British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

I wondered how others felt should the play/offs stay or should they be scrapped.For me they have run there cause are past there sell buy date i thought the main reason for them were the revenue created by the semi/final meeting's and Final.At Swindon for the second leg i thought the crowd was pretty average compared to other years, i would like to go back to the top of the league team being Champions.Then have a FA cup type top four drawn out of a hat for opponents semi finals leading to a grand Final therefore creating a chance for a team to get the Double.

Edited by sidney
  • Like 4

Yes scrap them.

Said it all along, a season long campaign should not be decided by the lottery of a couple of meetings at the end of the season. It means the team that worked the hardest all season long will not necessarily be rewarded, especially if one of the play off teams cheats to manipulate better riders for those final meetings.

• Like 4

Yes sidney, they certainly should be scrapped. not only that, the El and Pl should amalgamate to produce a sensible size league with a meaningful fixture list.

Would love that Custom, a bit of variation different tracks it could work if everybody pulled in the right direction but we all know in speedway that never happens.

Whilst SKY are involved there is no way that they will be scrapped. as SKY rule the roost and the BSPA does as it's told.

I have always believed that the league champions should be the team that tops the league,,,,,, but I have no problem with having a Play off system with another trophy to go for,,,, the SKY Speedway gold cup or whatever they want to name it.

• Like 4

Should definitely be scrapped and the season extended for all teams into October

Yes, lets scrap the only decent thing to happen in British speedway in the last 15 years!

• Like 6

It evidently isn’t just the Semi/Finals it is the weeks/months leading up to the Play Offs as well where crowds are boosted.

The crowds at speedway in general are dwindling off, even during the season, it isn’t a shock that has reflected when it comes to the Play Offs. It is probably worth thinking what crowds would have been like at most tracks if there wasn’t Play Offs eg Belle Vue’s fixtures for the last 2 months have been meaningful rather than most thinking can they finish 20 points behind Poole rather than 23.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 1

I can't understand why the powers that be can't just sort this out.

It would be very simple to rectify, one trophy for the league winners, and another for the play off champs.

I can't understand why the powers that be can't just sort this out.

It would be very simple to rectify, one trophy for the league winners, and another for the play off champs.

Play off champions would be a title neither fans, riders or clubs would have any interest in winning and no one would go to watch them.

There is nothing to sort out, the play offs are one of the few good things to come out of the sport in the last 15 years, they need leaving alone

Play off champions would be a title neither fans, riders or clubs would have any interest in winning and no one would go to watch them.

There is nothing to sort out, the play offs are one of the few good things to come out of the sport in the last 15 years, they need leaving alone

It works in other sports. ;)

It works in other sports. ;)

No such thing in the top sporting league in the country - football's Premier League. In the lesser divisions maybe, but not at the top. It takes a season to win the Premier League title, not a couple of lucky matches at the end after finishing third or fourth.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 2

No such thing in the top sporting league in the country - football's Premier League. In the lesser divisions maybe, but not at the top. It takes a season to win the Premier League title, not a couple of lucky matches at the end after finishing third or fourth.

I don't disagree, I think everyone realises that the team at the top of the league are the true champs.

We do, however, have a situation where play offs are part of our sport, & I don't see anything wrong in giving a trophy to both league & play off winners.

As things stand at present the team that wins the play offs get the glory, & they are not necessarily the best team over the full season. So why not reward the league winners, as I said it works in other sports.