British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2016

Would be nice if you could give it a rest now mate, we get the picture.

Of course it would also be nice to known who proposed play off's for the NL and what the voting for accepting the proposal was.

Yes it would. At least half of the promoters clearly don't have the view that Eastbourne are unbeatable over 2 legs, or are they thinking that more fans would turn up to watch them lose on aggregate to Eastbourne in the POs than the Gold Cup??

Sports teams have difficulty in making ends meet in the vast majority of cases and there's no doubt, whatever anyone's feelings about them, that Playoffs get people through the turnstiles.

In an ideal world it would be the team that finishes top wins the championship, but we don't live in an ideal world.

If your team is 6th with a few matches to go then it keeps the interest up and more casual fans coming in. Plus, if you do make it, then potentially 2 extra home matches with bumper crowds.

Edited by solrac

Sports teams have difficulty in making ends meet in the vast majority of cases and there's no doubt, whatever anyone's feelings about them, that Playoffs get people through the turnstiles.

In an ideal world it would be the team that finishes top wins the championship, but we don't live in an ideal world.

If your team is 6th with a few matches to go then it keeps the interest up and more casual fans coming in. Plus, if you do make it, then potentially 2 extra home matches with bumper crowds.

Spot on there is nothting like a club that has had a bad run for what ever reason, Its good to keep clubs in the running to make the top 4 and then get the rewards in crowds, every club has a chance, there is nothing to say that if the reserves do well after practice on the home track, and step up the game they will start the season with a false average, this would mean that if young Dugard needs to fill a gap in then he can.

i hope i am right with all the rules, thats as long as the average is higher then what his finish average was, i think was a 4.9 wouldnt take much to get that from the reserves.

• Like 1

Yes it would. At least half of the promoters clearly don't have the view that Eastbourne are unbeatable over 2 legs, or are they thinking that more fans would turn up to watch them lose on aggregate to Eastbourne in the POs than the Gold Cup??

Nailed it. It's a decision based on clicks on the turnstiles and nothing to do with the integrity of the league.

----------------

I don't think it automatically makes the currently named Eastie team the favourite. Cradley pushed them close last season with far from a full strength team. I think what's more relevant is that I suspect Eastie will look to change the team around the second half of the summer.

• Like 1

The last 38 pages just show what a great unpredictable sport we have and we all see it in a slightly different way, obviously mostly with a bias towards the team we support. The dreadful downside and something none of us wish to see is always the injuries that affect the sport, but even that throws so much unpredictability to the season.So at this point let's hope for as near an injury free season we can get and the best team win, obviously I think that'll be the Eagles, but that's my bias!

• Like 1

Have to say i agree with the injury from as we all suffered it from all directions last year, but hands up to Eastbourne and the paying public they all dug deep and the team all ended up with the a neck brack. Speedway is a tough sport but a neck brace is so important and i think silly little things like pitmats being the wrong size or not allowed to have a undersuit made out of nylon, all the C**P about that why not make it safer #43.

Best rider in the world like Darcy ends up in a wheel chair, Sad days, Danny Warrick was also close to a big problem so come on BSPA look at it make the riders wear a neck brace or an Air Jacket.

Have to say i agree with the injury from as we all suffered it from all directions last year, but hands up to Eastbourne and the paying public they all dug deep and the team all ended up with the a neck brack. Speedway is a tough sport but a neck brace is so important and i think silly little things like pitmats being the wrong size or not allowed to have a undersuit made out of nylon, all the C**P about that why not make it safer #43.

Best rider in the world like Darcy ends up in a wheel chair, Sad days, Danny Warrick was also close to a big problem so come on BSPA look at it make the riders wear a neck brace or an Air Jacket.

Not all riders think there safer though (Neck brace especially) I remember Tai saying they were restrictive and no safer,

The riders this year all have a chance of progressing if they can do so the Eagles will once again be competitive and hopefully the play-offs.

Not sure how anyone can say this team isn't as strong as Eagles 2015 ... the Eagles that won the Cup treble wasn't the original team. As both David Mason + Danny Warwick were injured pretty early in the season and it was the excellent work Connor Dugard did getting replacements in throughout the season that was the deciding factor .

Hopwood was excellent ; as were all the signings giving the team more impetus and strength. It is unlikely anybody could guarantee the progress that BWD, Andrews, Wood and Spiller would make when they were brought into the side.

League looks as though it will be ultra competitive which is good news for the National League ....

• Like 1

Have to agree. I would say this starting line up looks stronger than the original 2015 squad. If all the riders can stay fir (fingers crossed) I see no reason why they shouldn't win most if not all matches at home and several on the road. If they do that a play off spot is a certainty and then it will come down to who is the form team at that time.

Not all riders think there safer though (Neck brace especially) I remember Tai saying they were restrictive and no safer,

Neck Braces have changed now from what they were, many of them are much lighter and they fit better then then early ones, 1000s of motor cross riders use them and i have to say when you ask any of the Eastbourne riders did they notice if they had them on they would all come back and say no they dont.

Brad has his new one on at Rye House he ended up on the other side of the fence by going over the top, His neck brace was broken where it was designed to break but he was ok with no injury to his neck, a very lucky young man.

I rather have a neck brace on and be a little bit restrictive then being in a wheel chair thats for sure.

Not all riders wanted to use kevlar suits but they had to because they were safer then the nylon ones being made.

do we have a no8 this season? Haven't said anything of it.

Is the legend that is Niall Strudwick no 8 again?

He played a major part in the team winning the treble.........by not having enough rides to lose that many points lol

• Like 1

Is the legend that is Niall Strudwick no 8 again?

He played a major part in the team winning the treble.........by not having enough rides to lose that many points lol

Nah he's said he has been released by Eastbourne. I was thinking Brennan.