British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Cradley 2016

CRADLEY Heathens are on the lookout for new management to take the club forward.

The current consortium, which brought the world famous club back to league racing in 2010, have reluctantly made the decision they cannot continue under the current circumstances.

They are keen, however, to emphasise they wish to see the club continue into the 2016 season if at all possible.

To that end, a meeting has been arranged with the interim board of the newly-formed Heathens Supporters Trust to discuss the situation.

Based at Perry Barr Stadium in Birmingham, the Heathens have finished third in this year's National League.

However, it has been a logistically difficult season for the management with Nigel Pearson unavailable on occasions due to his broadcasting duties, Chris Van Straaten needing to give his full attention to Wolverhampton and Gary Patchett unable to attend events at the stadium.

The consortium state: "It is a very difficult thing for us to do, but unfortunately at this time we cannot continue for both business and personal reasons.

"It is our intention to do everything we can to allow the club to continue under new management next season rather than close the club down.

"We sincerely hope the forthcoming cup tie with King's Lynn at Perry Barr on October 14 is not the last ever Heathens meeting.

"Our sincere thanks to the fans and sponsors for standing by us in a difficult season at Perry Barr and to the support of the Birmingham track staff through Denise Drury and the excellent medical team.

"But special thanks to our team manager Will Pottinger for his sterling work once again."

Any interested parties are asked to email info@cradleyheathens.co in confidence.

Think they have become exasperated with Dudley council in trying to find them a site(or not trying to find them a site, is more to the point).

No doubt if it had been houses or industrial units,their outlook would have been quite different.

Really sorry if this is the end for the Heathens,they have given us so much pleasure(and heartache if youre a Wolves fan)over the past years.

Hope you can find someone to carry on the fight,and keep this wonderful old club alive.

• Like 2

What have Cradley's crowds been like at Birmingham compared to what they used to get at Wolves?

What have crowd levels been like for Birmingham and Cradley? Similar levels for both teams?

Have the attendances been lower at Birmingham than they were at Monmore?

Oops.. John beat me to it by about 3 seconds :)

Edited by BWitcher

What have Cradley's crowds been like at Birmingham compared to what they used to get at Wolves?

What have crowd levels been like for Birmingham and Cradley? Similar levels for both teams?

Difference could be successful team last couple of seasons compared to non-successful this season.

From Birminghams main site

BIRMINGHAM Speedway have just been notified of the statement issued by the Cradley Heathens regarding the future of their club.

Their statement has come as a complete surprise to us and we’re disappointed that we found out about this matter through their press release and that nobody from Cradley Speedway contacted us about the situation.

However, we would like to emphasise categorically that their decision to look for new management for next year has no bearing whatsoever on the future of Birmingham Speedway.

Throughout the season there has been plenty of rumour that the only reason Birmingham were running in 2015 was because of the track sharing agreement between the two clubs. This has not once been the case in any way, shape or form.

While a decision is still yet to be made on which league it will be, Birmingham Speedway will without question be back at the tapes in 2016.

I feel for the Cradley fans at this point. Looks like a winter of uncertainty something that us Brummie fans experienced last year. Keep the faith guys.

• Like 1

Im a little surprised to be honest that all 3 of them dont want to stick it out. I know that Gary Patchett isnt allowed in to Perry Barr due to an apparent dispute with the GRA but given the news about them in talks to Dudley Council only a month or so back, I am surprised with this. Surely the best outcome would have been to bring in someone with intention of day to day of the club to replace Patchett rarther than all three of them going and prospect of the club closing down. I reckon CVS has been quite hands on with Cradley this year esp home matches as hes always in the main reception when I get there. Obviously with Wolves having a bad year then he will want to spnd more time with Wolves next year but as I say if they can get someone in to run it and with Nigel helping when he can, CVS could just be a background partner next year.

I have been to every Brummies and Cradley home match this year and for most of the season crowds have been similar for both. Although I felt as we got into August, Cradleys crowds dipped a bit and the Brummies have increased. The crowd for the last match Cradley had in August was probably the worst crowd ive seen at PB this year for either club. That said I dont think overall the crowds have been bad at all.

All the best Heathens fans, last year was a nightmare not knowing what was happening to my club. I just hope this is resolved and someone comes forward as quickly as possible.

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 3

I've been to 3 of the Birmingham v Cradley matches at Perry Barr this season and the place has been packed out with a cracking atmosphere, matched by some excellent racing.

Would be a great shame if the Heathens don't carry on next year.

• Like 2

I'd say crowds have been down slightly but would make most NL (and higher!) Management's very happy.

Surprised to hear this news this morning.

I too expected headway was being made given the positives news over the course of this season.

In fairness Pearson and Co have always said that if there was no positive signs from the council then they would pull the plug.

I guess something has tipped the edge over the last few days.

I feel for the Cradley fans, you couldn't get more loyal fans anywhere.

• Like 2

From Birminghams main site...

...However, we would like to emphasise categorically that their decision to look for new management for next year has no bearing whatsoever on the future of Birmingham Speedway...

This may be a very optimistic prediction. If both teams relied on each other then the impact of one will be felt by the other.

If I open my window I'm sure I'll be able to hear the sound of cheering coming from the direction of Dudley Council House.

Unhelpful at best .... downright obstructive at worst, they have been presented with at least four perfectly viable options down the years and have managed to strangle the life out of all of them.

Still we can always go to the football, cricket, greyhounds or sample the delights of Brierley Hill and Cosely Swimming Baths. Oh hang on a bit..... they've all disappeared too.

What a record no wonder Dudley Town Centre is dead on its feet.

Thanks to Nigel, Chris and Gary for their excellent work ove rthe last 6 years. It's been an absolute pleasure to support the team.

Hopefully someone else will take up the baton. The Club has a great fan base but without a 'home' base it will be difficult for them.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 2