British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Belle Vue 2016

Nothing to do with track prep. Simply yhe delay in stadium build meant that bends 3 and 4 not had enough time to settle. The track will be fine once bedded in. The error was simply not calling this off yesterday when practice showed it wasnt ready.

Nothing to do with track prep. Simply yhe delay in stadium build meant that bends 3 and 4 not had enough time to settle. The track will be fine once bedded in. The error was simply not calling this off yesterday when practice showed it wasnt ready.

YOU are right, this is not a temporary track, and the 10 per cent that wasn't right last night will be sooner rather than later. To be honest I was sitting at the end of the home grandstand by the third and fourth bends and although there was obviously an issue with certain areas none of the riders seemed to have any real problems while practising.

And the fact remains that this is a magnificent speedway stadium that will, despite yesterday's debacle, do the sport proud in the future.

• Like 9

I remember riders used to ride on some crap tracks years ago, but times have changed. Witnessed a few bad accidents at Swindon with riders getting badly injured smashing into lamp standards, thankfully we now have air-fences. Footballers and rugger buggers don't have to play on muddy fields now, and we have more elf and safety awareness in sport and life in general thank christ. Even pro footballers complain if there's not the right kind of fruit in the bowl, or the temperature isn't right, couldn't imagine the likes of Charlton, Best, Moore, Greaves, etc., doing that. Workers quite rightly today wouldn't put up with some of the poor and dangerous working conditions of years ago. It's not the 60's/70s/80s now, and I cant blame the riders for not wanting to risk their necks on powerful machines with no brakes in the name of entertainment.

Ha ha, sorry then!!!

Just trying to point out that riders these days seem less and less inclined to ride a track unless it's 100% perfect.

Never used to be like that in the old days!!!! Just another thing that's helping to kill the sport sadly

I started watching speedway in the "old days"(sadly the year my hero Peter Craven was killed), and we old gits sometimes look through rose-tinted specs.

Edited by Downsman
  • Like 3

I have always thought that there's a big enough risk on the opening night of any new track without introducing extra PR risk by making the opening meeting a high profile event..?

The fact that it is opening night will in itself attract a decent crowd and if it features locally based BL riders and at normal prices then it is easier to call off with less embarrassment and if/when there are problems on the night the damage caused to the promotion/image would be less, and more easily explained away. (The fact that non-GP stars might also have given it a go being an extra bonus)

It's not as though a 'national stadium' isn't going to have big meetings in time once up and running ...

Prior to the GPs I understood all tracks staging FIM events had to have a previous trial meeting to iron out these issues..but perhaps that is no longer the case.

Standing at Rye House last night when these events unfolded there was a collective OMG but tbh not a lot of surprise since word had gone round that the track was already known to be unfit last week..

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1

I wasn't there yesterday so I don't know what the track was like, but I was told by an ex-international last Sunday that turns three and four would not be anywhere near ready and that the promotion should have called the meeting off then

He was right, the promotion were damned if they did, damned if they didn't though but on balance it would have been better to have called it off last week imo ....

• Like 2

He was right, the promotion were damned if they did, damned if they didn't though but on balance it would have been better to have called it off last week imo ....

You can say that, but in my opinion what the promotion did was bordering on illegal extortion of money from the public. To allow folk to travel, pay money for parking, programmes and food that they will never see again, all in the knowledge from the promotion that they'd likely see nothing at the end of the day, was nothing short of a national scandal.

Thankfully I didn't go, but if I had, I would not have left that stadium without threatening to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau over this blatant and deliberate (and successful) attempt to extort money from thousands of innocent punters.

• Like 6

I remember riders used to ride on some crap tracks years ago, but times have changed. Witnessed a few bad accidents at Swindon with riders getting badly injured smashing into lamp standards, thankfully we now have air-fences. Footballers and rugger buggers don't have to play on muddy fields now, and we have more elf and safety awareness in sport and life in general thank christ. Even pro footballers complain if there's not the right kind of fruit in the bowl, or the temperature isn't right, couldn't imagine the likes of Charlton, Best, Moore, Greaves, etc., doing that. Workers quite rightly today wouldn't put up with some of the poor and dangerous working conditions of years ago. It's not the 60's/70s/80s now, and I cant blame the riders for not wanting to risk their necks on powerful machines with no brakes in the name of entertainment.

I started watching speedway in the "old days"(sadly the year my hero Peter Craven was killed), and we old gits sometimes look through rose-tinted specs.

Oh for the days of Harry Cripps and Derek Hales.....

• Like 2

Oh for the days of Harry Cripps and Derek Hales.....

Wouldn't have thought Arry and Derek knew what fruit was, just a plate of pre-match pie n' mash. Remember Billy Bonds saying when he signed for West Am from Charlton had pie and chips at home in Woolwich then walked miles to Upton Park smoking a fag. Probably carrying a pint as well!

Edited by Downsman
  • Like 1

All totally pointless if they can't get the track right. Otherwise staying at the old stadium would have been the better option.

They will get the track right, I can't believe the National Stadium won't have an A1 track. Last night was the mother of all teething problems.

• Like 1

I haven't read through any comments. My take on it.

It was to soon. The weather had put the entire project about 2 months behind schedule. The majority of the track was laid, 85% in fact, and ridden fine. Bends 3 and 4 were laid on wet ground and is spongy as a consequence. That part wasn't finished only 7 days ago. Yes 7. It was never going to be ready, but when you've sold 6000 tickets I guess you take the chance?

What needs to happen now is simple. 3 and 4 need drying out and the problem part re laying. Cancel all meetings at the stadium for a month. This is not plausible I know but is absolutely crucial otherwise we will end up with a problematic track and believe me that is far worse than anything that went on last night. It will be the biggest white elephant ever. They have to correct it today, right now.

In respect of the stadium and the facilities, absolutely incredible. In respect of the track, well I'm going to stick my neck out and say it will be one of the best in the world. It's perfect for speedway and a lot of riders are to going to love racing on it.

They will get the track right, I can't believe the National Stadium won't have an A1 track. Last night was the mother of all teething problems.

It's a small section of the track. You are spot on in that they will get it right. I think when this is settled Britain is going to see some of the best racing in its lifetime on this track. It's outstanding.

From leaked information it would seem that the meeting should have been called off at least a week ago and probably longer. With that in mind, what has happened is unforgivable and it would be understandable if some of those who had tickets (particularly those with hotel reservations and expensive travel arrangements) decided to severely restrict any future visits to the place. A rain-off would be disappointing, this is far worse.

• Like 2

For info, the Aces v Wolves meeting on 25th March is now listed as 'TBC' on the BSPA website!!!

Not sure if the Aces v Pirates (30/3) meeting is still going ahead despite Sky appearing to have dropped it from their 'Live' schedules?!

Agree with this post surely one of the 'test events' should have involved an actual speedway meeting.Belle Vue are taking a risk not testing the track before a sell out opening night

Said on Thursday that Belle Vue were taking a big risk by running a test event on the track before opening night.Unfortunately some on here shot me down as being negative (Mr Flange in particular). Legality insisted that 2 test events had to occur to fully test all the logistics of the stadium,except what we were told was the centre piece of the project,the speedway track.Yes it might be great in the future but it was clearly not ready for a well publicised,sell out opening night. Speedway fans will excuse inclement weather on the night or even the track rutting a bit after 12-15 heats, but not a circuit that's deemed unfit before heat 1 after a spell of decent weather.Unfortunately the Promoters who include speedway people in Chris Morton probably knew that their were big issues but decided to wing it,hoping the riders would risk their necks to cover the managements incompetence,as we know this didn't happen.Knowing the issues, instead of cancelling the management went ahead,opened the turnstiles,took the car parking money,sold all the programmes and served the food in hospitality.Unfortunately money is tight in this project and the opening night was a significant factor in making initial repayments on the council loan.,and this was the overriding factor why the event went ahead regardless of whether they could give the public what they paid for.. Shameful

Edited by New Science
  • Like 8

What needs to happen now is simple. 3 and 4 need drying out and the problem part re laying. Cancel all meetings at the stadium for a month. This is not plausible I know but is absolutely crucial otherwise we will end up with a problematic track and believe me that is far worse than anything that went on last night. It will be the biggest white elephant ever. They have to correct it today, right now.

If the track needs drying out- how are they going to do that?

This may be completely stupid idea because I don't know how the machine works, but you know when they strip the top surface tarmac off a road they have a device that seems to melt the road surface. Must be some heat generated, maybe too much I don't know, but if too muich may be a way to reduce the heat. Just a suggestion, may be crazy, I don't know..