British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

There is no comparison between the two.

The Ice Hockey play-offs are a big event, all staged over one weekend. Basically it's their version of Cardiff.

It's their end-of-season competition, qualification being through finishing positions in the regular league season, as are our play-offs. It's their play-offs, however you like to dress it up.

It's their end-of-season competition, qualification being through finishing positions in the regular league season, as are our play-offs. It's their play-offs, however you like to dress it up.

No, it isn't a comparison at all.

It is a weekend long event, staged in the same arena. A totally different concept.

Now if speedway were to come up with something similar, it may just work and the idea of a 'league winner' and a 'play off winner' would have some merit.

As it currently stands though, it wouldn't work.

Ice Hockey has thought outside the box, modernised themselves and are reaping the dividends. Such bold steps wouldn't be taken in speedway I'm afraid.

No, it isn't a comparison at all.

It is a weekend long event, staged in the same arena. A totally different concept.

Now if speedway were to come up with something similar, it may just work and the idea of a 'league winner' and a 'play off winner' would have some merit.

As it currently stands though, it wouldn't work.

Ice Hockey has thought outside the box, modernised themselves and are reaping the dividends. Such bold steps wouldn't be taken in speedway I'm afraid.

They're play-offs, just like ours. Qualification is by finishing position after the original league fixtures. The initial matches are home and away knockout matches with only the semis and the final being held over one weekend. They are the ice hockey play-offs.

Funny that they're play-offs when it suits the 'most sports have play-offs' argument but not play-offs when its 'play-offs shouldn't be for the league championship'

They're play-offs, just like ours. Qualification is by finishing position after the original league fixtures. The initial matches are home and away knockout matches with only the semis and the final being held over one weekend. They are the ice hockey play-offs.

Funny that they're play-offs when it suits the 'most sports have play-offs' argument but not play-offs when its 'play-offs shouldn't be for the league championship'

You're not listening are you.

Yes, they are the ice hockey play-offs, but they have created something different to the regular season, something to differentiate it, to make it a must see occasion. THAT is what you aren't grasping.

As I have said, if speedway were to come up with something similar, then your idea has merit... but just some add on meetings, no different to the other meetings wouldn't work. That's already been proven.

It basically either has to be for all the marbles or something very different.

You're not listening are you.

Yes, they are the ice hockey play-offs, but they have created something different to the regular season, something to differentiate it, to make it a must see occasion. THAT is what you aren't grasping.

As I have said, if speedway were to come up with something similar, then your idea has merit... but just some add on meetings, no different to the other meetings wouldn't work. That's already been proven.

It basically either has to be for all the marbles or something very different.

That's been my point all along though - for their play-offs, ice hockey can put out a meaningful competition which is well attended, and successful that doesn't need to deprive the table-toppers of their deserved title. Why can't speedway do the same. Yes, make it different, make it worth going to and it should work. All I've had back is that speedway folk won't go unless it's for the title, seemingly end of....

We could even try the 'same weekend' bit - we'll have our very own National Stadium from next year to stage the competition.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 1

From a "fairness" point of view .................. The table toppers after 28 matches are the champions.

From the perspective of excitement and "bums on seats" .......................

From a fairness point of view ....................... The league leaders after 28 matches are worthy champions

From an excitement and "bums on seats" view ........................... We need the play-offs

That's been my point all along though - for their play-offs, ice hockey can put out a meaningful competition which is well attended, and successful that doesn't need to deprive the table-toppers of their deserved title. Why can't speedway do the same. Yes, make it different, make it worth going to and it should work. All I've had back is that speedway folk won't go unless it's for the title, seemingly end of....

We could even try the 'same weekend' bit - we'll have our very own National Stadium from next year to stage the competition.

Thing is it seems Ice Hockey can involve a number of teams and have a good number of games over a weekend.You know one big difference is that in a Hockey game in the break a machine goes over the ice and it is as good as new and they are ready for the next part and I bet after one game they might have a 15 minute or more break where the crowd can refresh themselves and the ice is as good as new for the next game.And you can do that ad infinitum over a long weekend and you are sure of the games going on whatever the weather.In speedway it is just different.............

Edited by iris123

Thing is it seems Ice Hockey can involve a number of teams and have a good number of games over a weekend.You know one big difference is that in a Hockey game in the break a machine goes over the ice and it is as good as new and they are ready for the next part and I bet after one game they might have a 15 minute or more break where the crowd can refresh themselves and the ice is as good as new for the next game.And you can do that ad infinitum over a long weekend and you are sure of the games going on whatever the weather.In speedway it is just different.............

Yes, you can't even guarantee one complete meeting on an indoor speedway track... ;)

• Like 1

As far as I can gather, the ice hockey finals weekend is the semi-finals one day, the final the next. A double header followed by a single match the next day. Shouldn't be a problem for a National Stadium, surely.

Sorry not sure what your point is ? Sweden ,Poland ,PL all have play offs all not shown by sky . so the bottom line is we don't just have play offs because of sky that is clear to see .

OK, let's go back to November 2001. Play-offs will be introduced into the EL (only the EL) next season.

Why do you think this move was instigated?

OK, let's go back to November 2001. Play-offs will be introduced into the EL (only the EL) next season.

Why do you think this move was instigated?

Who instigated in Poland and Sweden ? who instigated in Ice hockey ..as I said most sports have decided to use play offs tv or no tv sky or no sky . The fact remains if we only had play offs in uk speedway because of sky then Pl would not be having them .Back in 2001 just like any other rule I expected there would been a vote among the clubs and clearly they voted for them .

Edited by orion

Who instigated in Poland and Sweden ? who instigated in Ice hockey ..as I said most sports have decided to use play offs tv or no tv sky or no sky . The fact remains if we only had play offs in uk speedway because of sky then Pl would not be having them .

Can't you just answer a simple question?

In your opinion, why were play-offs introduced into the EL to start with the 2002 season?

In your opinion, why were play-offs introduced into the EL to start with the 2002 season?

I have answer your question with or without Sky plays offs would be in speedway and proved by the pl having them even thou sky don't show them . for 2002 season there was a vote on the plays offs and they were voted in .

Edited by orion

To give you the answer you are looking for, Sky may have suggested the playoffs to the BSPA, given as they are so successful in every other sport they are used in. That then would have gone to a vote and the Elite League promoters voted to adopt them.

Clearly the Premier League promoters, under no pressure from Sky whatsoever decided that the playoffs would be beneficial to them too. Indeed, as has been recounted earlier in the thread, they did drop them for one year before reinserting them for the following year as they realised their mistake.