British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2016

Nice and dry in Pratts Bottom this morning now onto Sittingbourne, maybe we can see a practice in the next few weeks?

i'm glad their affliction has cleared up

• Like 3

From Twitter I'm guessing it was about a year ago that the dugards dropped Brendan Johnson to be honest I'm glad they did he would never have done what bwd did and I think he scored about 2 points when he came to arlington (bwd scored more in his first race haha)

It also proves the guy who was mouthing off about the team isn't such a know it all. "One of the weaker teams"

Make a date in your diary: Friday, March 18, for press, practice and fans' forum.

Plans for the event are still being developed but the aim is to build on last year's hugely successful event, which combined a corporate event.

Last year more than 400 people attended and club director Connor Dugard said the aim was to do it all again - "but bigger and better".

Provisional timetable

2pm - Stadium open to business representatives, guests and sponsors.

6:30pm - Stadium open to both sponsors, business' AND SUPPORTERS.

Meet the riders watch them practice and have your photos taken.

7:45pm - A fans' forum where Martin, Connor, Glenn, Paul Goldsmith (IT First) and the riders will be present for Q&A on the new season.

Following the fans' forum, there will be a staff meeting where new staff will be selected for the coming season.

Keep your eyes peeled for more info as we move forward to the event.

Edited by sussex bulldog

I'll be at the evening and fans forum may pick the kids up from Bedes so they can meet the new team too

• Like 1

Pick them up from Bedes?...make 'em walk. It's not far down the lanes.

We had it tough, etc etc

I hear that Breandan Johnson was having a few laps at Iwade the other day getting in some early laps. I was told he was good of the start but was unable to slide going in the first turn and crashed into the fence. Hope he was ok but have to say i pleased he was not in the Eastbourne team. BWD was the right choice and this years team is as good or if not better then last years.

Roll on the season,

I see Hughes and Hopwood have both been selected for fast track reserve list this season.

Thats good news for them but not for the club if they get picked then the PL and EL come first. well you have to say thats good for the riders just means that other people think they are highly rated as well.

Edited by catinthehat

Thats good news for them but not for the club if they get picked then the PL and EL come first. well you have to say thats good for the riders just means that other people think they are highly rated as well.

EL and PL want everything by "coming first". They profess to want to see British speedway improve and get stronger and say the NL is the nursery.

The NL will only be the nursery if enough fans for along and watch the NL. Grabbing NL riders like that will not help.

Such EL and PL priority is wrong.

Then, the EL is clutching at straws with the fast track scheme.

Hughes and Hopwood both appear on the Elite Draft List, so nowt to do with the PL - the introduction for 2016 of 'PL No.7's eligible for the NL', as you will know, is totally separate from this.

Of course, neither Rider was picked in the draft for this season, but your concern may be if the EL progresses with plans to adopt back-up Tier 2 Reserves, from where Hughes and/or Hopwood may be picked up by an EL club.

• Like 1

Any rider who wants to improve should surely strive to ride at as high a level as he can? And as such higher level competition should always take priority, has always irritated me that double uppers can miss EL meetings and therefore testing themselves against better opposition to ride PL. Like it or not a large part of the NL is training riders for higher levels of speedway, surely we want that development to happen.

That said Hopwood & Hughes have little chance of succeeding at a higher level than the NL IMO.

• Like 1

Priority should always be given to the higher standard of competition, it's a sport. Allegedly.

• Like 1

Too much priority for the higher (allegedly) level of speedway will lead to the death of the lower levels.

Fans of NL and PL don't like seeing matches where their riders have been whisked off to a higher level, only to be replaced by guests and r/r.

Why doesn't the EL just employ enough of its own riders without having to steal others from lower divisions?

The EL made a mess of the bed-they should sleep in it.

Priority should always be given to the higher standard of competition, it's a sport. Allegedly.

I agree with what you are saying but at a cost, NL cant build the talent up and then it be taken away as and when the EL or PL have a fixture, Its all about Speedway at the end of the day, If the NL are not allowed assets or have any riders on the books as per the last AGM meeting then they cant put a data base together of riders to build the club up. Look at Kent last year buying James and next thing you know he is not worth anything to Kent as they are not allowed assets.

What a joke.