British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2016

Awful news !

The local paper today reports that Wealden Council are reviewing sites for potential housing developments including those that were rejected previously one of which is Arlington. Bob Dugard has expressed delight and says he has been trying to sell the stadium since 2014.

The council are looking for land to meet their share of the new housing demands placed on the south east.

Could this be the end of Eastbourne Speedway?

A little gullible I'd say? Was it in the sun? With the fact Connor and Martin won't let him sell the place because of what they are doing and that cash cow of the stock cars I expect it's just old news resurfacing. Besides Kent have got certainty in the future, I'm sure I could paint my programme board red if worst came to worst. Also a link please? Edited by Al3x200

Not into modern Tech and links but Page 5 of yesterdays Herald with headline 'Speedway site reassessed by Wealden council planners'. There is a map in outline which can be viewed on line. Presumably on Wealden council Web.

Basically what has happened is that the local district council and planning authority, Wealden District Council, has asked landowners to "bring forward" land they own as possible site for housebuilding/development.

The council says: No conclusions on future policies should be drawn from these maps.

This is the relevant part of the press release: Wealden District Council has published details of land that has come forward across the District following a call for potential development sites. They are currently being assessed by the Council’s Planning Policy team.
news_Shelaa_map.JPG

It aims to encourage other land owners to put forward possible sites to provide a comprehensive approach to the District’s ongoing Local Plan work.

"We are looking at all the possibilities for providing necessary and sustainable growth in District, and we need to consider where the best locations are," said Councillor Ann Newton, Cabinet member for Planning and Development.

"Our current Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA) is still very much a work in progress. The sites identified have yet to be assessed, but we felt it was important to publish land that has come forward in potential growth areas in the hope of encouraging other land owners to offer new pieces to the development jigsaw.

"In this spirit of openness we want to share with everyone the current position. Whilst there will undoubtedly be differences between this and the final picture, what can be seen now does help point us in the direction for the future."

The SHELAA information identifies potential development sites that have been submitted by landowners and agents around Hailsham, Polegate and Willingdon, East Hoathly, Stone Cross, Westham, Ninfield, Herstmonceux, Horam, Heathfield, Mayfield, Wadhurst and the part of Frant that borders on Tunbridge Wells.

Maps showing these sites can be found on the Planning Policy pages of this website. They are not a statement of Council policy. Landowners with potential sites who have yet to come forward can still contact the Council by emailingshelaa@wealden.gov.uk 

Not into modern Tech and links but Page 5 of yesterdays Herald with headline 'Speedway site reassessed by Wealden council planners'. There is a map in outline which can be viewed on line. Presumably on Wealden council Web.

This has been discussed on Facebook. It is not going to happen. Planners have said it is not sustainable anyway.

Good meeting last night pushed all the way again but the right result. Jake knight rode his heart out so did Powell. Look forward to having Adam and perks back in the side. Not worried about the planning application as I heard that way back in 2000 so it may never happen but if it does then worry about it then. Just enjoying speedway at Eastbourne.

Any news on Cottham and how his operation went? as looking at the photos that was on Facebook seems to be a nasty looking break and he was just starting to feel his way back into the team. shame on the guy.

What about Brennan any news on when he or if he will start as i heard that they were going to save him so he wasn't going to get an average, shamefull if thats the case, they need some fire in the belly if they want to take the pressure off the rest of the top teams with better reserves.

Any news on Cottham and how his operation went? as looking at the photos that was on Facebook seems to be a nasty looking break and he was just starting to feel his way back into the team. shame on the guy.

What about Brennan any news on when he or if he will start as i heard that they were going to save him so he wasn't going to get an average, shamefull if thats the case, they need some fire in the belly if they want to take the pressure off the rest of the top teams with better reserves.

I'd rather have a better reserve from the start of next season. As if he gains an average this season he could be in the team next year... Which would do him no good.

I'd rather have a better reserve from the start of next season. As if he gains an average this season he could be in the team next year... Which would do him no good.

I think that i would be correct in saying that if Brennan is able to ride 3 matches then his does not get an average like powell last year and JPB but he would be able to do the KO Cup plus play off matches and anything else that does not have League on it.

so we might be able to use him for a few extra meetings this year maybe.

I get why you would either agree or disagree 'if' thats what they are doing with Tom but to call it 'shameful' is ludicrous! This promotion does have fire in the belly and that would be the very reason behind keeping him on a 3 point average for next season while also, trying to win this season.

Personally, I would like to see Tom in the team asap but I would never accuse Martin and Connor of having 'no fire in the belly'

Edited by stevec

Tom Brennan will ride Vs Birmingham, Kent and one other according to argus press release 20mins ago. Luke Harris will make way for him in one if not all of these matches

Tom Brennan has been told he will celebrate his 15th birthday by riding for Eastbourne Eagles against the champions.

The British 250cc champion from Hassocks is being thrown into the National League on July 2 as Eagles host title rivals Birmingham.

He will also ride at home to powerful Kent on July 23 plus one more home fixture.

Brennan, arguably the hottest prospect in British speedway, will have at least one away fixture this year but he will not be a permanent team member for now.

Eagles will take him out of the side before he establishes an average which could hinder him next season.

He will also continue his assault on the British Youth Championship for 500cc, a competition he leads by a single point ahead of Sundays round at Rye House.

Brennans debut will see race against the league-leading Brummies and the best reserve pairing in the league in Jack Smith and Jack Parkinson-Blackburn.

He will partner Charley Powell at reserve against Birmingham with Luke Harris stepping down for the meeting.

Eagles chairman Martin Dugard said: It will be a hard one for him but he will be under no pressure from us.

"We have faith in Tom to score points and it will be good for him to have a taste of speedway at that level.

Edited by Al3x200
  • Like 1

Good Luck to Tom i will be there with my family to wish him well and to see his first race and a hard one too. Good Luck Tom

'Shameful?? In what sense? He can't ride more than a couple of matches this season otherwise we can't start him at reserve next season. Good management in my book. Well done Connor and Martin.

• Like 2

Good news for us Ellis is back at number 1 Sunday

Good to see Adam back and also Perks so game on as i think we are going to need a few points lead to take to kings lynn but who knows whats going to happen its game on

'Shameful?? In what sense? He can't ride more than a couple of matches this season otherwise we can't start him at reserve next season. Good management in my book. Well done Connor and Martin.

Don't think the KO Cup and the playoffs count towards his average so i would imagine he'll do more matches before the end of the season and still keep his 3.00 average for next year..