British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh The Final 16th/17th October @7.30pm/7.00pm

They play in the same city that's the difference, I don't even think one would play away at Partick Thistle if the other was at home.

Scotchopper, how old does a rule have to be to be an old or new rule? The "old" rule was 50 miles, that's why Edinburgh had to get an agreement by Glasgow to run on Fridays as it was within 50 miles.

What I meant was it was not something new introduced recently or in the Harkess Chairman era, main point is that Edinburgh didn't make the rule. Be angry with the rule and try to change the rule would be a better way of approaching the situation than throw the toys out the pram.

Actually given the world is a much smaller place these days (more cars on the road better public transport) it should be made a bigger distance ;-) (That was a joke btw) I fully understand why Glasgow want to change and will respect any decision that comes out the AGM if it is other clubs that vote on it, it is a democracy. Edinburgh wouldn't be doing their job right if they didn't try to protect their interest.

I am glad to see there are a few tigers fans admitting that the letter was badly worded and incredibly badly timed. In terms of the question of whether running on the same night would make a big difference I don't know the answer but I certainly don't think it would have a positive effect on Edinburgh. The club have done a number of things to improve the situation they were in last year and I think they are in a much better position now. But the fight to ensure that continues for the next 50 years continues and losing 20+ (guess) Glasgow fans every week might not break the bank but it won't help.

The timing of the letter was as good as it could have been. Glasgow could have handed it out at the beginning of the meeting or even printed it in the match programme. It was after all our last time at Ashfield until March. The only other alternative was to publish it on the club website at some point.

The nature of the letter or more appropriately information leaflet being printed and not being in the programme suggests that it all unfolded immediately before Fridays meeting. Perhaps an agreement had been reached that was then reneged on. The tone of the letter suggests frustration with the whole situation. I doubt anyone would resort to putting it in the public domain at the first instance of difficulty.

The other side of this is that Edinburgh have the right to reply. They are not slow in coming forward when they perceive they have been wronged or another party has not acted with the integrity they see themselves as having. To date they have made no comment. That may be due to the promoters AGM taking place or that the directors have yet to discuss this latest situation, or just maybe the Glasgow information leaflet hit the nail on the head and no one is available for comment. Imagine the Edinburgh PRO remaining silent!

Edited by MD
  • Like 2

Should Friday/Sunday gate not be on another thread? Having to trawl through all these posts hoping to read about the actual Matches.

Just saying ....."

Fair call.

Shame there has been so little about the matches.

The other thing about the timing is it looks like the play off final was agreed after Edinburgh were told the plan but they then waited until the final was organised to let glasgow know they were objecting. Ie make sure we commit to the weekend that suits them.

The timing of the letter was as good as it could have been. Glasgow could have handed it out at the beginning of the meeting or even printed it in the match programme. It was after all our last time at Ashfield until March. The only other alternative was to publish it on the club website at some point.

The nature of the letter or more appropriately information leaflet being printed and not being in the programme suggests that it all unfolded immediately before Fridays meeting. Perhaps an agreement had been reached that was then reneged on. The tone of the letter suggests frustration with the whole situation. I doubt anyone would resort to putting it in the public domain at the first instance of difficulty.

The other side of this is that Edinburgh have the right to reply. They are not slow in coming forward when they perceive they have been wronged or another party has not acted with the integrity they see themselves as having. To date they have made no comment. That may be due to the promoters AGM taking place or that the directors have yet to discuss this latest situation, or just maybe the Glasgow information leaflet hit the nail on the head and no one is available for comment. Imagine the Edinburgh PRO remaining silent!

They've had to be taken to a safe house for fear of waking and finding a Horses head in their bed (or even worse Ed the Monarchs napper) lol..that's what happens when apparently 'you've upset the Mobs plans for World Domination' .. :P

• Like 1

damosuzuki, on 19 Oct 2015 - 4:27 PM, said:

Also Edinburgh is 46 miles from glasgow. It's surely absurd that we are adversely affected because they have moved their track to a location far nearer Glasgow. As I remember we've already been good enough to let them race on a Friday as they are renting these premises. Good luck to Edinburgh, but I hope the BSPA see sense and let us race on a Friday.

Whilst I say again my main problem with the letter is the aggressive attitude and the push to boycott edinburgh, I think that is unnacceptable full stop and eide67 has hit the nail on the head.

This is another part of the issue from an Edinburgh perspective, we atre not in edinburgh and have a much smaller catchment area than Glasgow. Despite being named Edinburgh it is very difficult to attract people from Edinburgh because of our location so our potential to increase supporters is more limited. Therefore (I am sure with regret) Monarchs are trying to protect what they do have as much as possible by objecting to this move as a small reduction will have a bigger impact on them at the moment. Not so long ago Tigers were really struggling with attendances and its great to see them turn it around, they are now at the stage of trying to keep that and build on it but don't step on your neighbours to do it.

There is no need for Edinburgh and Glasgow to compete against each other when they can complement each other, e.g. Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday/Sunday with Berwick, there are already far too many other things for speedway to compete against these days. Glasgow own their own stadium and can race any night they like so why pick the same night as your nearest rival. Glasgow will also lose their priority and end up with a number of off race night meetings. They are not just competing for fans, but potentially guest riders, rerun dates, pit staff, mechanics, volunteers, medical staff, etc I know most of these are separate but it wouldn't be the first time someone has done the same role at both tracks, e.g. Michael Max filled in earlier in the season when Scott Wilson and John McGillvaray were missing and Rob McNeill spannered for both Sam and Dmitri earlier in the season.

There is no apparently about it there is a Rule, Edinburgh didn't introduce it and it is not a new rule. I don't know what the process is but I guess it will ultimately come down to a vote from the other clubs in the division, Scunny moving to Sunday does work in the Tigers favour so it could go either way. Not sure if other teams will appreciate travelling to Scotland twice on a Friday and fans will not be happy losing the northern tour but you just never know.

Edinburgh are already working hard off the track to try to improve the attendance and will continue to do so no matter the outcome of this, their promotion have 30 years experience and have had many challenges along the road but they continue to work really hard to make it work. It has been an amazing season and I am very happy to see them announced for next season today.

At the end of the day, no one could compete with us on the track this season and that is all that should matter today. Come on the Monarchs!

Great post. I hadn't considered the battle for more than just fans; guests, mechanics etc but it is a fair point.

The other thing about the timing is it looks like the play off final was agreed after Edinburgh were told the plan but they then waited until the final was organised to let glasgow know they were objecting. Ie make sure we commit to the weekend that suits them.

Why on earth would they do otherwise?

• Like 2

There would not have been an agreement as Edinburgh were never going to agree to it, only a very naive person would have thought that it. Whether you agree with them, thing they are being childish, genuinely think they are trying to hurt Glasgow (bonkers) or otherwise it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. The new Glasgow owners are not naive so as far as I am concerned this has been put out to try and bully and force the situation.

I am sure Edinburgh will reply when they have something substantial and worthwhile to contribute and when the dust settles. Instead got on with celebrating the title, an unbelievable achievement of back to back titles (including the league cup) and their fifth in total. Given the average rules of British speedway this should be admired instead of all this rubbish.

I am glad that they have taken the time to try to resolve the situation in the appropriate channels and not just become emboiled a bit in a twit for tat argument in the public domain. Which reminds me that is exactloy what I am doing so I will try to but out.

Apologies to all for filling up the thread, I can ensure you it was a fantastic weekend of top Scottish speedway and I hope there are manhy more to come, with the same result!

• Like 2

Nobody told me anything. But that's the timescale from reading the letter. Ie they spoke a couple of weeks ago but found out about the objection during the week before the final. Anyway I was meant to be giving it a rest.it's not a massive deal.

Who cares what Glasgow think. wee team with a wee team mentality. We will continue to do our thing and that's win trophies. Mon the monarchs! :t:

• Like 1

That's only for policing reasons. Celtic and Partick Thistle are playing at home on the same day constantly, next on the 31st October.

Are you seriously suggesting that there are Old Firm fans who are so biased they would not go to support their rivals on a quiet night?? I'm shocked!!

You got that one spot on..could have been penned in Possil.Usual guff i'm afraid ..it seems that a fair percentage of the West Coast lot are trying to paint the Monarchs as bullies in all this..laughable!That letter handed out on friday is a pure spit oot the dummy moment.The Glasgow Nostra Promotion have done wonderful things to the new improved Slashfield stadium and must be applauded for that...but it seems they've not learned from previous promotions stunts..June 2010 for example..This blatant mass pisstake quite rightly scunnered many Monarchs fans like myself who previously were more than happy to attend Ashfield.Not only that it ripped the pish out of their their own supporters..But no instead of trying to mend fences with us and herald 'a new beginning for Scottish speedway' it appears they've declared war..oh dear.. From what i understand an offer was made to discuss this whole matter after the dust had settled on the Grand Final..but no they had to pre-empt that and hand out this piece of crap.. I hope things can be worked out but the way things have gone so far i won't hold my breath!Anyways..who won the Grand Final????Oh aye it was the men in Blue & Gold :party::drink: What a night and what a fantastic achievement by the Mighty Monarchs to win back to back to back titles..to say i feel proud would be an understatement!The best team over the season won thankfully.5 (yes 5 ) titles in 12 years is fantastic,especially when you sadly have to dismantle your winning team..big respect to our promotion and everyone involved behind the scene to achieve this without having the dosh of say..the Possil Park Galacticos lol.. ;):approve: However,none of this extra curricular guff coming from the West can take the gloss off this..superb! GIRUYT :D Hope everyone has a fantastic close season..i may pop up from time to time if anything comes of interest during the methanol withdrawal season..have a good one my friends :t:

You say: "Usual guff" in reference to my post. My post made reasoned points and you should not be so ill mannered, discourteous and insulting as to refer to my reasoned points in such manner.

Instead your post as quoted above is full of vitriol and which I find vulgar. It appears you have never heard of the saying "magnanimous in victory". Instead your post is full of derisory insulting language e,g, "Slashfield" and which is rather churlish, uncouth and unbecoming, then going on to be full of self-proclaimed boasting and yob-like behaviour including other juvenile yob-like acronyms as "GIRUYT". What age are you twelve? All rather unseemly and every such post that is made and yob-like proclamation such as your post quoted above devalues the achievement of winning a league title and you lose the respect of others. And it was not at all "spot on" as you errantly put it, you are well wide of the mark and you clearly know nothing about me.

It also appears that you overlook that I originally mentioned a foul-mouthed Edinburgh fan at Armadale on Saturday whose behaviour was aggressive, using foul mouthed language, inciteful and deliberately intimidating to innocent bystanders. I then only answered the points of another poster and which I did in good faith.

If you wish to behave in a juvenile-like and yob-like manner then kindly do not involve me. Thank you.

• Like 2

For those wanting to know about the meetings.

1st Leg -

Paid £20.

Got programme.

Bought scarf, pens, car stickers, mugs, ladies lingerie - in fact anything with leopard skin on it. But not Craig Cook's posing pouch (still in police evidence bag).

Cold night.

Beer.

Parade - Wolbert gets warm welcome - Gripped hands moving up/down at the wrist, booing, etc

Stop/start.

Stop/start.

Stop/start.

Bloomin' freezing now.

Hot chocolate.

Wait for ambulance.

Only six heats done by 9:15.

Went to toilet, butler handing out towels.

Ambulance arrives.

Stop/start.

James Sarjeant - perfect start, Embra fans (200m away) claim he was moving.

Like a bat out of hell leads Craig Cook before he ate dirt.

Glasgow fans roar/laugh/boo/cheer/make visual signs/all of the above.

Speedway meeting broke out during full on, excellent entertainment.

Roary and Roxy got hitched.

Brass monkey spotted crying.

Embra fans/team/promotion/entourage/physios/therapists/freebie hangers on (loads of them)/cleaning ladies/psychologists - complain they can't see anything due to poor lighting - but claim Sarjeant was moving! You decide.

Stevie Wonder seen giving a perfect commentary for the meeting DVD.

End of season awards and speeches.

Letter handed out.

Brass monkey taken away in second ambulance.

2nd Leg -

Paid zilch. Got a lifty over.

Didn't get programme.

Got blue rinse and bob hair cut in attempt to blend in with locals.

Opened first can of carry out sneaked in.

Edinburgh do a professional job.

Ed the Monarch spotted in the distance on the centre field making an attempt to entertain (looking like a desperate man in a toilet queue)

Glasgow didn't turn up.

Saw 4 coloured helmets going past 3rd/4th hairpin bend 51 times. Should have been 60, but there were fallers - want my money back!

James Sarjeant shows he cares - Embra fans saw it as spitting his dummy out.

Craig Cook falls off whilst leading by 3 laps - history made.

Went to toilet, wished I was wearing my wellies.

Wolbert pumps his chest - must be the phlegm.

Some Embra official from the safety of the track gesticulates to Tigers fans for 10 minutes to stop flashing - their cameras Craig - cameras! Put it away.

Glasgow fans pray he forgets to leave track before racing starts. What a sh!tebag!

Ed the Monarch seen running from the dog kennel (sorry, stadium) when rumours spread Walter Palmer (aka Cecil the lion hunter) was in the crowd.

Edinburgh won.

Put out of misery.

Fireworks.

Stevie Wonder complained it was too dark.

Left

Wiped dog poo off shoes (why is there always one at the Armadale entrance?)

Went home.

Cat now at the vets.

Finished carry out.

Made some abusive comments on Facebook.

Cried myself to sleep.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 5

It's just a total anti all things Edinburgh post.

No, my post certainly was not "a total anti all things Edinburgh post". I answered points one by one of another poster and which I did in good faith.

I'm surprised at you Scotsman, your posts are usually of the more intelligent variety on this forum. If you read my post you will see that it sets out reasoned points and that is all it does. If you have anything constructive to actually respond to my points then you are of course welcome.