British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Cradley 2016

Wolverhampton is a more uniform shape and i would never complain about the racing i have seen there but Eastbourne on the other hand is shaped like an egg and there more than most tracks riders making mistakes allows home riders to sail past with impunity and if Eastbourne fans are happy to win like that fair enough---just don't ask me to like it :nono:

Wouldn't say wolves is similar to Eastbourne,if anything Buxton is more similar in size and both look difficult to ride.im intrigued as to how Andrews will take to the small tracks as I hear tracks in Australia are quite big

Wouldn't say wolves is similar to Eastbourne,if anything Buxton is more similar in size and both look difficult to ride.im intrigued as to how Andrews will take to the small tracks as I hear tracks in Australia are quite big

Not really - Pinjar Park WA is just 142 metres. Gillman is 300m, Mildura 302m. Undera, Kurri Kurri & Gosford are all 320m. Among recent regular tracks only North Brisbane at 350 metres could really be described as large.

The big tracks like Claremont, Sydney Showground, Rowley Park are all long gone.

Rosebank is 294m by the way.

Wolverhampton is a more uniform shape and i would never complain about the racing i have seen there but Eastbourne on the other hand is shaped like an egg and there more than most tracks riders making mistakes allows home riders to sail past with impunity and if Eastbourne fans are happy to win like that fair enough---just don't ask me to like it :nono:

Like Nicki Pedersen said - If you can ride Eastbourne you can ride anywhere
  • Like 1

apologies I thought he was an australian,can anyone tell me what is typical track sizes in Nz,and how many tracks are there.i wasnt even aware speedway was still a thing there.will be great to have a kiwi in british speedway

apologies I thought he was an australian,can anyone tell me what is typical track sizes in Nz,and how many tracks are there.i wasnt even aware speedway was still a thing there.will be great to have a kiwi in british speedway

We've had one for the last season in Bradley Wilson-Dean.

Where is this place in Brieley Hill that Nigel Pearson has tweeted that could have been the home of Cradley.

He says it now cant happen because the proposed Metro line is going straight through the middle of the site.

I thought the new line was supposed to be on the old freight tracks that are still in place.

Cant recognise from the picture where exactly in Brieley Hill this site is.

Where is this place in Brieley Hill that Nigel Pearson has tweeted that could have been the home of Cradley.

He says it now cant happen because the proposed Metro line is going straight through the middle of the site.

I thought the new line was supposed to be on the old freight tracks that are still in place.

Cant recognise from the picture where exactly in Brieley Hill this site is.

Havent seen the tweet, but I'm guessing Canal Street, I was told it was to be used as a Depot for Building Hardware for the proposed new Metro, and like you I understood the new Metro was supposed to be the old Freight line.

Canal Street, Dudley end of Brierley Hill, where the old Bus Depot used to be for those of a certain generation that can remember :wink: . ​

Edited by greyhoundp

It's a decent bit of land, I went to go and have a look when roumers first came about. There are houses still quite close to the stadium and to be honest it wasn't down the best street as of canal street but it would have been perfect for a track. They need to look further afield, maybe somewhere in Tipton Wednesbury or West Brom and just get a track in the area not in cradley or Dudley who have given us no hope!

I couldn't have told you where was referred to either but based on the comment above I assume the land is where I've circled (ish) in green and the intended tram line where I've marked red. There is plenty of land between Birmingham New Road and up to Castle Gate but having been refused it for two decades it seems somewhat pointless to continue targeting it now.

I've asked a couple of times whether anywhere in the Wolverhampton area rather than Dudley and Sandwell has been looked at but I've had no reply to that. For those unfamiliar with the area - The outskirts of Wolverhampton is only about a minute drive from where is shown on the photo as this is where the three council areas meet. At least Wolverhampton is known to be speedway/sport friendly whereas the others pay lip service but never act on it.

post-264-0-45791900-1452256123_thumb.jpg

I couldn't have told you where was referred to either but based on the comment above I assume the land is where I've circled (ish) in green and the intended tram line where I've marked red. There is plenty of land between Birmingham New Road and up to Castle Gate but having been refused it for two decades it seems somewhat pointless to continue targeting it now.

I've asked a couple of times whether anywhere in the Wolverhampton area rather than Dudley and Sandwell has been looked at but I've had no reply to that. For those unfamiliar with the area - The outskirts of Wolverhampton is only about a minute drive from where is shown on the photo as this is where the three council areas meet. At least Wolverhampton is known to be speedway/sport friendly whereas the others pay lip service but never act on it.

Established and existing speedway promotions have always had a weighted say about agreeing to another track/promotion opening within a certain radius of their venue. (Such distances have been 20mls or more, and objections upheld.)

To propose there be 2 venues in W'ton seems ludicrous, to put it politely. When both would have a common member within each's promotion is even more unlikely.

Why would CvS want 2 tracks in one borough?

Why would he want to add capital costs (wherever in the Black Country,) to a financially successful operation based wholly on variable cost?

To suggest that it makes any difference to Wolverhampton Speedway, or CVS due to his involvement with it and Cradley Speedway, in which town, borough, council area a site for a new track is found makes no sense to me. So heavily populated is the area that the borders are blurred anywhere around here.

Take Coseley as an example of this. It's controlled by DMBC, has Bilston in its address, a WV postcode rather than a D and sits very squarely in the middle of Bilston (Wolverhampton), Sedgley (Dudley) and Tipton (Sandwell). Why would quarter of mile this way or that to technically place a new track in any of these (as examples rather than to be taken too literally) make the slightest difference to Wolverhampton Speedway or Birmingham Speedway? (I name Birmingham too as I would also suggest any site on the north western side within its control should also be considered)

The two clubs are currently operating at the same stadium let alone in the same city/borough anyway! If CVS had an objection to this we'd not have made a comeback in 2010 nor continued at Monmore Green. Last year's move was nothing to do with an objection by CVS or Wolverhampton Speedway. So all the real world evidence, rather than the initial projections prior to the 2010 season, is entirely in support of my opinion that Wolverhampton could and should be looked at.

Cant view that attachment,but looking at Google Maps it seems the only place in Canal Street that looks like Nigel Pearson,s tweeted photo,is the piece of land just off the Dudley Road which used to be occupied by the old Harts Hill bus depot.

Still cant fathom out though,how the Metro tracks would go through the middle of the site.

Thought the idea of the new line was to get people to the Merry Hill shopping centre,whereas if it went to the proposed site it would be going in a different direction.