Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

please be aware i suffer and got m.s i do well to get on with my life ups and downs and its not nice when someone like you take the crap and make a fool of me so what ifmy story might not be to your liking but you must have understood it so some degree

Please don't let certain Posters, who should have more sense, get you down chucks. Continue Posting - you are entitled to your view as much as anyone else. :t::approve:

Actually - I haven't seen any apologies to you yet. I'm disappointed about that........................... :sad::sad: :sad:

Yet again slowly ..I gave reasons for why we have play offs ..you then try to say that they were untrue and the reason we have them in speedway is because sky want to show a title decider ...quite clearly in speedway we have them in the pl that does not have sky showing the tile decider ...so in a nutshell your are wrong .

Very true - but the Promoters want them.

It doesn't really matter what the Supporters think though does it? After all, it is the Supporters who are the Customers - why worry about them when they will come anyway - or will they? :unsure::unsure::blink:

Jack Young was top qualifier in 1950 but only managed 8th place at Wembley

In 1951 he was joint 7th qualifier and in 1952 joint second qualifier

You must have detested the old world finals though.

What right did Peter Craven have to be in the 1956 Final. How can Briggo justify being called world champion in 1958 (or 59 for that matter had he won) Ronnie Moore lost a run off for the 1960 world final and he was another on a FREEBIE

Of course the 70s plumbed new depths with the 4 finals in Poland giving freebies to 19 riders. 30 % of the fields in those finals were on FREEBIES, and one of these actually won.

I could go on

Now tell me which qualifying system is suspect

You usually do - why change the habit of a lifetime? :blink::)

• Like 1

Welcome back mate. :D

I need a doggies bag.

Been off here about 3 and a half years and the same old tripe being talked about.

Get rid of the playoffs.

Get rid of the GPs.

Take us back to 1960.

Can see I've missed out...

See you then you can p..s off for another three and a half years why bother not that you know anything about 1960! anyway. Edited by sidney
  • Like 2

I need a doggies bag.

See you then you can p..s off for another three and a half years why bother not that you know anything about 1960! anyway.

Had to laugh at that Sydney. :rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Had to laugh at that Sydney. :rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl:

people love dissing the hey days, but they will never witness what we did. no play offs, big crowds, strong teams,

yet they appear content with "rider sharing", and watered down league

• Like 1

See you then you can p..s off for another three and a half years why bother not that you know anything about 1960! anyway.

I know quite a bit. My dad is one of the old farts who continues to moan about the modern speedway and constantly knocks one out over black and white memories.

I know quite a bit. My dad is one of the old farts who continues to moan about the modern speedway and constantly knocks one out over black and white memories.

He's obviously got sense.

people love dissing the hey days, but they will never witness what we did. no play offs, big crowds, strong teams,

yet they appear content with "rider sharing", and watered down league

1994. No GPs, no play-offs. No doubling up. The sport on it's arse and a World Final at Vojens because nowhere else wanted it!

As for the 60s, there were more paedos than you could shake a stick, people dying of illnesses that have no luckily died out themselves. and what was it? 3 TV channels? No wonder speedway was booming.

1994. No GPs, no play-offs. No doubling up. The sport on it's arse and a World Final at Vojens because nowhere else wanted it!

As for the 60s, there were more paedos than you could shake a stick, people dying of illnesses that have no luckily died out themselves. and what was it? 3 TV channels? No wonder speedway was booming.

those 3 tv stations had 20 million viewers watching Morecambe and wise compared to around 4 million now..statistics

Lets bring back Mauger and Fundin.

Lets bring back Black and white TV.

Lets have 13 heats.

Times move on, if you live in the past you will never move forward.

Go to any speedway meeting and you will see loads of White Knights and Sidney's, but you don't see many young faces.

The Play Offs is a modern day idea, and it funny as I wonder if they have fans complaining in Poland and Sweden about play offs.

Lets have 13 heats.

Go to any speedway meeting and you will see loads of White Knights and Sidney's, but you don't see many young faces.

The Play Offs is a modern day idea, and it funny as I wonder if they have fans complaining in Poland and Sweden about play offs.

but speedway is clearly losing the older generation, and at the same time are NOT attracting knew ones, just because oldies

don't like the play offs, its probably because it worked!....

Lets have 13 heats.

Yes - because people of our age are the only ones who seem interested in keeping the Sport alive.

The Senior Citizens keep getting lambasted on here for being backward looking - but at least they go. All this modernization of Speedway in this Country hasn't exactly brought new young people to the Sport in their droves - I wonder why?

Perhaps the way forward is indeed 'Back to the Future'. Let's face it - things couldn't get much worse.

• Like 2

how about this scenario, Pooles final domestic meeting before the play offs is an away game to Leicester..had this been an old style

match, Leicester would of benefitted by poole fans going to watch them crowned champions (Leicester would profit)...in 2015, poole fans would clearly give that a miss, as they would wait for the play off to travel.....so you don't get MORE fans going, just spread over, with Leicester losing out!!

Yes - because people of our age are the only ones who seem interested in keeping the Sport alive.

The Senior Citizens keep getting lambasted on here for being backward looking - but at least they go. All this modernization of Speedway in this Country hasn't exactly brought new young people to the Sport in their droves - I wonder why?

Perhaps the way forward is indeed 'Back to the Future'. Let's face it - things couldn't get much worse.

Of course the sport in this country is going through some very testing times, but I think that the Play Offs is the least of the problems.

Top of the list for me are;

Presentation.

Doubling Up/ down

Loss of star riders wanting to ride in our leagues.

The latter two for me are caused by Promotions and fans refusing to accept that the Elite League should run one night per week it would cut down on the latter two considerably.

Your old man is quite funny though, swears a lot but he is funny with it.

• Like 1

should play off,s be scrapped imo yes they should ,all season ive folled edin/mon every home meeting ,also every glas/edin away berwick,new.c redcar workie. seffield,for myloyality edin .also glasg ow have put up prices , although im on computer, i dont own one,have to use this one when i ger a chance ,also not got credit/debit card so booking pre meeting is out of my choice,some loyality for folling speedway and having only have cash.so in that frame of mind edinbugh .monarchs did win the league

Eh???

I take it your tongue was firmly in cheek whilst posting the above :D

.....and the play offs could start in March and from then we coould have a KOC competition running until October with semi finals and a grand final.