British Speedway Forum
dump that clutch

Swindon 2016 - A New Era Starts...we Thought..

Plans look ok and it is good to actually see some progress ( hopefully ), but there are a few issues at this time.

1. Spectators limited to 3500 from the present 4950, which is ok for normal meetings

Cough splutter.. :o Come on now your dreaming..

Cough splutter.. :o Come on now your dreaming..

Why dreaming, do you think we will get larger crowds for a league meeting?

• Like 5

Plans look ok and it is good to actually see some progress ( hopefully ), but there are a few issues at this time.

1. Spectators limited to 3500 from the present 4950, which is ok for normal meetings but could limit any major events. Not a major issue.

2. Parking on site 572 spaces, but having more parking off site and free transport to the stadium, off site vehicle capacity and costs unclear. One site proposed is the Groundwell park and ride, not sure of vehicle capacity at this site or the security there in the evenings. These two sites probably limited to under 1000 vehicles in total.

3. The council want to reduce car usage and increase the number of people in each vehicle, but the provision of public transport from Swindon is not clear in times and numbers. Will have to see what is arranged.

Does that show you ORLOV " that this is a cheap option? ( better than nothing i know)I was hoping this venue with Belle Vue would compete to get a few decent events.Really if i am honest i would rather stay at the Abbey,the track decent when right for me facilities mean nothing to me personally.This stadium is a cheap building will look nice at first but will regress,also the track size and shape will not be nearly the same as the Abbey.I don't want to moan i am glad we might still have a track to go to as other tracks have suffered but i am not overly overjoyed.

Why dreaming, do you think we will get larger crowds for a league meeting?

Nothing like it. If you get a 1000 in the Abbey you've done very well, except for the vist of us. That will not change in your new stadium, once the the appeal has passed.

Nothing like it. If you get a 1000 in the Abbey you've done very well, except for the vist of us. That will not change in your new stadium, once the the appeal has passed.

Come off it Starry we always get more than 1000 for every meeting even for that naff mob from Dorset :wink:

Come off it Starry we always get more than 1000 for every meeting even for that naff mob from Dorset :wink:

I would very much doubt that. Your biggest crowd of the season will always be against us.

In the Leigh Adams era the crowds were 1,500 strong every week. They are around 1000 nowadays. I'm pretty sure crowds will increase with the new stadium. Got to expect 2000 at least for the first few meetings. Then it's up to the management as to how they promote and advertise speedway in Swindon.

In the Leigh Adams era the crowds were 1,500 strong every week. They are around 1000 nowadays. I'm pretty sure crowds will increase with the new stadium. Got to expect 2000 at least for the first few meetings. Then it's up to the management as to how they promote and advertise speedway in Swindon.

If you guys can't get a crowd with the entertaining team you've assembled we'd just as well all pack up and go home.

Crowds averaged around 1300-1400 last season, went up from around 1200 to 1500 when Wardy was riding...up to 2500 for the Knobs visits. Then don't know if they include the approx. 400 season-ticket holders, freeloaders, guests, and hangers-on. Were almost 2000 10 years ago in the Adams era.. Crowds will shoot up when the new stadium opens, and hopefully sustain. Needs to be properly promoted in surrounding areas as well, as The Roobins attract fans from places such as Bristol, Bath, Oxford, Reading, Southampton, Cheltenham, Gloucester,etc., so there's a massive catchment area, and they need to capitalise on this.

The new "Robins Farm" pub/carvery opens on the 15th. of this month, just a stones throw from the new stadium. Pre/post match booze and grub...plenty of places in that area now.

Edited by Downsman

Problem is mate once the novalty wears off the crowds will drop. Then its down to your promotion. But like PN says, if you cannot maintain a good crowd with that side you might as well pack up.

But i have an idea, why don't the promotion give Orion a board to hang over his shoulders and walk round Swindon town centre saying please come to Swindon, and give him free entry and chuck him a bottle of water. That should do it ! But don't let him write it. :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006

Problem is mate once the novalty wears off the crowds will drop. Then its down to your promotion. But like PN says, if you cannot maintain a good crowd with that side you might as well pack up.

But i have an idea, why don't the promotion give Orion a board to hang over his shoulders and walk round Swindon town centre saying please come to Swindon, and give him free entry and chuck him a bottle of water. That should do it ! But don't let him write it. :rofl:

Is that what you do for Poole as well as sell the speedway comic?

I would very much doubt that. Your biggest crowd of the season will always be against us.

In my unbiased opinion, Coventry take more supporters to Swindon from meetings I have been to. Poole are the not the greatest with travelling support - it was always very poor at EOES.

• Like 3

In my unbiased opinion, Coventry take more supporters to Swindon from meetings I have been to. Poole are the not the greatest with travelling support - it was always very poor at EOES.

By Swindon's own admission, Poole's visits always produce the bigger crowds as its the closest Poole have for a local derby these days. Easter Sunday at 5pm should prove that once again - as long as the weather isn't against us!!

Swindon is about the same distance from Coventry as Poole, they normally both bring no more than a couple of hundred, around the same I would say. The Grand Finals against the Bees and Pirates showed over 5000 for the Bees visit, and only 2700 for Poole, the same as a league match. Although for the Pirates league visits the Blunsdon crowds more or less double, and they are by far the largest draw for the home fans as they are normally the top team in the league. Swindon's away support is pretty good, though nowhere near the 60s/70s/80s levels when they took 500 fans to Edinburgh on the Mad Wellie Express, and got over 10000 for some home meetings. Most teams away support could fit into a minibus thesedays.

Edited by Downsman

By Swindon's own admission, Poole's visits always produce the bigger crowds as its the closest Poole have for a local derby these days. Easter Sunday at 5pm should prove that once again - as long as the weather isn't against us!!

Fair enough Clive - I stand corrected! ;)