British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Coventry Storm Double Header Sun Oct 25th ---last Meeting In Uk This Season

COVENTRY will stage the final scheduled meeting of the British Speedway season at Brandon on Sunday afternoon (4pm).
The City Gearboxes Storm complete their National League campaign with a double-header against Eastbourne and Mildenhall in the last official fixtures of 2015.
And the home side, who go into the matches on a run of six straight wins, need to avoid defeat in either of the clashes to confirm a top-four finish in the table - which would go down as a significant achievement with a much-changed team from last year.
Their first opponents, Eastbourne, came close to taking the title in their first NL season and have already secured runners-up spot with an exciting young side headed by the hugely talented Bradley Wilson-Dean.
And depending on the outcome of their KO Cup Final against Cradley on Saturday, they could arrive at Brandon with a third item of silverware in the bag, having already clinched the Gold Cup and National Trophy.
Mildenhall, meanwhile will be looking for their first away win of the National League season in a re-arrangement from the abandoned fixture between the two clubs in late August.
Fen Tigers promoter Kevin Jolly has been active in the media with his views on that match, which came to an early halt due to a serious crash involving Storm skipper Dan Greenwood which necessitated the call-out of a county ambulance.
Jolly called for his side to be awarded a 16-14 win as they were in front at the time, with just five of fifteen heats completed, as well as erroneously questioning the level of medical cover at Brandon and disputing the arrangement that the Fen Tigers will be appearing second in Sunday’s double-header - having turned down the chance to come to Coventry in a stand-alone fixture earlier this month.
It all adds spice to the final match of the season, and promoter Mick Horton is expecting an entertaining 30-race schedule and hoping for a good turn-out ahead of the long winter break.
Horton said: “It would be great to see plenty of support for the boys in the very last meeting of the season anywhere in the country this year.
“If we win both matches we’ll finish in fourth place, which would be a great effort by the lads, and we’d actually only be one point behind Cradley.
“I do hope the fans can prove to us that investing in the youth, as we’ve done over the last three years, is worthwhile. It’s the last meeting so we really want to give the lads a good send-off. We want to invest in youngsters, but we need the support to do it.”
The Storm go into the matches with just one change from their regular line-up with Greenwood still on the sidelines, and Buxton heat-leader Liam Carr has been booked to guest at No.1.
At the other end of the team, promising 16-year-olds Callum Walker and Jamie Halder will take one match each as the Storm utilise all available members of their squad, with the remainder of the side at full strength.
Boss Laurence Rogers said: “When I put our team together I knew each and every one could improve on their starting averages, and they have been a delight to work with.
“It has been a very pleasing season despite our disjointed fixture list, and now we want to finish on a high in two tough matches.
“I’d like to thank Liam Carr for standing in, he goes well at Brandon and has a good attitude so I’m sure he’ll score plenty of points for us, and I really hope the Coventry fans take advantage of the last chance to see some speedway this season and come and support the boys.”
The action gets underway at 4pm, with admission prices £15 for adults, and all children go free.

CITY GEARBOXES STORM (from): Mark Baseby, Liam Carr, Conor Dwyer, Jamie Halder (v Mildenhall), Martin Knuckey, Darryl Ritchings, Rob Shuttleworth, Callum Walker (v Eastbourne).
EASTBOURNE (from): Richard Andrews, Kelsey Dugard, Ben Hopwood, Marc Owen, Daniel Spiller R/R, Bradley Wilson-Dean, Georgie Wood.
MILDENHALL (from): Danny Ayres, Tom Bacon, Ben Basford, Connor Coles, Jack Kingston, Connor Mountain, Luke Ruddick.

Why isn't Daniel spiller riding he's riding on Saturday night

Alex, Eastbourne need him to make sure that they defeat a depleted Cradley side on Saturday at Arlington but on Sunday they don't against the Storm at Brandon! Simples!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex, Eastbourne need him to make sure that they defeat a depleted Cradley side on Saturday at Arlington but on Sunday they don't against the Storm at Brandon! Simples!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we still want to win though! If he's over here its track time
  • Like 1

It's a long old Winter so hopefully there will be a good attendance for the last meeting in the UK this season.

I don't know anything about Daniel Spiller but I agree with Alex that he should be riding if he's available. Rider replacement is a pain in the neck if it means a delay between races.

Edited by Gemini

Eastbourne will be the biggest non triers of the entire season,58-32 to cov with averages a tumbling for the budgie boys

Eastbourne will be the biggest non triers of the entire season,58-32 to cov with averages a tumbling for the budgie boys

1 meet won't lower the average that much. anyway we accept we need a major re think next season. Enough about Eastbourne team building back to the double header now...

Edited by Alex2000

Looking forward to this --- me and my other half will be there -- we've always enjoyed watching and supporting the youngsters race but have been unable to attend as much as we would have liked this season.Go STORM

May travel over for this.

Can someone confirm that the Coventry track is fine today, after the heavy rain yesterday?

All the best

Rob

I see they are doing this daft thing when they don't put the teams in order on the web site, they must think people are stupid all you have to do is a take a a blank sheet of paper and fill it in when they announce the teams at the start.

Coventry track is never good after fine weather so you have no chance of a good track today after yesterday's rain.

• Like 1

Coventry track is never good after fine weather so you have no chance of a good track today after yesterday's rain.

It must be a while since you have been as our track has been very good this season since Terry joined the team.

• Like 1

Eagles will be in a high today after our treble. Though I don't think they will be trying today because we don't need to.

Well done beating Cradley.

they pushed us right to the end