British Speedway Forum

Greyhound stadium at Wallyford, near Edinburgh got planning permission on the provision that a number of houses were built first. Houses built, some steel work for stadium goes up, more houses built, no more stadium built, more and more houses built, still no stadium. Every couple of years the guy pops up with "Work to resume on stadium" Still nothing, this has been ongoing for a few years now. By the way no motor sports permitted.

Have agreed the Wallyford situation was a total con by the buyer .No intention of building a stadium just selling land for housing.Every 2/3 years there is something about taking guy to court( Irishman I believe)Steel work has been there for at least 15 years I reckon perhaps some Edinburgh fan will confirm this.no chance of motor sport ever being there now IMO .

Does Swindon really have a housing crisis?

Of course it does. It has been made clear by Government that there is a national shortage of houses. Get real!

What do you mean "get real?" I live in NZ it was a genuine question. IT's also quite rare for a housing crisis to impact a whole country, generally it impacts specific areas only, hence the question with regards to Swindon.

certainly I've seen quite educated/knowledgeable folk, such as SCB and Sir HA, dispute that there is shortage of housing in the UK, and they have pointed out that there are actually many vacant buildings in parts of the country.

Yes peeps mainly from Berkshire/Oxfordshire want to buy houses in the Swindon area as on average they are over 100 grand cheaper than Reading and Oxford. Then they try to commute back east on increasingly choked-up roads.

TBH, that doesn't sound like a housing crisis, that sounds like the standard case of people moving "one suburb/town" out to be able to afford a decent house in a commutable location.

Auckland has a housing shortage (wouldn't use the word "crisis"), which has seen prices rise by over 30% this year (some suburbs by well over 50%). . I'd expect prices to have risen by at least that if there is a genuine "crisis" in swindon, but that doesn't seem to be the case (Sid will be laughing if it is). If prices rise too much, people will look a further suburb out, if prices aren't rising enough then people won't be incentivised to sell. Looking online at Swindon house prices, they seem pretty reasonable?

crisis is quite an emotive word. Personally, i'd consider it to be a housing crisis if you had people out on the streets, because there are literally not enough houses for them to live in, or they cannot afford to rent in even the most basic accommodation. Is this the case in Swindon? In UK as a whole?

Edited by waihekeaces1

Perhaps the most significant date currently published for anything to do with this saga is that Sky's upcoming greyhound schedule includes its annual trip for Swindon's biggest dog race of the year, the Arc final, on Wednesday 23rd March 2016.

(Swindon picked up the Arc competition from its traditional home at Walthamstow when that track closed in August 2008).

This date was published in the last week of September this year, a fortnight before the Swindon Robins staged the extravaganza billed as speedway's farewell to the current stadium.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/greyhounds/bags-tv-green-light-for-2016-derby-double-header/1962763/top/

Even if the new stadium does get built, it's just about impossible for it to be ready for that Sky date in just over 4 months' time given it hasn't even begun to be built yet.

Hence Sky must be anticipating setting up their cameras for that Arc final around the current dog track rather than a new one ... what's more, they'd be turning up to that current dog track only 2 days before one of the most lucrative days of the year for Elite League speedway because it's a very early Easter in 2016 and so Good Friday crops up on Friday 25th March !!

So well done to anyone involved with speedway at Swindon for managing to hype-up and stage a supposed farewell to the current speedway track around a fortnight AFTER it had already been announced elsewhere that Swindon would be welcoming Sky's greyhound coverage during the early stages of the next speedway season !!

• Like 1

What do you mean "get real?" I live in NZ it was a genuine question. IT's also quite rare for a housing crisis to impact a whole country, generally it impacts specific areas only, hence the question with regards to Swindon.

certainly I've seen quite educated/knowledgeable folk, such as SCB and Sir HA, dispute that there is shortage of housing in the UK, and they have pointed out that there are actually many vacant buildings in parts of the country.

"Get Real" - then read this. And there's a lot more available if you care to Google for it.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/campaigns/why_we_campaign/the_housing_crisis

Edited by Guest

"Get Real" - then read this. And there's lot more available if you care to Google for it.

none of that article mentions swindon, which was where i specifically referred to? Can you nprovide me with a link that says Swindon has a housing crisis?

I guess also it depends on your definition of "crisis", which seems to be extensively used, but is a very subjective term. That article refers to increasing unaffordabiliy of houses to buy. As a comparison, Auckland house prices are now approximately 11 times the average full time Auckland salary. Yet we don't describe it as a crisis, though from what I've seen Britains houses are not at that level?

The article says evidence of the crisis is that there are approximately 2000 Brits without a roof over their head. While clearly not desirable, that's a tiny fraction of the population, and I would think comparable to most western countries?

none of that article mentions swindon, which was where i specifically referred to? Can you nprovide me with a link that says Swindon has a housing crisis?

I guess also it depends on your definition of "crisis", which seems to be extensively used, but is a very subjective term. That article refers to increasing unaffordabiliy of houses to buy. As a comparison, Auckland house prices are now approximately 11 times the average full time Auckland salary. Yet we don't describe it as a crisis, though from what I've seen Britains houses are not at that level?

The article says evidence of the crisis is that there are approximately 2000 Brits without a roof over their head. While clearly not desirable, that's a tiny fraction of the population, and I would think comparable to most western countries?

Not sure if there is what you would call a housing crisis in Swindon, all I can state is that the Council have and are ruining the town by building thousands of houses. At certain times of the day the traffic is at a standstill and the infrastructure of the town cannot cope with the current population, let alone the projected increases. The reason housing prices are not going through the roof is that if they did many would not be able to afford them.

The Magic Roundabout must be fun at rush hour. :lol:

• Like 1

does any real speedway fan really believe that a new stadium will be built?...because when you look at the history of Reading and Milton Keynes and the promises made for new stadiums by the same people then for me it will not happen.

Sorry to pizz on anybodies bonfire and all that!

Edited by Odds On

does any real speedway fan really believe that a new stadium will be built?...because when you look at the history of Reading and Milton Keynes and the promises made for new stadiums by the same people then for me it will not happen.

Sorry to pizz on anybodies bonfire and all that!

"Wee wee wee all the way home" as an old quotation goes!

Call me a cynic but am I right to say that Clark Osborne has something to do with Blunsden Stadium? I well remember when he placed Cowley in great jeopardy back in 1975 under the banner of Bristol Stadiums Ltd (?) when the site was about to be sold for redevelopment until saved thru' the great efforts of local fans (my uncle was one).

• Like 1

The UKs housing crisis is more as described earlier, Londons moves to Reading as it's cheaper and they force up the price, so people from Reading move to Swindon as it's cheaper and force up prices. They in turn move to Newport and force up prices, and those people move up into the Welsh valleys. It's a ripple effect. I'm not gong to say there's a lack of houses and more houses won't fix the issue but it's not the main issue. It's banks lending silly amounts, mainly to BTL investors that has caused our recent issues.

But a "housing crisis" means most people who do no look into it will get upset at the idea of homes being left empty.

"Get Real" - then read this. And there's a lot more available if you care to Google for it.

Id pay very little attention to Shelter. A lot of their funding comes from Nationwide building society. One of the biggest BTL mortgage providers in the UK. They're hardly going to want homes to be made more affordable, it'll mean less profit for them!!

Not sure if there is what you would call a housing crisis in Swindon, all I can state is that the Council have and are ruining the town by building thousands of houses. At certain times of the day the traffic is at a standstill and the infrastructure of the town cannot cope with the current population, let alone the projected increases. The reason housing prices are not going through the roof is that if they did many would not be able to afford them.

Tried getting onto the A419 today by the stadium...a sodding total standstill.

Swindon, after Warrington, is supposed to have the best income/house price ratio

The UKs housing crisis is more as described earlier, Londons moves to Reading as it's cheaper and they force up the price, so people from Reading move to Swindon as it's cheaper and force up prices. They in turn move to Newport and force up prices, and those people move up into the Welsh valleys. It's a ripple effect. I'm not gong to say there's a lack of houses and more houses won't fix the issue but it's not the main issue. It's banks lending silly amounts, mainly to BTL investors that has caused our recent issues.

But a "housing crisis" means most people who do no look into it will get upset at the idea of homes being left empty.

Id pay very little attention to Shelter. A lot of their funding comes from Nationwide building society. One of the biggest BTL mortgage providers in the UK. They're hardly going to want homes to be made more affordable, it'll mean less profit for them!!

Don't know anyone from Swindon who has moved to Newport, although know a few peeps who have moved to Chepstow, Caldicot, Monmouth, Wye Valley, Swansea, and Pembrokeshire. My daughter loved being at Uni in Swansea.

Edited by haydon hat

Judging by the Mildenhall situation,these new house owners will soon get rid of the motor sport from the Stadium(if it every materialises )

Call me a cynic but am I right to say that Clark Osborne has something to do with Blunsden Stadium? I well remember when he placed Cowley in great jeopardy back in 1975 under the banner of Bristol Stadiums Ltd (?) when the site was about to be sold for redevelopment until saved thru' the great efforts of local fans (my uncle was one).

Yes this is the same guy, and the same company under a different guise these days, and the history of Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading does not bode well for Swindon, I don't understand why PP has not already been granted, they have had long enough to sort it out by now, or is it that Stadia UK have become expert at engineering delays, just so that the houses are built first and there is NO need then to provide a Stadium so they can then demolish a ramshackle Stadium that could well be a Health & Safety risk by that time, and Clark Osborne, Bill Glass and there merry band of asset strippers can have an increased pension pot by then.

• Like 1