British Speedway Forum
Skid Sprocket

Bbc Local Radio Coverage

For many years I have been disgusted by the lack of speedway coverage we get from our local BBC radio station.

Are all local BBC stations up and down the country the same or are some worthy of praise?

Has anyone tried to complain to the BBC?

I am at the point of complaining, any tips from successful complainants?

Where is local?

BBC WM do a great job from Birmingham & Wolverhampton & seem to be the most prolific. Coventry & Warwickshire sometimes do Coventry & I listened to both legs of the EL final on Radio Solent.

I use this page to see what's being covered, http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/speedway/17839601, and my only complaint is that it's sometimes difficult to find if the coverage is on the normal DAB feed, or only on the BBC Sport app or the station's own website.

Where is local?

BBC WM do a great job from Birmingham & Wolverhampton & seem to be the most prolific. Coventry & Warwickshire sometimes do Coventry & I listened to both legs of the EL final on Radio Solent.

I use this page to see what's being covered, http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/speedway/17839601, and my only complaint is that it's sometimes difficult to find if the coverage is on the normal DAB feed, or only on the BBC Sport app or the station's own website.

Local to me is BBC Tees. The latest non reporting issue is that the South Tees Motor Sports Park (Redcar Bears) hosted the final of the Premier League 4 Team Tournament last Thursday 1st October and I have not heard one word of reporting from BBC Tees despite their studios being 6 minutes from the track (Google maps data).

Its good to hear of at least two stations doing their bit but I think they will be in the minority.

BBC Radio Suffolk provide very good coverage to both the witches and the fen tigers and Foz who is the drive time presenter is a great advocate for the sport. We also get very good local press through the East Anglian Daily Times and the local Ipswich paper, the Star with some good forthright reporting by Mike Bacon. All in all we do very well in Suffolk and North Essex. I believe that the Eastern Daily Press in Norfolk provide some decent coverage for the Stars but others may be better qualified to comment on this

Yes, I can certainly agree with Hawk that Ipswich get good coverage on local radio and in the local press. I haven't listened to BBC Essex in some time but they used to give Arena Essex/ Lakeside good coverage, though I don't know what it's like now.

From comments it would seem that there are about four BBC local radio stations that have reasonable to good coverage of speedway but with 39 stations that is a very poor showing.

BBC Radio Norfolk are pretty good during the season ..... certainly not as good as BBCWM!!

Perhaps the BSPA could look into officially thanking some of the stations for their good coverage?

• Like 1

BBC CWR will be hosting their annual live Speedway Forum at 6:00 pm on Monday 26th October.

Guest line up not confirmed as yet, but usually includes a mix of Promotion and Riders.

ATB

Dave

• Like 1

BBC locals run on a relatively shoestring budget and coverage of minority sports seems often to be based on whether someone on the team is into the particular sport. You'd be surprised just how small these departments can be.

Another aspect depends on the quality of information given by tracks and the attitude that they show to the station.

Speedway has a very real problem with credibility though and it's only a great deal of hard work in some parts of the country that has seen us get the coverage that we have.

On the positive side I once met the head of sport for the English Regions (radio and TV) and when asked about coverage of the sport said that he didn't have a problem with it, but ultimately it was down to the local sports editor.

So, we have the present 'patchwork quilt' with WM providing remarkable coverage, but then speedway has always been part of the general sports conversation in that area, especially the Black Country. Coventry & Warwickshire, Solent, Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire have reasonable records too while Devon & Cornwall share a late show fronted by a presenter well-versed in speedway and who regularly features the night's results. So often it's about having the right person in the right place.

We are in huge competition for coverage by the BBC locals' very limited resources and it is up to the tracks and supporters to build links, encourage coverage, not demand it. Having someone broadcastable who can help spread the word and provide material is also very useful.

We have no divine right to coverage, unlike football and have to work for all that we get which is why I was so incensed when the previous Birmingham promotion were monumentally stupid enough to ban WM.

Local BBC stations may be run on a shoestring budget but it doesn't stop our local sending reporters the length and breadth of the country to cover football matches. Our local is literally five minutes from our track but even with the offer of complimentary tickets they never come near the place.

Not sure how football has a divine right to coverage, the BBC are meant to be unbiased and not crowd chasers as the commercial stations (understandably) are, I always thought that was the reason for licence funding.

The word "local" in local radio should mean just that, for example, Lewis Hamilton winning the latest GP is great news but that is national news and should not take precedence over local stories.

• Like 1

BBC locals run on a relatively shoestring budget and coverage of minority sports seems often to be based on whether someone on the team is into the particular sport. You'd be surprised just how small these departments can be.

Another aspect depends on the quality of information given by tracks and the attitude that they show to the station.

Speedway has a very real problem with credibility though and it's only a great deal of hard work in some parts of the country that has seen us get the coverage that we have.

On the positive side I once met the head of sport for the English Regions (radio and TV) and when asked about coverage of the sport said that he didn't have a problem with it, but ultimately it was down to the local sports editor.

So, we have the present 'patchwork quilt' with WM providing remarkable coverage, but then speedway has always been part of the general sports conversation in that area, especially the Black Country. Coventry & Warwickshire, Solent, Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire have reasonable records too while Devon & Cornwall share a late show fronted by a presenter well-versed in speedway and who regularly features the night's results. So often it's about having the right person in the right place.

We are in huge competition for coverage by the BBC locals' very limited resources and it is up to the tracks and supporters to build links, encourage coverage, not demand it. Having someone broadcastable who can help spread the word and provide material is also very useful.

We have no divine right to coverage, unlike football and have to work for all that we get which is why I was so incensed when the previous Birmingham promotion were monumentally stupid enough to ban WM.

Swindon Town FC have also banned the independent media. The Radio Devon guy who announces the speedway results is me old mate Vic Morgan, fanatical Town fan and occasional visitor to the Abbey.

Local BBC stations may be run on a shoestring budget but it doesn't stop our local sending reporters the length and breadth of the country to cover football matches. Our local is literally five minutes from our track but even with the offer of complimentary tickets they never come near the place.

Not sure how football has a divine right to coverage, the BBC are meant to be unbiased and not crowd chasers as the commercial stations (understandably) are, I always thought that was the reason for licence funding.

The word "local" in local radio should mean just that, for example, Lewis Hamilton winning the latest GP is great news but that is national news and should not take precedence over local stories.

Meanwhile, in the real world..........

It is in the BBC's remit to serve its audience and given those restricted budgets the decision is usually taken to feature what is by far the nation's most important and popular sport.

The problem with then saying "No, spend part of that on speedway" is that you then have to explain to rugby, athletics, ice hockey, basketball, and supporters of innumerable other sports why speedway is getting coverage.

By the way, sending one reporter and a radio link around the country isn't that expensive and often stations use their colleagues from other stations around the country.

You clearly are clueless how the industry works. I don't agree that football does have that divine right but ask the vast majority of people and you'll get a different answer.

It's all very well shouting demands into the wind, but why should speedway get special treatment just because you're shouting loudly?

Swindon Town FC have also banned the independent media. The Radio Devon guy who announces the speedway results is me old mate Vic Morgan, fanatical Town fan and occasional visitor to the Abbey.

I was trying to keep personalities out of it but yes, I was referring to Vic Morgan with whom I once spent an excellent evening in the press box at Exeter. He was working for the beeb and I was fouling up the race fanfares.....

Re banning of the media by certain football clubs - it's becoming obvious that they see them as rivals to their websites!

I worked on a station about 20 years ago (not BBC) where speedway got a good place on its output - but only really because I was involved there (on a volunteer basis) and liked the sport. We also had a local councillor who covered women's football - until it was realised it was his excuse to get near to young women........

Edited by rmc

Meanwhile, in the real world..........

It is in the BBC's remit to serve its audience and given those restricted budgets the decision is usually taken to feature what is by far the nation's most important and popular sport.

The problem with then saying "No, spend part of that on speedway" is that you then have to explain to rugby, athletics, ice hockey, basketball, and supporters of innumerable other sports why speedway is getting coverage.

By the way, sending one reporter and a radio link around the country isn't that expensive and often stations use their colleagues from other stations around the country.

You clearly are clueless how the industry works. I don't agree that football does have that divine right but ask the vast majority of people and you'll get a different answer.

It's all very well shouting demands into the wind, but why should speedway get special treatment just because you're shouting loudly?

I was trying to keep personalities out of it but yes, I was referring to Vic Morgan with whom I once spent an excellent evening in the press box at Exeter. He was working for the beeb and I was fouling up the race fanfares.....

Re banning of the media by certain football clubs - it's becoming obvious that they see them as rivals to their websites!

I worked on a station about 20 years ago (not BBC) where speedway got a good place on its output - but only really because I was involved there (on a volunteer basis) and liked the sport. We also had a local councillor who covered women's football - until it was realised it was his excuse to get near to young women........

It is the BBC's remit is to serve its audience and with local BBC radio that should really mean the local audience.

This being a speedway forum the bias is always going to be towards furthering the interests of speedway but I for one would never object to the featuring any other local sport in an evenly balanced way.

In the case of my local BBC station it is at least two and often three reporters that are sent round the country to report on the local football club and they never use colleagues from sister stations to do the commentaries.

I don't know the finer details how the industry works but I do know what comes out of the speaker of my radio and it is far from 100% local.

I'll repeat again the BBC should not be crowd chasers, that is for the independent commercial stations. Part of the BBC's remit should be to educate (that dirty word) its audience to what other sport is available in its local area.

It seems to come down to the individual reporters preferences as to what gets reported as you seem to have done well with at the station you volunteered.

Edited by Skid Sprocket