British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LagutaRacingFan

Monarchs Vs Panthers - 9/10/15 Sf 2nd Leg

So the Panthers take a slender lead to Armadale where a repeat of the previous fixture at Armadale between the two sides would see the Panthers march on, I suspect this will go down to H15.

Thomsen will beat Edinburgh top boys around Armadale and Barker should do much better.

I'm going 43-47 to the Panthers with Grondal bagging 17

Edited by Morrissey Fan
  • Like 1

I'm going for a 52-38, too much top end power for the Monarchs. Still a very solid productive season for a team that was hastily put together.

Hope it's better than your last prediction:

Edinburgh are falling apart, they will be shredded tomorrow.

54-39 Panthers

We will lose by at least 15 points in my opinion, but have really enjoyed this season. Big thanks to Ged, for making the club feel part of the fans again, & hope we see more of the same next season.

• Like 2

Teams as per Official Edinburgh website:-

TEAMS FOR THE PREMIER PLAYOFF SEMI-FINAL SECOND LEG MATCH AT ARMADALE ON FRIDAY 9th October (start time 7.30, doors open 6.30) are:
EDINBURGH BORDER ROOFING MONARCHS: Craig Cook (capt.), Justin Sedgmen, Kevin Wolbert, Erik Riss, Sam Masters, Max Clegg, Rob Branford.

PETERBOROUGH READYPOWER PANTHERS: Rohan Tungate (guest), Michael Palm Toft, Anders Thomsen, Simon Lambert, Ben Barker, Emil Grondal, Rafal Konopka.

Although at full strength, Edinburgh will have three riders who might not be fully fit because of recent injuries and illness (Clegg, Masters, & Wolbert), so this match could go either way, especially if Grondal goes as well as his fellow Dane, Jensen did from reserve last Friday.

I can't see it going any other way with Monarchs big top 4...but will echo what's already been said..really enjoyable season and the feel good factor is back at the Boro thanks to Ged.

• Like 1

So the Panthers take a slender lead to Armadale where a repeat of the previous fixture at Armadale between the two sides would see the Panthers march on, I suspect this will go down to H15.

Thomsen will beat Edinburgh top boys around Armadale and Barker should do much better.

I'm going 43-47 to the Panthers with Grondal bagging 17

Once again come heat 15 tomorrow your going to look rather stupid but your used to it I suppose.

• Like 1

On paper the Monarchs are clear favourites but I think the Panthers can win this. They have nothing to lose and despite huge injury problems throughout the season Ged and co have put a very good team together who I think are capable of going all the way.

Tungate at number 1 will mean the Monarchs have enough for this 1 I reckon unless Grondal has an amazing night. Not really many better options for a guest. If i remember right only Palm Toft and Konopka remain from the victory at Armadale earlier in the year so that result doesn't mean a lot. Robert Lambert and Ricky Wells both had decent returns that evening

Really can't see the Panthers winning the tie overall. Home side top 4 just look too strong . Yes panthers did well on there last visit but it's the crunch time if the season and think Edinburgh are flying right now . Tungate scored 9 and 4 from his 2 visits this year he needs to score alot more if the Panthers are to have any chance.

Really can't see the Panthers winning the tie overall. Home side top 4 just look too strong . Yes panthers did well on there last visit but it's the crunch time if the season and think Edinburgh are flying right now . Tungate scored 9 and 4 from his 2 visits this year he needs to score alot more if the Panthers are to have any chance.

panthers biggest problem is they cant gate , if they manage to gate like they did at Sheffield after the 1st 4 heats it could be a lot closer than people think , I do think the monarchs are to strong tho , but panthers have pulled together all season when its been backs against the wall stuff

Keep it close at the start then there might be a chance if they let Edinburgh get a lead early they don't normally get pegged back . With all that's happened this year to the Panthers they have had a very good season .

KJ’s meeting Preview...

This week's visitors to sunny Armadale are the potentially powerhouse, probably powder puff Peterborough Panthers in the second leg of the PL Play-Off semi-final. It’s all to play for after Sunday’s first leg with the East Anglian Eejits currently holding a slender 2 point lead.

The Panthers used to be the best team in speedway and (I think?) are the only team to achieve back to back titles in different leagues (PL 1998, EL 1999). However, gone are the days of Jason Crump, Flyin’ Ryan Sullivan and, er, Henrik Moller. Nowadays, you never know quite who’s gonna be racing for them from one week to the next. No less than 547 guests have been used this season, partly due to an abundance of injuries but also in no small part due to the foolish signing Robert ‘I’m off to Germany this weekend, seeya’ Lambert.

Fixture arranging has also proved troublesome recently. I can exclusively reveal Friday’s meeting wasn’t on the agenda for Sir Henry Royce’s rascals. Boss man Ged Rathbone takes up the tale of woe...

“I’m not quite sure whose idea it was to have us racing at this time of year. It’s October, it’s cold and dark. Nobody should have to go all the way up to Scotland, especially a place like Edinburgh. They’ve got trams. And that horrible Sturgeon b1tch.

“What’s more, half my team already have other commitments. Emil Grondal was due to compete in the German round of the World U21 Tiddlywinks, Ben Barker was meant to be at Crufts with his family (woof woof) and Simon Lambert had booked a night on the sofa to watch Eastenders. Kathy Beale’s back. And it could well be the night Max Branning gets released from prison so I can see why he wouldn’t want to miss it” (editor’s note – aye, whatever. Next you’ll be telling us Anders Thomsen’s on death’s door again. Cough cough, sniff sniff).

“However, my biggest annoyance was that we had arranged a special night of X Factor auditions. Simon Cowell contacted me recently after hearing of our supporters’ singing exploits. Cancelling that event, plus rearranging the riders’ schedules has cost us millions. Billions even. Do the BSPA care? Of course not. We’re Peterborough speedway, we don’t get any favours from anyone. I’m seething.”

Elsewhere, embarrassed by their lack of TV coverage of this particular competition, Sky TV got in touch this week. None other than ex-Panther and so-called ‘track expert’ Simon Stead gave his opinion…

“Hi KJ. Tie’s, em, in’t meltin’ pot. I, em, ee by gum like, track will be, em, will be brilliant, em, I’m sure.” (ed – really? The last two weeks have been tense but boring)

Just at that moment, in the background, my attention was drawn to a very interesting conversation...

“I tell you Kelvin, I really dislike Edinburgh. I hope Peterborough smash them.”

“I um uh um yeah, I totally agree Nigel.”

I immediately hung up in disgust.

For the 2014 treble winners, it’s a case of ‘back to full strength’ after sunlounger grabber Wolbert received the all clear from the Kraut quacks. Meanwhile, having not quite managed it in Monarchs’ colours on the 7 previous clashes between the two sides, can Craig finally Cook up a maximum against his former employers?

For the Pink ones, it’s a chance to prove their August victory in the West Lothian wastelands was no fluke. However, they don’t appear to have done themselves any favours, replacing the PLRC Champion with a nondescript Kangaroo.

This week's big welcome goes to: special mention to Anders Thomsen, a rider I wanted us to sign in the winter before we ended up with Erik Riss. However, this one’s going to a rider who’s not the most popular amongst the Monarchs’ hordes – the one and only Ben Barker. I’ve always thought he was a good rider. Sue me.

This week's 'popular yer baws!' award goes to: it’s a pity awkward Ostergaard isn’t fit, he would’ve been a guaranteed winner. However, as one door closes, another opens – Rogue Turnright gets this one. At least he’s now won something this year...

The Florenshafisztof Kaspitzanwinkelhoppen award for suave name of the week goes to: plenty of choice this week but I have to go for Michael Palm Toft. I always remember when THJ rode for us and Scunthorpe omitted the ‘H’ from their programme racecard. When I asked as to why, I was informed they didn’t think it was overly important. I’ll let you guess what happened when MPT signed for them!

This week’s big questions: Will Grondal make Emil of things? Will Monarchs end Friday Justin front? And, er, why can’t I think of any more big questions?

er, roll on Friday…

KJ's prediction: 37-35 (abandoned after 12 heats)

Monarchs to be eliminated, courtesy of having scored 1 fewer 5-1 (but 2 more 4-2’s) over the course of both legs. Don’t you just love the rulebook?

• Like 5