Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
norbold

Speedway In London In 1970

See my opening post.

Cheers Norbold - my memory these days gets worse by the day. :unsure::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry.

• Like 1

as a wide eyed 13 year old I can remember my grand parents taking me to the full two seasons of the Wembley Lions; what seemed huge crowds on a Saturday night and a number of last heat deciders involving Bert Harkins getting us a 40-38 result; those were the days! Proper tactical substitutes, a team manager having to work it all out, changing your gate positions, elbows flying, or am I just delusional!

I can still see laps from Ove Fundin and then Gote Nordin with his easy armchair style, Reidar Eide, Sverre Harrfeldt, Tony Clarke, Brian Leonard and a very young Dave Jessup. I have all the Lions home programmes and every now again succumb to nostalgia and have to get them out to re enact those seasons (what a sad old git)

It set me up for travelling to Hackney, Wimbledon and then White City but like many others I have fallen out of love with the sport in the last 15 years.

I hope you mention speedway and not just pre-fabs and such like :P

I hope you mention speedway and not just pre-fabs and such like :P

My prefab had gone by 1970 :( :( :(

I wish I had caught this. OK I never really knew much about speedway in the capital as when I started following & understanding the sport there was only Wimbledon & Hackney left.

as a wide eyed 13 year old I can remember my grand parents taking me to the full two seasons of the Wembley Lions; what seemed huge crowds on a Saturday night and a number of last heat deciders involving Bert Harkins getting us a 40-38 result; those were the days! Proper tactical substitutes, a team manager having to work it all out, changing your gate positions, elbows flying, or am I just delusional!

I can still see laps from Ove Fundin and then Gote Nordin with his easy armchair style, Reidar Eide, Sverre Harrfeldt, Tony Clarke, Brian Leonard and a very young Dave Jessup. I have all the Lions home programmes and every now again succumb to nostalgia and have to get them out to re enact those seasons (what a sad old git)

It set me up for travelling to Hackney, Wimbledon and then White City but like many others I have fallen out of love with the sport in the last 15 years.

You are not the only one... :sad:

Edited by Guest