British Speedway Forum
Skid Sprocket

Bbc Local Radio Coverage

So, BBC Radio Solent interviewed Darcy Ward today, the interview was played on BBC Radio Norfolk this evening ...... the interview is also on the main BBC website.

Can I point folk in the direction of 'petrolheads' on BBC radio norfolk? I live in Leeds but listen to it on iplayer. It's only on between the end of one football season and the start of the next but there's always something good on, bits on the king's lynn stars and some odd stuff that you didn't know you'd be interested in (vw owners club, scalextric championship, etc). Look out for it in may.

Radio Suffolk give excellent coverage to the Mildenhall Fen Tigers and also the Ipswich Witches

Stephen Foster has a regular spot on his show which features updates and interviews and results also feature on the morning shows on the station. Stephen has a great love and understanding of the sport and acts as presenter on occasions at both tracks.

It is a two way thing though, the clubs must make the effort to keep the stations informed and then we can work together to promote interest in our clubs

• Like 2

It is the BBC's remit is to serve its audience and with local BBC radio that should really mean the local audience.

This being a speedway forum the bias is always going to be towards furthering the interests of speedway but I for one would never object to the featuring any other local sport in an evenly balanced way.

In the case of my local BBC station it is at least two and often three reporters that are sent round the country to report on the local football club and they never use colleagues from sister stations to do the commentaries.

I don't know the finer details how the industry works but I do know what comes out of the speaker of my radio and it is far from 100% local.

I'll repeat again the BBC should not be crowd chasers, that is for the independent commercial stations. Part of the BBC's remit should be to educate (that dirty word) its audience to what other sport is available in its local area.

It seems to come down to the individual reporters preferences as to what gets reported as you seem to have done well with at the station you volunteered.

Swindon Town FC average attendance 4-5,000 - Swindon Robins 1-1,500

Newcastle United 49,000 - Newcastle Diamonds 1,500

Middlesbrough FC 20,000 - Redcar Bears 8/900

Manchester United 70,000 - Belle Vue 2,000

and I've probably been generous on some of the speedway attendances.

Don't think football has a "divine" right to coverage simply it dominates and most BBC stations reflect that dominance. In some areas of the county Rugby League, club rugby union, basketball, ice hockey and cricket attract crowds which dwarf speedway but get little or no radio coverage. When was the last time you heard a radio report from a stock car meeting at Arena Essex despite the fact that the crowd will have been six or seven times that of a Lakeside meeting?

Swindon Town average around 7000...Robins around 1400, Wildcats ice-hockey around 1000. Sure Newcastle would love to average 1500, and if Belle Vue don't sort their new track out wont be getting anywhere near 2000!

Because i am new to this forum i am looking round it. Seeing all the old threads. Well this one really does get me angry. I used to hear Natalie (BT presenter) doing reports on Aces meetings on GMR. Then Radio Manchester. Now nothing. They give up Speedway long before they made drastic cuts. Like they now do not cover lower Rugby League matches. I think it is bad. As well as this i have noticed the MEN do not mention Speedway anymore. I no longer buy that. Speedway deserves to be mentioned more.