way as Steve Worrall a couple of years ago.

But at least he still tries and keeps plugging away, but I think to me a big problem he has he tends to shut off about half way down the straights!!

​ If this is the case, then his nerve is in question.​ Or more likely, his own belief in himself. Always thought that his lack of scoring meant he was unable to maintain his bikes for financial reasons but it stands to reason that his confidence is perchance also failing.

Good luck to both Ash & Dan!!

I think I recall Danny Phillips saying himself that he's a confidence rider in one of the programmes where he got interviewed. I really want to see him do well and move forward in his career. The pass he made last Sunday against Edinburgh proves that he has what it takes, it's just the confidence and the little bit of extra experience required that's holding him back. Good on him for trying to improve though!

He shuts off early yeah, but he also starts his slide a lot earlier than quite a lot of other riders too, if you watch, far too early for him, maybe Robbo, but not Danny

on the Morris v R/R debate,,,

with no injuries, Kus and Vic would surely work it well and Danny would hopefully find some form at HOME, but AWAY could be a totally different story with no-one consistent on the road, (apart from DP),,, a wonder if this was taken into account in the thinking ???

Exactly! I thought it would have been for Philips.

I think you have to have a young British 3 pointer in your team. You can only swop like for like. Ash's average is 4.37.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1