British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh The Final 16th/17th October @7.30pm/7.00pm

About 15 years ago it would have impacted attendance, probably at both tracks, now though, I would seriously doubt it, you would be talking a handful of fans at best.

I would assume the bigger worry is the attraction of Glasgow to riders rather than fans.

• Like 3

I would like to know how many Monarchs FANS genuinely think Tigers running on the same night would affect attendances at Armadale.IMO the Tigers promotion have a point,but do feel the last couple of paragraphs in the "Letter" are a little petty and unprofessional.

I stand with a Glasgow fan who is a season ticket holder at both venues, and there are usually a few other Glasgow fans in our group on nights when Glasgow are not the visitors. So it would definitely affect attendances but by how many is difficult to say. At a guess I would say 25 to 30.

If Glasgow were to go Elite (not beyond the realms of possibility) then, in addition to these 25 to 30, a further number of more neutral speedway fans might be tempted west to see the top stars in action.

I understand that the Glasgow owners have done their research and think they can maximise their attendances by running on a Friday night - so that's what they want to do.

I also understand that Edinburgh don't want to lose even 30 people attending on a Friday night - so they are opposed to this happening.

As things stand there appears to be a rule that allows them to object to this, so naturally that is what they are going to do. And, although I'm not party to any conversations between them, I am surprised that the Glasgow owners were (hugely) surprised that this would be Edinburgh's stance.

The problem with 'the letter' is that the Glasgow owners basically call the Edinburgh promotion liars and say they do not believe the reasons given for opposing the move. Instead they conclude that "the Monarchs are seeking to hinder our financial income, restrict our fan base growth and limit our ability to sign top riders who race abroad on a Sunday". Wow, that's some conclusion to jump to when all they've said is they don't want you to race on the same night as them.

The Glasgow owners then compound this by going on to say they "feel compelled to announce that we will no longer be attending meetings at Armadale, as we don't want to help fund Edinburgh with one penny of our money now that it is clear they have decided to affect our income and growth."

This comes across to me as childish, petulant and highly unprofessional. The timing of the message being issued also seemed to be deliberately trying to affect the attendance of Glasgow supporters at Armadale on the Saturday night (having already banked the admission money of the large Edinburgh contingent at Ashfield). This must surely have put a dampener on Glasgow fans excitement at being in the middle of a huge Premier League play-off with their local rivals. Unsure, if by going to support their team in their biggest match for decades, they might be displeasing the owners.

I have been hugely impressed by what has happened at Glasgow since the Facenna brothers took over and a lot of goodwill towards Glasgow has been built up over that period. Some of that has been lost by the issuing of this message and I hope it's not too late for them to apologise for some of their comments and sort out the issue in an adult way by discussion with the Edinburgh promotion and going through whatever process is necessary with the BSPA.

• Like 6

I would like to know how many Monarchs FANS genuinely think Tigers running on the same night would affect attendances at Armadale.IMO the Tigers promotion have a point,but do feel the last couple of paragraphs in the "Letter" are a little petty and unprofessional.

I seriously doubt the attendance is the issue. Plus there is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday to use.

Edited by Dekker

I seriously doubt the attendance is the issue. Plus there is Monday, Thusday, Wednesday & Thursday to use.

Yeah,there's probably a lot more too it than we know.

I seriously doubt the attendance is the issue. Plus there is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday to use.

The letter does mention attracting riders who're in Poland on Sundays.

The letter does mention attracting riders who're in Poland on Sundays.

Undoubtedly true, however at the end of the day Friday is taken. Mondays have worked fine for clubs and in Glasgow's case would give them a clear run at just about any rider not with Wolves or BV. While Thursday is also a common day up and down the league.

Edited by Dekker

Undoubtedly true, however at the end of the day Friday is taken. Mondays have worked fine for clubs and in Glasgow's case would give them a clear run at just about any rider not with Wolves or BV. While Thursday is also a common day up and down the league.

Friday is not taken - for example Scunthorpe Scorpions have dropped their Friday slot and moved to a Sunday. There is one less club in the PL running on a Friday next year as it is. So makes sense for another team to race on a Friday.

Also Edinburgh is 46 miles from glasgow. It's surely absurd that we are adversely affected because they have moved their track to a location far nearer Glasgow. As I remember we've already been good enough to let them race on a Friday as they are renting these premises. Good luck to Edinburgh, but I hope the BSPA see sense and let us race on a Friday.

FFS - Football manages to accomodate same day matches between teams in close proximity why should speedway promotions be any different?

Thats like Rye House objecting to Lakeside riding on a saturday and viceversa - just get out there and promote and you may find that with a little hard work attendances start to increase...

• Like 2

I see Lettergate is still going strong

• Like 4

FFS - Football manages to accomodate same day matches between teams in close proximity why should speedway promotions be any different?

Thats like Rye House objecting to Lakeside riding on a saturday and viceversa - just get out there and promote and you may find that with a little hard work attendances start to increase...

You ever seen Rangers and Celtic play at home on the same day?

My gripe is the timing of the letter. The AGM was the place to take it and deal with it professionally :nono:

What should've been a showpiece final between the TWO SCOTTISH TEAMS and something to be very proud of, has been blighted. We should be talking about the SPEEDWAY at both tracks instead of all these pages of bickering and it is sad that we couldn't all shake hands at the end, wish each other a good winter and hope to see everyone next year :cheers:

I am very happy (and aye, a wee bit smug) that we won and send commiserations to Glasgow and best wishes to Aaron and Robert :t:

I would like to apologise for the Edinburgh fans who displayed foul mouthed, bad behaviour but I won't as they should be doing that for themselves. I am very sorry it happened tho'..... NO place for that!!! :nono:

• Like 9

Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train........

Your talking fifty odd thousand fans there though.

All we need is a lollipop man to get the two old guys and their dugs across the road after the meeting.

That's only for policing reasons. Celtic and Partick Thistle are playing at home on the same day constantly, next on the 31st October.

Edited by damosuzuki

I see Lettergate is still going strong

You will notice that the Berwick thread has reponded to the challenge for bickering rights.!!!!!!
  • Like 2