British Speedway Forum

I'm old enough to remember in the 50's how Wembley were all powerful and able to sign almost any good rider who came along. They were good box office when they visited away tracks even though they would usually win. .No points restrictions then.

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember in the 50's how Wembley were all powerful and able to sign almost any good rider who came along. They were good box office when they visited away tracks even though they would usually win. .No points restrictions then.

How many years did that last though? Good teams are always box office, we certainly want riders that can race well on all tracks ....

What average would Dudek come in on?

Depends whose asking?? He ought to be a 7 or 7.5 at least, but no doubt Matt could wangle him on a 4.

And the BSPA would say well done that man...... :t:

Id say should come in on a 6.50, would struggle to get a 7.00 in first season as would be a heat leader IMO

Depends whose asking?? He ought to be a 7 or 7.5 at least, but no doubt Matt could wangle him on a 4.

And the BSPA would say well done that man...... :t:

4 would be a joke and cheat for anyone that signs him.

Not sure what averages he will have achieved in Poland or if he has ridden Sweden this season but he has a previous average to reflect his ability.

Anything less than a 6 would be a disgrace.

7 seems fair given that Piotr was last assessed , and proved more than fair.

Janowski

Thomsen

Holder

Kurtz

Woffinden

Would be a decent top 5

Thomsen isn't good enough, he needs to prove himself at Pl level yet, i have seen him and he's nowhere near Brady Kurtz level.

Thomsen isn't good enough, he needs to prove himself at Pl level yet, i have seen him and he's nowhere near Brady Kurtz level.

And Woffy is a pie in the sky wish.

And Woffy is a pie in the sky wish.

Like many of this posters team line ups.

I am surprised they have not included MJJ as they usually do.

• Like 2

Like many of this posters team line ups.

I am surprised they have not included MJJ as they usually do.

He would be a better option than Thomsen. My view is Chris Holder and Maciej Janowski nailed on and i would certainly have Kacper Gomolski back he has improved so much and can improve above his current average, Brady Kurtz would be a good addition or Kyle Newman in the main body, both would be risky and probably North on his current average is worth considering, Davey Watt has been good but he won't get any better now so i can see him being loaned out.

• Like 1

Poole are not the only club who can sign riders without a British club on an assessed average... Seems a bit over the top to say that the Poole Promotion's ability to identify and sign improving riders on "fake low averages" is anything but great management!!

I can clearly remember the 1998 Ipswich Witches team that signed Tomasz Gollob on a 7.50 assessed average! That is hands down the most ridiculous "fake low average" I can remember in the British League. That year they tracked Tony Rickardsson, Tomasz Gollob, Chris Louis, Scotty Nicholls, Toni Svab and Savalas Clouting. They won the league in a canter (P36, W26, D1, L5), won the KO Cup and won the Craven Shield. Rickardsson won the World Championship (Gollob was third), and also won the ELRC. Scotty Nicholls became British U21 champ...

That Ipswich side was the most dominant team I can remember in my time watching the sport. Their end of year averages were:

Tony Rickardsson: 10.29

Chris Louis: 9.42

Tomasz Gollob: 9.29

Scott Nicholls: 6.74

Toni Svab: 5.02

Sal Clouting: 4.09

Signing foreigner riders on assessed averages is part and parcel of the sport. As it happens, since Ford and Golding bought the club back in the late 90s, they have capitalized on the strong supporter base at Poole, and used their financial clout to ensure that the Pirates are the club that the most talented of these unsigned riders want to ride for.
A financially secure club, with plentiful sponsors, and of course the pleasant lifestyle that Poole (Dorset) offers is more a more desirable team to ride for than say a cash-strapped side that can't pay riders and has a home crowd of 500 people. Simple!

had 1,3 and 5 in world championship finishing order, think Louis was brit champ and clouting u21 champ as well

• Like 1

He would be a better option than Thomsen. My view is Chris Holder and Maciej Janowski nailed on and i would certainly have Kacper Gomolski back he has improved so much and can improve above his current average, Brady Kurtz would be a good addition or Kyle Newman in the main body, both would be risky and probably North on his current average is worth considering, Davey Watt has been good but he won't get any better now so i can see him being loaned out.

Subject to the points limit and team-building regs, I think there will be some surprised and disappointed fans and riders!!!!

Edited by Skidder1

Subject to the points limit and team-building regs, I think there will be some surprised and disappointed fans and riders!!!!

I thought you may say that! I doubt many fans will be disappointed though as we know the Poole team will be fantastic whoever the riders are.

I think Poole should sign Bjerre, as a 2nd string; he would be incredible.

Bjerre isn't the rider he was and i wouldn't even want the improved version!

Edited by foreverblue