British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Cradley 2016

So Cradley Confirm that Perks, Greaves, Neale, Mogridge, Govier, and Harris will not be back in 2016 for varying reasons, so we need 2 x 4+ riders or a 5 +4 looking at 21sts list of 4+ ers there is only one available, and I'm almost certain he will be heading back to one of his former Teams.

In fairness of that list Greaves & Govier are confirmed elsewhere, Neale & Moggo taking a year out and Harris was a bit pants didn't improve as expected and Perks was a yoyo rider bouncing from heatleader to reserve and back again (although I think he will be fixed up somewhere).

Could be a 5 & 4 or a 6 & 3 point combo if you want to run Purchase in the main team. You can have Verge if you like.

Edited by Sings4Kings

Perks went back to reserve briefly due in large part to Neale improving significantly at the same time Perks was riding whilst injured - I heard he almost jacked it in for the season but decided to ride through it. He averaged 7.78 (with BPs) from all meetings and must, I'm sure, have been a serious consideration for a second season with the Heathens. (stats from Cradley website)

Harris was a strange one. He really should have had a much better season. I saw some real promise in him in 2014. He's smooth with a tidy style but his gating was dreadful and confidence at a real low. He was shutting off half way down the straight when behind, yet on the few occasions he had fresh air he was far more committed in to the turns. As soon as he was passed he was shutting off early again.

----------------------------------------

There are others that averaged 4.something it's just those few that I listed quickly. Many will be seen as unattractive options and are taken elsewhere of course but we're going to need someone who can fill that role and just keep scoring the 2's and 1's. Dugard is not yet announced anywhere so he should be a target. Widman? Maybe IOW? Jones on sub-4 should put half a point on. If you want one out of left-field then what about Isherwood also on 4½? Anybody know if Freemantle is looking to ride again? Fairly sure he's still on a 3 - don't think he ever got a new average.

Tbh if Clifton isn't a 3 then why should Purchase be.

Because Clifton was a 5 point PL rider while Purchase was a 4 point NL rider.

I don't know what they averaged previously but from comments made I can infer that they rode enough to be considered to have some experience of significance but didn't make any sort of major break through. Assuming this accurate I consider 3½/4 to be perfectly fair. It gives them a route back to the sport without tempting a club to choose them directly over a 3-pointer.

• Like 3

When Rye House signed Andrew Silver in 2009 he was given an assessed four (could have even been five) point average despite being 42 and having had over ten years out of the sport. That was in the Premier League.

Edited by Ben91

Perks went back to reserve briefly due in large part to Neale improving significantly at the same time Perks was riding whilst injured - I heard he almost jacked it in for the season but decided to ride through it. He averaged 7.78 (with BPs) from all meetings and must, I'm sure, have been a serious consideration for a second season with the Heathens. (stats from Cradley website)

Harris was a strange one. He really should have had a much better season. I saw some real promise in him in 2014. He's smooth with a tidy style but his gating was dreadful and confidence at a real low. He was shutting off half way down the straight when behind, yet on the few occasions he had fresh air he was far more committed in to the turns. As soon as he was passed he was shutting off early again.

----------------------------------------

There are others that averaged 4.something it's just those few that I listed quickly. Many will be seen as unattractive options and are taken elsewhere of course but we're going to need someone who can fill that role and just keep scoring the 2's and 1's. Dugard is not yet announced anywhere so he should be a target. Widman? Maybe IOW? Jones on sub-4 should put half a point on. If you want one out of left-field then what about Isherwood also on 4½? Anybody know if Freemantle is looking to ride again? Fairly sure he's still on a 3 - don't think he ever got a new average.

Completely agree, with regards Perks and Harris, who I thought prior to the start of the season was a good signing on 3, but he never really progressed, and if anything went backwards as the season progressed, Kelsey Dugard is the stand out 4+ rider, and should go well around Monmore, and as for Isherwood not so left - field as you might think, been mentioned in a few places, and from one usually reliable source.

Completely agree, with regards Perks and Harris, who I thought prior to the start of the season was a good signing on 3, but he never really progressed, and if anything went backwards as the season progressed, Kelsey Dugard is the stand out 4+ rider, and should go well around Monmore, and as for Isherwood not so left - field as you might think, been mentioned in a few places, and from one usually reliable source.

I understand the pressure to get a rider in place but, to just sign a rider like isherwood as a programme filler does not excite me at all. I don't know who but i'd rather take a chance on an untried lad than a long in the tooth plodder.

• Like 1

Will Purchase be at reserve?

Id say yes, to big a gamble to take in the main body, considering he only had a 4.5ish average 10 years ago in a League that may not be as strong as the current NL.

If you are going 2X 4+ riders what about David Mason, you almost signed him last season towards the end.