British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Brummies 2016

First and foremost. Get well Danyon and don't come back until you are ready. Follow the advice of your doctors.

Secondly.

Play offs stink! The best team in the league could well end up losing the title down to this even after slaughtering the rest of the league over a season. I think if we have to go with guest and R/R (Which is our only option.) we lose to Eastbourne. (Maybe Kent.)

Words fail me once again other than to say. I think I have had enough of this sport.

I think I am still (just) in the top of the league wins the league camp. However, speedway just isn't in a position to turn down the gates that the play offs create.

Last night at Ipswich there was a huge crowd for what would have been a dead rubber other than for the play offs. In all of the semi-finals and finals in all of the leagues, stadiums will report increased attendances and there's every chance that in the EL in particular they will be packed. In addition, in the PL & NL Birmingham and Somerset had won their divisions some time ago, leaving a considerable number of meetings with absolutely nothing to play for.

I very much see your point here, but the sport is in poor shape financially and simply can't overlook any source of additional revenue.

• Like 3

First and foremost. Get well Danyon and don't come back until you are ready. Follow the advice of your doctors.

Secondly.

Play offs stink! The best team in the league could well end up losing the title down to this even after slaughtering the rest of the league over a season. I think if we have to go with guest and R/R (Which is our only option.) we lose to Eastbourne. (Maybe Kent.)

Words fail me once again other than to say. I think I have had enough of this sport.

Could not agree more. And that's from an Eastbourne fan.

I get them, I understand them but I hate them.

Eastbourne lost to Wolves in the first playoff final after winning the league. The aftermath of the race when Wolves took it was the worst I have ever felt at a speedway match.

Yes, I want Eastbourne to win the play offs. Yes, I want to beat Birmingham in the final but just a little part of me will wish we had topped the league.

At least we dont have the double point tactical rule as well.

• Like 1

I was there in 2002 as well, absolutely hated it, still hope we ( Eastbourne ) can win the playoffs, may erase that night a bit, but I would feel sorry for the Brummie fans.

I think I am still (just) in the top of the league wins the league camp. However, speedway just isn't in a position to turn down the gates that the play offs create.

It does seem ironic that a team that at the moment has won 30 meetings, drawn one and lost just one, which by the time of the finals will probably have gone on to win 36 meetings could have their season undone completely by two more losses at the Arlington 50p piece.

HOWEVER this sport is about excitement, suspense, intreague and drama too...isn't it? Or shouldn't it be?

Edited by uk martin
  • Like 1

It does seem ironic that a team that at the moment has won 30 meetings, drawn one and lost just one, which by the time of the finals will probably have gone on to win 36 meetings could have their season undone completely by two more losses at the Arlington 50p piece.

HOWEVER this sport is about excitement, suspense, intreague and drama too...isn't it? Or shouldn't it be?

Of course. But its most likely to be about home track advantage.

I understand the argument about bums on seats and not turning down extra revenue.

However, as a counter argument, hasn't the sport in this country been on a steady decline for decades now? And isn't one of the reasons put forward for that by fans that this is down to percieved 'mickey mouse' regulations and running of this once proud sport. Isn't the play offs another example of that?

For me if you are going to have play offs then those play offs should be on a level and neutral playing field as in most other sports that tread this path. I also wonder if the lack of support for the KOC is in some way down to the league effectively being a KOC.

• Like 1

Of course. But its most likely to be about home track advantage.

I understand the argument about bums on seats and not turning down extra revenue.

However, as a counter argument, hasn't the sport in this country been on a steady decline for decades now? And isn't one of the reasons put forward for that by fans that this is down to percieved 'mickey mouse' regulations and running of this once proud sport. Isn't the play offs another example of that?

For me if you are going to have play offs then those play offs should be on a level and neutral playing field as in most other sports that tread this path. I also wonder if the lack of support for the KOC is in some way down to the league effectively being a KOC.

Lakeside last night had a good attendance for what would otherwise have been a dead rubber. They will have another very good one next week.

I shudder to think what Plymouth's will be tonight.

I do take what you say, but speedway must take every step to ensure that it makes as much revenue as it can. The loss of income without the play offs would be considerable.

Its perhaps why there are few sports that don't have them.

• Like 1

Don't know who has the choice to have home or away first, although would think it would be Birmingham. If Eastbourne get to the final, the thing for Birmingham to do must be to ride at home first and build up an advantage, Eastbourne still aren't the best away. Easier to defend a lead than claw it back. Even though I disagree with the playoffs if Eastbourne do run it close away they will probably win the title at Arlington . The league results home and away would have given it to Eastbourne by a point, shows how close it's likely to be.

Edited by gazzac

I was there in 2002 and the play-offs were a novelty at the time and I felt as though a real injustice had taken place when Wolves won...but do you remember the size of the crowd?! And it was a terrific occasion... they're here to stay...The EL is worse with GP riders coming in at the last minute..

Don't know who has the choice to have home or away first, although would think it would be Birmingham. If Eastbourne get to the final, the thing for Birmingham to do must be to ride at home first and build up an advantage, Eastbourne still aren't the best away. Easier to defend a lead than claw it back. Even though I disagree with the playoffs if Eastbourne do run it close away they will probably win the title at Arlington . The league results home and away would have given it to Eastbourne by a point, shows how close it's likely to be.

An interesting point you make about who has the choice of 'home' leg first The Brummies it seems prefer to have the 'home leg' first, as they have done that against Kent in both the National Trophy Final and the KOC, as you say it appears easier to defend a lead than pull it back as the Brummies did in their matches against Kent. Their is no certainty of a Eastbourne versus Birmingham play off final, both teams still have a lot of work to reach that stage. The Eagles vs Brummies KOC should be a classic, if the Eagles reach the final.Now how does Eastbourne 46-43 Brummies, Brummies 47-43 Eastbourne, give the Eagles the advantage in previous NL matches?

... Their is no certainty of a Eastbourne versus Birmingham play off final,...

After the away win by Eastbourne at Kent, I'd say it was as certain as night following day. Eastbourne would have to have a bigger give-away than 12 months worth of DFS sofa sales for Kent to overcome thier deficit.

• Like 1

Brummies rider Tom Bacon is due to guest for Cradley at Eastbourne on Saturday in the second leg of the KOC Semi-Final, maybe useful practise for the following Sunday when the Brummies race there in the first leg of the play-off final.

It'd be interesting to know what date Eastbourne proposes for their leg of the KO Cup final. is the season going to drag on til the 30th October, and what if that day is washed out?

Best fill the fuel tanks of your cars up now before the impact of the post-Brexit currency collapse shoves the price of fuel up much higher than it is already...there's a lot of miles to be covered this month for the committed.

It'd be interesting to know what date Eastbourne proposes for their leg of the KO Cup final. is the season going to drag on til the 30th October, and what if that day is washed out?

Best fill the fuel tanks of your cars up now before the impact of the post-Brexit currency collapse shoves the price of fuel up much higher than it is already...there's a lot of miles to be covered this month for the committed.

according to non speedway fans we should all be committed :D

• Like 1