British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Steve Gresham

Would really like to read an interview with Steve Gresham. He was a complex character who upset many on track but apparently was a very different person off track? His views and comments, I'm sure, would make very interesting reading. Any comments?

• Like 2

Would really like to read an interview with Steve Gresham. He was a complex character who upset many on track but apparently was a very different person off track? His views and comments, I'm sure, would make very interesting reading. Any comments?

That would be a very interesting read I think. :t:

He is on Facebook cos I see the odd comment from him now and again........

RP

Characters like Gresham are needed in the sport. As sales of Cadbury creme eggs have nosedived after the ingredients was changed, Speedway Star has discovered that reliving older stuff in their magazines is perhaps the only thing worth reading of what is a format designed for the modern-day. And it ain't SS fault either, as the characters of today are.... B-O-R-I-N-G!

The first speedway book I bought contained an article bemoaning the lack of characters in the sport, unlike 'the old days' - and that was in 1970.

• Like 3

He is on Facebook cos I see the odd comment from him now and again........

RP

Yes I corresponded with him on Facebook some years back and I know that he was keen to do an interview for 'Backtrack' (any thoughts Tony Mac?) I'm sure his comments and observations would be interesting to say the very least!

• Like 3

Have just read the interview with Steve in the latest 'Backtrack' edition. Proved interesting but I was left wanting to know more about him.

Steve Gresham he held his own in the great England v USA tests,was very talented and I remember his partnership with Holloway with the Robins that was very good indeed.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Steve Gresham he held his own in the great England v USA tests,was very talented and I remember his partnership with Holloway with the Robins that was very good indeed.

If I recall 'The Mad Wellie' was the only one happy to ride with him?

Have just read the interview with Steve in the latest 'Backtrack' edition. Proved interesting but I was left wanting to know more about him.

Would that be in issue 71 or is there a later edition out? many thanks

Would that be in issue 71 or is there a later edition out? many thanks

Received my latest edition on Friday (No.72)

If I recall 'The Mad Wellie' was the only one happy to ride with him?

He wasn't sometimes Steve not at all ,they often had misunderstandings but who would argue with Steve.? Malc did say they got on well and he was a really nice bloke there partnership was decent.They beat the Collins/Grahame partnership a few times and for me those Cradley lads were one of the best partnerships ever.

Steve, I think he revealed a lot. For example, I didn't realise the personal trauma he'd been through in 2004 - Steve mentioned that despite the fact it's understandably tough for him to talk about it.

I know you regard him as a arch-villain, but I found him as eloquent, intelligent and modest; someone more interested in talking about the future of the sport, than talking about himself.

One thing he was reluctant to do was to bad-mouth other riders e.g. regarding the incident with Briggo at Reading, what he wanted to point out was that they had bumped into each other in the last year or so and had talked things out.

Of particular interest, I felt, was his reasoning behind any trouble on-and-off track. He clearly had his own code, and if anyone went against that, then he wouldn't hesitate to stick up for himself.

A standard closing question is "Do you look back fondly on your speedway career?". Steve gave one of the most eloquent responses to this, explaining how it had shaped his subsequent life.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1