Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whistlegang

Kent 2016

In the County Fours in October Verge scored 7pts:

Heat 3: Finished 3rd ahead of Danny Phillips who retired

Heat 5: Won, ahead of Shaun Tedham, after Georgie Wood had retired whilst in the lead (Jack Thomas DNS)

Heat 9: Finished 2nd ahead of Chris Wildman (3 Riders Only)

Heat 16: Finished 3rd, passing Chris Wildman who susequently retired.

He looked very fast. Beaten only by Morley, BWD, Andrews (twice) and Shanes.

The fact that was by far his best performance of the season speaks volumes

He scored the same as Shanes and Mountain. He is worth one more chance and I can see Mason getting the best out of him. Rather him than Couzins or Shepherd.

Edited by whistlegang
  • Like 1

He looked very fast. Beaten only by Morley, BWD, Andrews (twice) and Shanes.

He scored the same as Shanes and Mountain. He is worth one more chance and I can see Mason getting the best out of him. Rather him than Couzins or Shepherd.

You can "dress it up" that way but the other way of looking at it is that he only finished ahead of Widman and Tedham all night, and that is on his home track.

He wouldn't have scored that many if there were not so many retirements in his races, and to compare him to Shanes? probably one of his worst performances over the season.

I'd rather of had Basford back then any of the other 3

• Like 4

You can "dress it up" that way but the other way of looking at it is that he only finished ahead of Widman and Tedham all night, and that is on his home track.

He wouldn't have scored that many if there were not so many retirements in his races, and to compare him to Shanes? probably one of his worst performances over the season.

Trust me, i'm not a fan of Verge, but he is worth one more shot. The amount of times he threw away points after he had gated so well was infuriating.

Were you at that the 4TT?

Basford spent more time on the centre green last season.

I wasn't at the meeting but saw enough of Verge last season to know he won't progress much further than where he is now, similar to Shepherd and Couzins

Shame, as he is a local lad, but there are plenty of young lads out there looking for a chance to impress and I believe he is taking the spot away from one of them, but no doubt if they are any good they will sign for Eastbourne over Kent anyway. :lol:

Agreed. Basford was the only one who showed any sign of improvement but I never expected him back due to the traveling distance. Would have preferred to see another newbie given a decent run in the side & perhaps a senior team member issued as a buddy (much like Simon Lambert was to Danny Ayres in his first year)

Bowen is a cracking signing, as it stands you have a better rider than Morley on a cheaper average.

Mason has had his day and his availability is generally poor, using R/R for him isn't going to be pretty, especially if the reserves don't cut the mustard.

Verge just hasn't got anything about him, should have tried to get Clifton at reserve for the start of the season really.

• Like 4

Danno led a number of good riders (including and most memorably Ellis Perks) for three and a half laps plus at CP last year but failed to hold on over the last two bends.

I believe we've heard an explanation for that and Danno has gone on record to say he's working on his fitness.

Basford certainly never looked on the pace as much as Danno. Though of course I wish Ben luck in 2016.

• Like 1

Trust me, i'm not a fan of Verge, but he is worth one more shot. The amount of times he threw away points after he had gated so well was infuriating.

Were you at that the 4TT?

Basford spent more time on the centre green last season.

It makes no difference then does it weather he gated and was passed or Basford was on the centre green they might as well be standing in the car park as it wouldn't change their scores! as for the rest of them, Mason will finish on a 5 Bowen a 10 and the rest will add 1 point maybe 2 if they are lucky.

A reasonable looking team. Maybe won't win the league but an improvement on last year. National League very much on the way up, bring it on.

• Like 2

Oh No !! Not Mason and Verge again.

Looks like another wooden spoon for the Kings for 2016 with a three man team again - that is, if Ayres survives all those round trips.

Little bit too much doom and gloom here for me.

Ok, Mason isn't exactly going to set everyone buzzing and a lot will depend on the boys at the bottom but I'd say that's the best heat leader trio in the league and should make the Kings reasonably competitive everywhere.

• Like 2

Not a wheel has turned & kent will finish last, Eastbourne will win the league because of their track, if you were all this good at predictions can you please send me saturdays lotto numbers :lol:

• Like 5

Whilst some will see Mason as a backwards step his presence in the pits is invaluable!

And he has gone through spells of being unbeatable at home, and effectively in a second string berth so pressure is off.

• Like 1

Whilst some will see Mason as a backwards step his presence in the pits is invaluable!

And he has gone through spells of being unbeatable at home, and effectively in a second string berth so pressure is off.

I agree with you that an old head around the place can work wonders, but it's different from before, we have Clifton and Bowen, and Ayres is no spring chicken.

Ideal if you have a young team, and he's hardly on a bargain average