British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh The Final 16th/17th October @7.30pm/7.00pm

No we should not, an absolutely stunning piece of arrogance. Your promotion kept Edinburgh running, they moved out after a year and Glasgow returned the following season.

Arrogance ? - Rubbish !

It was Scottish Monarchs, not Edinburgh Monarchs btw.

IMO if there was no Scottish team present at league level, it would have been problematic that any would have been later readmitted, given the tepid enthusiasm of certain Southern English teams to travel North of the Border.

I was also eternally grateful to mainly Jimmy Beaton & Co. when alone, they kept Scottish Flag flying between 1970 and 1974 at Hampden & Coatbridge.

I travelled through from Edinburgh as a supporter of Scottish Speedway to most of the home matches at both venues, as well as quite a few at Berwick, and then Paisley in '75 - '76, before Powderhall opened. During that time I also gave my travelling support to Tigers at various away venues, including Eastbourne, Birmingham, Bradford, Cradley, etc.

During 1996 it was apparent that some Tigers supporters rather than attend live speedway in Scotland on their doorstep, pettily boycotted because of the change of team name & colours. It was conveniently forgotten that the demise of Glasgow had nothing to do with the Edinburgh Promotion and that no one else was willing to pay the rent for the use of Shawfield.at that time.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, wasn't there on Saturday - but Friday night was the best atmosphere I've been at Speedway. Sure Saturday was the same. We got beat but these are the good times and we will be talking of them in years to come. I don't mind a bit of arguing right enough, but at the end of the day both sides have had a fantastic year. Which is good for Speedway. Never thought we would win the league and was delighted to be there on Friday night in the surreal atmosphere. Loved it loved it loved it.

Two great nights for Scottish Speedway with great crowds,don't know if it is just me but I find Armadale weird for atmosphere after the races there is plenty of noise on 3/4 bend stand and then in the home strait stand but during a race with everybody cheering it never seems to a buzz in the Stadium.Maybe it is so open on the far side of the Stadium that it does not keep noise In the stadium .( this is just an observation not a criticism )anyone else of the same opinion?

See the i am never wrong Moanarch's do gooder's are out in force today p"ssing myself at some off the higher than mighty stance.

Oh the irony from the holier than thou Tigers spokesman - more like still greetin' to yourself :rofl:

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 1

Well.

If I wasn't hacked off enough with Glasgow's performance on Saturday.

Reading some of the above from the wide-eyed Minions, I'm now even more hacked off tonight.

I've obviously missed out on the quality ganja being served to a few of the BSF Scotwasted Monarchs on Saturday night.

Penny's just dropped!

The Armadale centre field is a ganja farm - hence the poor appearance.

And the bruvvers are funding club survival!

Genius man, pure genius.

Irie!

Two great nights for Scottish Speedway with great crowds,don't know if it is just me but I find Armadale weird for atmosphere after the races there is plenty of noise on 3/4 bend stand and then in the home strait stand but during a race with everybody cheering it never seems to a buzz in the Stadium.Maybe it is so open on the far side of the Stadium that it does not keep noise In the stadium .( this is just an observation not a criticism )anyone else of the same opinion?

That's why I've never really liked greyhound stadiums for speedway tracks. Most of them, like Monmore, Brough Park, Belle Vue are totally empty apart from the home straight. I never think it looks good for TV either and does nothing for atmosphere. Don't know if it's my memory playing tricks with me but was there a stand on the back straight at Brough? Sure I can remember watching a meeting from the back straight when I was young. Anyway, none of them compare to Powderhall. Great stadium, have a lot of good memories coming up there to watch Berwick.

justere2cgoodspeedway in your detailed response in Post # 749, you appear to have neglected to respond to the salient point in red above, which could apply to other forms of commerce (iirc the number and location of enterprises modifying vehicles for use as certain types of taxis is restricted)

Another factor in Speedway is that length of unbroken service (i.e. seniority) confers rewards on those who have continued to operate during the hard times.

You will recall that, amid financial difficulties, Glasgow closed down at the end of 1995, and, instead,the Edinburgh Promotion were the sole organisation which kept Speedway running in Scotland in 1996, for which you should all be eternally grateful.

Therefore when Glasgow returned in 1997, they were effectively a new kid on the block in terms of seniority.

Also in 1997 Edinburgh relocated to Armadale and opted for Friday, as their race night.

Given the reduced distance between Armadale and Glasgow, plus a smaller catchment area as opposed to the centre of Edinburgh, the Monarchs Promotion, as the senior track were entitled to protect their business from any further diminution of their income, within the framework of the protocols of the BSPA.

One final point none of us know how many casual attendees visit both tracks on a Friday or Sunday over the Season, but if both were running on the same day, they could not go to both over a weekend.

Entertaining as always cyclone. I think you mean post #479. You want to try answering the points on that post - which remain unanswered, no doubt because they are indefensible which is why the Edinburgh mob have given it a wide berth.

The reason why the stuff in red wasn't mentioned is because they were rendered redundant and effectively superseded by the points I made in post #479.

The historical agreement and close nearby thing is a load of rubbish. How come the two clubs happily co-existed and both ran on a Friday through the 70's, 80's and 90's. So all that nonsense about close proximity and different night is the biggest load of garbage. Glasgow raced on a Friday night anyway and when Edinburgh were forced to move to Powderhall in the 70's and the only night they could run speedway there was on Fridays (Glasgow's racenight) Glasgow allowed or didn't object to Edinburgh also running on a Friday. So what's the problem now. Answer - none.

Try actually answering the points in my detailed post #479. Bet you can't. :wink:

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 3

Entertaining as always cyclone. I think you mean post #479. You want to try answering the points on that post - which remain unanswered, probably no doubt because they are indefensible which is why the Edinburgh mob have given it a wide berth.

The reason why the stuff in red wasn't mentioned is because they were rendered redundant and effectively superseded by the points I made in post #479.

The historical agreement and close nearby thing is a load of rubbish. How come the two clubs happily co-existed and both ran on a Friday through the 70's, 80's and 90's. So all that nonsense about close proximity and different night is the biggest load of garbage. Glasgow raced on a Friday night anyway and when Edinburgh were forced to move to Powderhall in the 70's and the only night they could run speedway there was on Fridays (Glasgow's racenight) Glasgow allowed or didn't object to Edinburgh also running on a Friday. So what's the problem now. Answer - none.

Try actually answering the points in my detailed post #479. Bet you can't. :wink:

Hope you're in this one for the long haul mate, he never admits he's wrong and will keep coming back until you lose the will to live. ;)
  • Like 2

During 1996 it was apparent that some Tigers supporters rather than attend live speedway in Scotland on their doorstep, pettily boycotted because of the change of team name & colours.

The reason many fans stopped going to Shawfield was because of the guff being spouted from the centre green every week telling us how the racing was better and the track better than when the tigers raced there.

• Like 1

That's why I've never really liked greyhound stadiums for speedway tracks. Most of them, like Monmore, Brough Park, Belle Vue are totally empty apart from the home straight. I never think it looks good for TV either and does nothing for atmosphere. Don't know if it's my memory playing tricks with me but was there a stand on the back straight at Brough? Sure I can remember watching a meeting from the back straight when I was young. Anyway, none of them compare to Powderhall. Great stadium, have a lot of good memories coming up there to watch Berwick.

Yes Brough park did have a stand in the back straight.

Hope you're in this one for the long haul mate, he never admits he's wrong and will keep coming back until you lose the will to live. ;)

Oh don't worry. :wink:

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 1

Why would you want to go on the Glasgow website to see what happened were you not there? , Do you not support Edinburgh?.

Then why on earth would you want to go on another team's website to see a match report or are you just being an erse.

I think you are being and erse personally.

See the i am never wrong Moanarch's do gooder's are out in force today p"ssing myself at some off the higher than mighty stance.

Just want to hear your team and managements opinion on the meeting from their perspective. Or is that not allowed?

• Like 2

Entertaining as always cyclone. I think you mean post #479. You want to try answering the points on that post - which remain unanswered, no doubt because they are indefensible which is why the Edinburgh mob have given it a wide berth.

Nice try to duck the specific point which had invalidated your false premises.

The only rubbish appears to be in your head as it's obviously cluttering your brain from comprehending that you are contradicting yourself.

Re-read and explain precisely why the close proximity of the two tracks is not a relevant factor.

You refer to "The historical agreement and close nearby thing is a load of rubbish" (why - explain but briefly please instead of the usual lengthy waffle) and then you try to justify your pov by referring to situation "through the 70's, 80's and 90's" (earlier history btw :wink:).

To explain to you succinctly, this is 2015, the Monarchs race at Armadale Stadium, Armadale, West Lothian, the distance between Armadale and Ashfield less than 30 miles. As such, the Monarchs, being the senior Promotion, are within their rights to object to Glasgow's application to run on the same race day (i.e Fridays).

I apologise in advance for adopting the less than polite terms used by yourself (rubbish, garbage) but I did refrain from referring to you as one of the Glasgow mob :P

The reason many fans stopped going to Shawfield was because of the guff being spouted from the centre green every week telling us how the racing was better and the track better than when the tigers raced there.

I'll take your word for this as tbh, I do not remember this - who was the individual "spouting" this - Dick Barrie or a young Michael Max ?? - was he a regular at Shawfield during the previous season?

Personally I never pay much attention to the centre green presenters but if I found his comments to be really offensive, I would complain to the Promotion before considering my next move.

Did anyone raise the issue directly before withdrawing their custom ?

Thanks for the tip - I'll try my best :D

Edited by cyclone

Glasgow's original chosen race night was in fact a Wednesday. They switched to Fridays when they re-opened at White City in 1964 and retained that through to the end of 1989. They staged just 10 further Friday meetings, 5 of which were in 1990. 18th July 1997 was the last time Glasgow ran on a Friday until last weekend.

Edinburgh plumped for Saturdays from the off, a night they kept hold of until their demise at the end of the 1969 season. They went for Fridays when they re-opened at Powderhall in 1977, and apart from a flirtation with Sunday nights during 1990 they have remained with Fridays.

From 1977 to 1989, when both clubs were Friday nighters, 306 of the 654 matches, representing 46.8%, were staged without any clash. 348 matches went ahead in direct opposition to each other, that's 174 matches at each track for the arithmetically challenged.

From what I can tell, the last time both clubs ran on the same day was Sunday 14th July 2002, however I haven't been able to ascertain whether they ran at the same time. Glasgow raced Workington with a 6pm start and while Somerset visited Armadale the programme cover doesn't indicate a start time. If there was no clash, then that Friday 18th July 1997 date is the last time both teams ran in direct opposition as Tigers faced Newport and Monarchs squared up to Exeter.

A breakdown of meetings staged by venue can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsxrrldxz7tal8t/Glas%26EdinRaceNights.pdf?dl=0 and while some of the figures from the early years may be a bit skewiff they're close enough to get the overall impression. Monarchs 1996 sojourn at Shawfield is not included in these figures and neither is Tigers aborted 1987 season.

A return to Friday night racing would actually appeal to me as Sundays have long since been off the radar. However I am slightly baffled as to where the supposed groundswell of support for this has come from. The only conclusion I can reach is that the majority of Ashfield attendees have been watching the Tigers for more than a quarter of a century and fondly recall when Friday night racing was de rigueur. I sincerely hope that the promotion have indeed done their research as implied in the end-of-season letter, otherwise they are, in my opinion, taking one hell of a gamble in abandoning a raceday/night that has served Glasgow, if not me personally, well for nigh on 25 years.

• Like 4

Wasn't even Phil Lanning who wrote it.

Sounds like you are running out of steam now Gazc.

Best get back to bbc Alba - there's a game on!

Not at all alway's enjoy myself on here.

A return to Friday night racing would actually appeal to me as Sundays have long since been off the radar. However I am slightly baffled as to where the supposed groundswell of support for this has come from. The only conclusion I can reach is that the majority of Ashfield attendees have been watching the Tigers for more than a quarter of a century and fondly recall when Friday night racing was de rigueur. I sincerely hope that the promotion have indeed done their research as implied in the end-of-season letter, otherwise they are, in my opinion, taking one hell of a gamble in abandoning a raceday/night that has served Glasgow, if not me personally, well for nigh on 25 years.

My thoughts exactly. Friday's are are one hell of a gamble if not researched fully.

• Like 2