British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Printing Errors Issue 70

Has anyone got the same problems as me with the new issue?

Pages 1 & 2 are overlaid on pages 6 & 7 making the Louis article almost impossible to read.

The Briggo article on pages 46 & 47 is overlaid on pages 42 & 43 rendering the Scottish item difficult to read.

Has anyone got the same problems as me with the new issue?

Pages 1 & 2 are overlaid on pages 6 & 7 making the Louis article almost impossible to read.

The Briggo article on pages 46 & 47 is overlaid on pages 42 & 43 rendering the Scottish item difficult to read.

Get in touch and I'm sure they will post another copy to you.

• Like 2

Mines fine apart from the postman dropping it in a puddle!!

• Like 1

Must be just my copy then, not to worry...

Mine's fine too. Just contact Tony at Retro-Speedway. I am sure he will look after you and sort out your problem. :t:

Ok everyone, cheers

Sorry to hear about that - you're the first, and so far only, reader to mention a printing error. An obvious glitch.

As others on here have quite rightly and sensibly pointed out, if you had contacted us directly, either by phone or email (both printed in the mag on p2) to alert us to what seems an isolated problem, we would have resolved the matter IMMEDIATELY by posting you a good replacement copy.

Contact details: Phone 01708 734 502 Email: subs@retro-speedway.com

Why on earth would you want to post this matter on a public forum, highlight the issue by starting a new thread, and possibly cause needless negative publicity, when anyone who knows us will hopefully agree that Susie and I are responsive and always do our best to be helpful to all customers? I know I'm overly sensitive at times but when you work as hard as we do to try and get it right and provide a good service, it's a hit galling to log on and see that thread title staring me in the face.

As you can see, I've posted our contact details above, so if you would like a correctly printed issue sent to you, please get in touch direct. Believe it or not, I don't have the time or inclination to spend 24/7 scouring the BSF to find out if any of our readers might have a rare, badly printed issue!

Edited by tmc
  • Like 4

Why on earth would you want to post this matter on a public forum, highlight the issue by starting a new thread, and possibly cause needless negative publicity, when anyone who knows us will hopefully agree that Susie and I are responsive and always do our best to be helpful to all customers? I know I'm overly sensitive at times but when you work as hard as we do to try and get it right and provide a good service, it's a hit galling to log on and see that thread title staring me in the face.

I think you are being a bit sensitive. It might have been a wider printing error, in which case there probably isn't much that can be done.

These things happen and I'm sure most people subscribing to something like Backtrack won't stop buying it because they're read of a random printing problem.

I have a similar problem trying to read the electronic version of the Speedway Star on an iPhone as it just hangs without loading (although it has worked in the past). It's perfectly reasonable to publicly ask whether other people have the same problem as it might just be my device, or the version of the operating system I'm running. I don't hold that against Pinegen who are most likely blameless (at least for that).

Bottom line though, is that paying customers are entitled to post what they like about a product on a forum, and there's plenty of positive stuff about Backtrack on here to balance any perceived criticism up.

• Like 2

TMC - please believe me, the very last thing on my mind was to present some negative agenda.

I have bought every single issue of Backtrack from issue 1, so I am not on some anti-Backtrack crusade - in fact quite the opposite.

I don’t necessarily keep every issue of the mag and the odd ones I don’t keep I have always made a point of surreptitiously dropping with the other mags in the doctors or hairdressers in a very limited but optimistic attempt at spreading the speedway word.

I honestly expected there to be flood of readers experiencing the same thing with their issues because a bad glitch occurring on a single issue on a print run of few thousand(?) is unusual I would have thought.

I was merely flagging up a potential problem which presumably could have caused you a bit of a headache had multiple copies carried the same fault as mine.

As Humphrey Appleby alludes to, pointing out printing errors is hardly a criticism of the magazine.

I will keep my copy of the magazine as only four pages are affected.

It goes without saying that you work hard TMC - that’s evident by the quality of both mags but I do feel there’s been a bit of overreaction here.

Nonetheless, future subscriptions from me are safe!

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

TMC - please believe me, the very last thing on my mind was to present some negative agenda.

I have bought every single issue of Backtrack from issue 1, so I am not on some anti-Backtrack crusade - in fact quite the opposite.

I don’t necessarily keep every issue of the mag and the odd ones I don’t keep I have always made a point of surreptitiously dropping with the other mags in the doctors or hairdressers in a very limited but optimistic attempt at spreading the speedway word.

I honestly expected there to be flood of readers experiencing the same thing with their issues because a bad glitch occurring on a single issue on a print run of few thousand(?) is unusual I would have thought.

I was merely flagging up a potential problem which presumably could have caused you a bit of a headache had multiple copies carried the same fault as mine.

As Humphrey Appleby alludes to, pointing out printing errors is hardly a criticism of the magazine.

I will keep my copy of the magazine as only four pages are affected.

It goes without saying that you work hard TMC - that’s evident by the quality of both mags but I do feel there’s been a bit of overreaction here.

Nonetheless, future subscriptions from me are safe!

Keep up the good work.

Many thanks for your response and for helping to spread the word about Backtrack and speedway in general.

You and Humphrey are both right - I overreacted and know I am often too sensitive to perceived criticism of our products. I apologise for that.

It was the somewhat alarmist thread title that made me choke on my Weetabix! In this instance, I am certain your concern about the printing was genuine and you meant no harm by posting what you did . . . but it's amazing how many people read something that most of us would consider innocuous and the next thing you know, it's: "I see Backtrack can't even get their printing right", and people who don't have minds of their own can be so judgemental. They don't think it must be an isolated problem, they assume it's widespread, when it isn't. It's like those who read some rubbish speculation in a tabloid and assume it to be fact.

If your comment about the printing had been tagged on the end of a more general comment about the content of the mag, even a criticism of something you had read, I would hardly have batted an eyelid and just asked you to contact us so that we can send you a replacement.

And that offer still stands, by the way.

If anyone receives a badly printed issue in the future, just please call us and we'll sort it immediately.

• Like 5

Point taken about the ‘alarmist’ headline but truthfully not for a moment did I perceive it as having adverse connotations.

Printing mistakes turn up in high profile, million seller titles occasionally.

Years ago I worked (part-time) in the print trade and overlay/print errors of the kind that occurred to my copy of BT would usually be replicated, which is why I’m surprised by my lone, rogue copy.

I think I will change my mind and ask you to kindly send a replacement copy.

Will be in touch shortly.

Cheers

• Like 1