British Speedway Forum

Speedway is fekked, the average fan can see it, its just the powers that be cant see it.

There is a culture within the sport of living for today and fekk tomorrow.

That has always been the case or the promoters in the best years would have put it on a firmer footing!

Have emailed Swindon Council this morning, asking the latest ......

Ignoring, of course, the part that the Labour government did to provide that situation, when the finances were woefully weak and unable to ride the difficulties. Never a good idea to try and rewrite the history to cover your erse.

I dispute your assessment of the current situation, but just think it could have affected everyone and the country, if Labour had bankrupted the nation and we were well on the way to do so.

I really don't expect informed political comment on a speedway forum - it's hard enough to find informed speedway comment here but this really has no place here. It may be a standard right wing fall-back position that Labour can't be trusted to manage the economy but there is a very strong school of thought that accepts that that the speculator-based economic bubble that burst in 2008 was a worldwide problem, not confined to the UK, and that the then government used classic pre-Thatcherite Keynesian economic theory to 'pump prime' the economy by increasing public spending to combat the recession, rather in the same way that Rooseveldt overcame the Great Depression in 1930s America.

Now, although I do have a degree in such matters I do not consider myself an expert but I do know enough to judge that not everything newspapers like the Daily Mail tell is fact. There are two sides to every story and unless people are prepared to use a little thought, maybe even study a subject even briefly and not rely on political prejudices it might be best if they stuck to speedway. In your case I respect your speedway views but really have no interest in your politics.

Thank goodness for posters like Arthur Cross who consistently enlighten us with insight and analysis of key aspects of the sport. I come to this forum, sifting through the rubbish to find gems like his postings. I immerse myself in sport to get away from politics....

Edited by rmc
  • Like 3

I really don't expect informed political comment on a speedway forum - it's hard enough to find informed speedway comment here but this really has no place here. It may be a standard right wing fall-back position that Labour can't be trusted to manage the economy but there is a very strong school of thought that accepts that that the speculator-based economic bubble that burst in 2008 was a worldwide problem, not confined to the UK, and that the then government used classic pre-Thatcherite Keynesian economic theory to 'pump prime' the economy by increasing public spending to combat the recession, rather in the same way that Rooseveldt overcame the Great Depression in 1930s America.

Now, although I do have a degree in such matters I do not consider myself an expert but I do know enough to judge that not everything newspapers like the Daily Mail tell is fact. There are two sides to every story and unless people are prepared to use a little thought, maybe even study a subject even briefly and not rely on political prejudices it might be best if they stuck to speedway. In your case I respect your speedway views but really have no interest in your politics.

Thank goodness for posters like Arthur Cross who consistently enlighten us with insight and analysis of key aspects of the sport. I come to this forum, sifting through the rubbish to find gems like his postings. I immerse myself in sport to get away from politics....

What about my Postings rmc? :o:unsure::blink:

:rofl: Don't answer that. :rofl: :rofl:

The sort of terse reply one gets on the BSF - thanks (!!!) Gemini. My question to Humphrey was straight forward and it didn't need you to pole your hooter into the scenario. One could detect Humphrey's reply with a little research but for a first time viewer who did not back track to the original Post leading to Humphrey's response that wasn't the case in my personal opinion.

You're welcome and trust me that was my polite reply as a first time viewer who was easily able to work out which bit was which. But then I'm a woman so it was easy.

Reading this thread people may be interested to know "Five live investigates" on Radio 5, Sunday at 11am has a feature about Developers who promise certain things to gain planning permission but then never fulfil those promises.

May be of interest in view of the Swindon situation.

• Like 2

You're welcome and trust me that was my polite reply as a first time viewer who was easily able to work out which bit was which. But then I'm a woman so it was easy.

...but message replies should be posted correctly. OUTSIDE the quote box. That didn't happen in the matter I refer to. If one didn't look to previous posts to that reply it appears the whole message was from the original sender and that there was no reply from Humphrey! Can you understand that point which I am making?

...but message replies should be posted correctly. OUTSIDE the quote box. That didn't happen in the matter I refer to. If one didn't look to previous posts to that reply it appears the whole message was from the original sender and that there was no reply from Humphrey! Can you understand that point which I am making?

When I try to Post from my 'Phone - I find that I cannot get the cursor outside the said box gustix.

I offer this as a possible explanation.

It is certainly the reason I do not Post from my 'Phone.

The problem is the rich text view doesn't offer the same flexibility with multiple quoting as the raw text mode, so I usually switch to the latter mode when writing posts. However, if you accidentally leave in a superfluous quotation tag then it causes the problem you saw.

Unfortunately, the website became slow and unresponsive after I posted, so I was unable to go and fix the problem before you pointed it out.

The problem is the rich text view doesn't offer the same flexibility with multiple quoting as the raw text mode, so I usually switch to the latter mode when writing posts. However, if you accidentally leave in a superfluous quotation tag then it causes the problem you saw.

Unfortunately, the website became slow and unresponsive after I posted, so I was unable to go and fix the problem before you pointed it out.

Thank you very much for your comment Humphrey. It really is appreciated - a valid explanation.

But you don't provide full quotes anyway. :o;):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: