British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

You mean like a total outsider coming through to win, maybe someone who was 500/1 before the start of the year. Could never happen now, you have to go back at least 2 years for something like that

He got a wildcard is that right? after being a failure before,i am so glad Tai got his chance fair play to him.Be real Oldace the old romance of the underdog in the WC has long gone all i am saying is in SIMPLE terms the Series certainly helped to change british speedway for the good or for the bad down to the individual to decide.

It isn't as simple as that...evidently it has, both positives and negatives......you seem adamant you want to posistion all things change as Darth Vader though so much so you are just talking compete bull rubbish re the qualification system

Not rubbish just my opinion,where have the British Qualifiers gone? do we only have two British Semi Finals which include 32 British riders.? Edited by sidney

He got a wildcard is that right? after being a failure before,i am so glad Tai got his chance fair play to him.Be real Oldace the old romance of the underdog in the WC has long gone all i am saying is in SIMPLE terms the Series certainly helped to change british speedway for the good or for the bad down to the individual to decide.

Not rubbish just my opinion,where have the British Qualifiers gone? do we only have two British Semi Finals which include 32 British riders.?

It's a redundant opinion it's like adamantly saying the moon is a tangerine, it's an opinion but it's completely wrong

NO !

But both the EL and PL should only be with the top 4 teams

• Like 2

It's a redundant opinion it's like adamantly saying the moon is a tangerine, it's an opinion but it's completely wrong

I like your certainty Fag,!! fair play have you ever considered being a politician?

I love the play-off's, the crowds at Redcar are massive in September & October. I'm sure the crowds must be equally as good at Workington, Rye House, Berwick, Scunthorpe etc..

The Play-off's are great, if your involved, if your not, who cares anyway..

Edited by pvm

At the risk of having "the boring old fart, dinosaur, fossil " epithets thrown my way, may I take you back to 1965.

By mid-season West Ham had seemingly nothing left to play for being in the lower reaches of the league. Certainly nobody outside of Custom house gave them a chance of winning anything.

Come the end of season they had won the league, the knock-out cup and the London cup.

Every match is meaningful if promoters, managers, riders and fans approach them in the right spirit.

If anyone says fans will not turn up to support their team if they have no chance of reaching the play-offs, they are not talking about real fans.

West Ham United have never fielded a side capable of winning the Premier League, but they have no trouble filling the Boleyn ground every home game.

Yes, but not for a league championship. Football has yet to devalue a season-long series of league matches by turning them into qualifying games for a four-team Championship play-off

I could make a fair argument that getting into the Premier League (which is decided at least partly by a play off) is more valuable than a league championship.

Hmm, ok. Though I have heard folk say, once a team has safely qualified, they're not going to some matches because they're keeping their money for the play-offs. Since top to fourth makes no difference some matches are pointless.

Works both ways.

In the PL, the only team that was certain of their place going into the final couple of matches was Edinburgh. Plymouth qualified in their final match, putting Ipswich out. Glasgow lost by a point at Workington in theirs, putting Somerset second. Even Sheffield and Peterborough weren't absolutely certain of where they would finish.

In the EL King's Lynn were out (and Belle Vue through) when they lost their final meeting.

Birmingham won the NL on 06/09/15. There were 12 NL meetings still to be held after that date.

Works both ways maybe, but there's no doubt under which system the interest is kept going for more people.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I say whoever tops the league, is league champions, then create a tournament from the play offs, as like or loathe them, play offs are good income for the clubs.

I agree, call it the gold cup or something and make the top side race the fourth.

At the risk of having "the boring old fart, dinosaur, fossil " epithets thrown my way, may I take you back to 1965.

By mid-season West Ham had seemingly nothing left to play for being in the lower reaches of the league. Certainly nobody outside of Custom house gave them a chance of winning anything.

Come the end of season they had won the league, the knock-out cup and the London cup.

Every match is meaningful if promoters, managers, riders and fans approach them in the right spirit.

If anyone says fans will not turn up to support their team if they have no chance of reaching the play-offs, they are not talking about real fans.

West Ham United have never fielded a side capable of winning the Premier League, but they have no trouble filling the Boleyn ground every home game.

proper relegation would keep it interesting at the bottom in a "professional" sport...trouble is teams for some reason choose to go down!

Are you for real? so every NL, premier,League and EL rider can enter is that right? TECHNICALLY you are right but in the real world this does not happen where are the qualifiers Croatia,Italy, all at the riders expense.Where are OUR qualifiers Oldace? where nearly every rider got a chance one thing's for certain Oldace you would not be getting a Jack Young winning a WC now would you.?

Sid, Jack Young was already one of the best riders in the world in 1950 - he topped the qualifiers. So it's not unreasonable on think that he would have won the 1950 Grand Prix Challenge, and then won the 1951 GP series.

Tai Woffinden was far more of an outsider in 2013.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

I could make a fair argument that getting into the Premier League (which is decided at least partly by a play off) is more valuable than a league championship.

In the PL, the only team that was certain of their place going into the final couple of matches was Edinburgh. Plymouth qualified in their final match, putting Ipswich out. Glasgow lost by a point at Workington in theirs, putting Somerset second. Even Sheffield and Peterborough weren't absolutely certain of where they would finish.

In the EL King's Lynn were out (and Belle Vue through) when they lost their final meeting.

Birmingham won the NL on 06/09/15. There were 12 NL meetings still to be held after that date.

Works both ways maybe, but there's no doubt under which system the interest is kept going for more people.

Fine. Then have play-offs. Only not for the league championship. Regardless of the financial gain in winning the (football) Championship play-offs, the winners are down as 'also promoted' or 'promoted from play-offs'. They are not heralded as 'League Champions'. That accolade goes to the team that wins over the season not by a fluke goal in the 49th match of a 46 game season.

Where a team finishes is irrelevant since fourth (or sixth in PL) is as good as 1st so your little resume of the finish of the PL season is a little superfluous - once qualified, they're in, 2nd or 3rd makes no difference. If you're happy that a team finishing sixth can be heralded as league champions then fine but it doesn't sit easy with me. But I suspect that quite a few agree with this sentiment but are happy with the situation because it gives a failing sport some extra bucks - but only to a small percentage of the teams. Personally, I'd prefer the promoters came up with something that gives every team a few extra quid at the end of the season.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 2

Whatever people views on the play offs I wish people keep pushing this stupid idea of having winners and then a play off cup ...no would care about that ....the riders the fans etc and it would lose clubs money .

I like plays off as without them the fans would stop going in most places by may. but they need to do something about the semi finals and having two on tv on the same night does not work and does not help the crowd figures and is a pain in the backside for people therewho have to wait around I would twice before going again ...the crowd for the second leg at Swindon was poor lower I would say for a lot of league matches . As I said and on that topic show one leg live in each semi final and the other on the others race night .

Whatever people views on the play offs I wish people keep pushing this stupid idea of having winners and then a play off cup ...no would care about that ....the riders the fans etc and it would lose clubs money .

I like plays off as without them the fans would stop going in most places by may. but they need to do something about the semi finals and having two on tv on the same night does not work and does not help the crowd figures and is a pain in the backside for people therewho have to wait around I would twice before going again ...the crowd for the second leg at Swindon was poor lower I would say for a lot of league matches . As I said and on that topic show one leg live in each semi final and the other on the others race night .

I think if you are honest at Swindon we were 14 behind but i still believed we had a chance but the bottom line was we were not good anough.This Play/off thing is a myth is it good NO in my view why? is it WRONG to have a Winner a team who wins over a longer period. Edited by sidney