British Speedway Forum
longlivefrankie

Rugby World Cup

I stand corrected HA.It has been expanded to include Sunwolves,Argentina team based in Buenos Aires and SuperKings SA.

Its great to see the sport getting bigger and bigger in Argentina. I'm pretty fearful of the quarter final against them on Sunday, especially with Ireland likely to be missing so many of their top players.

Its great to see the sport getting bigger and bigger in Argentina. I'm pretty fearful of the quarter final against them on Sunday, especially with Ireland likely to be missing so many of their top players.

Yes,the citing commission and injuries to Irelands best could be there downfall.

Since Argentina joined the Rugby Championship they've gone from strength to strength and from what was said to me today,they're looking forward to the biggest game of many of the players careers this Sunday!

I've got £20 on Ireland to lift the Webb Ellis Cup too!!

We have this discussion about the respective codes every so often.

Both have a lot to commend them. I love them both and don't see the need to put down the other. Both are capable of being fantastic spectacles and both can be quite tedious.

The Super League final on Saturday was a cracking match, but so was the Australia/Wales clash at Twickenham. No tries in the Union clash but some fantastic defence from the Aussies.

As someone who takes only a very slight interest in rugby I can tell you that if you told me I could watch league or union I'd pick union. I couldn't go into any technical reasons why, I don't understand half of whats going on in both but it just seems to be capable of maintaining far more interest for me. And to throw football into the mix I'd probably pick that over rugby every time.

That said, I'm sure most sport if you go in with the attitude of I'm going to enjoy this it's a lot more fun.

From someone who has played and coached both codes,you're spot on with your comments.

In days of shamateurism, certainly not surely :shock:, or the days of open rugby?

Edited by pugwash

In days of shamateurism, certainly not surely :shock:, or the days of open rugby?

Open rugby for sure.No brown envelopes or boot money Puggy ;)

• Like 1

Open rugby for sure.No brown envelopes or boot money Puggy ;)

And quite right too.

I was the other way. Shamateur all the way. Played RL as a 'junior', RU as a senior (with the odd game of RL as a.n other) and boot money on wednesdays for turning out for the town police RU team. Disgraceful. :nono:

• Like 1

Chuffed for Shaun Edwards, the most talented player ever to hold a rugby ball. :approve:

Sorry ........ I know it's an old post, but I can't let this outrageous statement pass .................. Edwards wasn't even the most talented player in those Wigan teams of the late 80's and early 90's; nevermind all the other non-Wigan players to play either code

Sorry ........ I know it's an old post, but I can't let this outrageous statement pass .................. Edwards wasn't even the most talented player in those Wigan teams of the late 80's and early 90's; nevermind all the other non-Wigan players to play either code

Interesting comment nickcat0.Edwards won 37 winners medals as RL player,won a record 8 Championships and 9 Challenge Cup Finals as a Wigan player.Is there any player even close to his achievements?

• Like 1

Interesting comment nickcat0.Edwards won 37 winners medals as RL player,won a record 8 Championships and 9 Challenge Cup Finals as a Wigan player.Is there any player even close to his achievements?

There's a difference between being the "most talented player ever to hold a rugby ball" as pugwash suggested; and being a very good player in a side that wins lots of trophies .................... I don't dispute that Edwards is the most decorated player, and even a very good one, just that, in my opinion, he wasn't the most talented in the Wigan team, nevermind all of rugby ............................ Off the top of my head, here's some of Edwards' teammates that I would rate more highly as all-round players; Ellery Hanley, Joe Lydon, Brett Kenny, Andy Gregory, Jason Robinson, Dean Bell, Andy Goodway; and I'm sure there are more that I've missed

Edited by nickcat0
  • Like 2

My old fav in the Eddie Waring days of mud snow and fog was Billy Boston. Always supported Wigan cos I bloody hated Leeds.

• Like 1

There's a difference between being the "most talented player ever to hold a rugby ball" as pugwash suggested; and being a very good player in a side that wins lots of trophies .................... I don't dispute that Edwards is the most decorated player, and even a very good one, just that, in my opinion, he wasn't the most talented in the Wigan team, nevermind all of rugby ............................ Off the top of my head, here's some of Edwards' teammates that I would rate more highly as all-round players; Ellery Hanley, Joe Lydon, Brett Kenny, Andy Gregory, Jason Robinson, Dean Bell, Andy Goodway; and I'm sure there are more that I've missed

You have!! :lol: Add Dennis Betts,Kevin Iro,Andy Platt,Graeme West and Steve Hampson to your list! :t: IMO Hanley was the complete rugby footballer.

Three of those players you mention are in the 'Pie Eaters' Hall of Fame too.

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 2

No one mentioned Radlinski, are the grey cells fading?

IMO Of all those Wigan players mentioned above only Ellery comes near.

As for other teams Murphy was outstanding for Saints and Leigh as were David Watkins at Salford and my boyhood hero Ken Gowers at Swinton.

No one mentioned Radlinski, are the grey cells fading?

He's got ginger hair! :lol:

awesome performance by the abs this morning. to think someone a few psges bacj was saying there was no skill in the modern gsme. the offloads by the nz props to set up two of the tries, no way would you hsve seen that in years gone by.

• Like 1

Great game, magnificent effort by the Boyos who worked so damn hard and gave their all but the Springboks edged over the line and good luck to them in the semis - looks like they might need it against the Kiwis! ;)