British Speedway Forum

I think you'll find your original identity was to have been claret and sky blue until Essex Radio came in as sponsors prior to launch of the track and the colours were changed to theirs. I seem to remember seeing pictures from a practice session of the original race jackets. I'm sure Bryn Willams will have the facts tucked away somewhere.

I came across the following link which shows you are correct!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70179951@N03/6921328007/

Here are the Hammers of 1984 in their original race jackets.

• Like 1

I came across the following link which shows you are correct!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70179951@N03/6921328007/

Here are the Hammers of 1984 in their original race jackets.

Thanks very much for confirming that the memory's not quite gone yet. They weren't the first (or last) team to have to suddenly change race jackets due to sponsorship. There was the case of the White City Capital Rebels that very swiftly had to become the White City LBC Rebels.

I was lucky enough to commentate on the video of the first speedway meeting staged at Arena in 1984 - I think it was the Essex Radio Championship, won by Rye House's Bob Garrad. Who would have thought over 30 years later that all we would have left in the London area were Arena Essex and Rye House. Where did it all go wrong?

Who would have thought over 30 years later that all we would have left in the London area were Arena Essex and Rye House. Where did it all go wrong?

Where did it all go wrong?

You could write a book.

Rapacious developers

Promoters forgetting speedway is in the entertainment business

Swept away by the dominance of PL soccer

Some chapter headings there for budding authors.

HAD lunch with Kelvin yesterday. Has already heard from Bjarne Pedersen who feels he has a new lease of life and is really geared up for the Elite League in 2016.

Kelvin is excited about his new role and feels that it will dovetail nicely with his role with Sky Sports. Already has a good rapport with Andreas Jonsson who, he says, had offers from almost every other Elite League team but turned out better financial deals be cause he wanted to ride for Lakeside.

Kelvin's mechanical expertise could be of particular value in the Lakeside pits but he is also looking to working closely with the Hagon academy.

• Like 4

HAD lunch with Kelvin yesterday. Has already heard from Bjarne Pedersen who feels he has a new lease of life and is really geared up for the Elite League in 2016.

Kelvin is excited about his new role and feels that it will dovetail nicely with his role with Sky Sports. Already has a good rapport with Andreas Jonsson who, he says, had offers from almost every other Elite League team but turned out better financial deals be cause he wanted to ride for Lakeside.

Kelvin's mechanical expertise could be of particular value in the Lakeside pits but he is also looking to working closely with the Hagon academy.

Sounds promising regarding Bjarne really hope it works out. To think some on the Lakeside forum doubt AJ's commitment to the club.
  • Like 2

All these bird puns are a bit hard to swallow!

• Like 1

The person who started the bird puns should get a warning , and told not to lark about in future. :wink:

The person who started the bird puns should get a warning , and told not to lark about in future. :wink:

The poster has obviously dropped a booby

The poster has obviously dropped a booby

I was just about to say not that kind of bird (for which gravity would be responsible) but found out that its a seabird. What an education on here - lol

• Like 1

Kelvin is now shown on the website as joint team manager with Jon Cook, in addition to being club coach. Edited by Daytripper

I was just about to say not that kind of bird (for which gravity would be responsible) but found out that its a seabird. What an education on here - lol

Owl could you not have known that?