Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

I remember many years ago standing on the bank by the pits and looking out beyond them. You could not see any lights let alone any houses. It was like being on the edge of the world.

With the rapid expansion of housing in the immediate area I fear for Speedway once the noise and parking complaints start flying in.

I really hope they don't go the same way as Coventry and the many more that have passed before them (including us!).

Speedway is a very different sport these days to the one I grew up with. Very sad to see all these great venues disappearing.

Edited by Ommer Mon
  • Like 5

This place has so many memories for me been going through all my youth until now.I can't imagine not going to Blunsdon but something at the moment is not right just hope things turn out for the better.

• Like 1

I remember many years ago standing on the bank by the pits and looking out beyond them. You could not see any lights let alone any houses. It was like being on the edge of the world.

With the rapid expansion of housing in the immediate area I fear for Speedway once the noise and parking complaints start flying in.

I really hope they don't go the same way as Coventry and the many more that have passed before them (including us!).

Speedway is a very different sport these days to the one I grew up with. Very sad to see all these great venues disappearing.

Agree with your points although the Coventry example is actually a unique one, as I read somewhere that local residents would actually prefer the stadium to be be open then have houses built.

If I was not into motorsports I think I would still rather a track in operation a few times a week for a few hours, then have 100 new noisy neighbours living behind my back fence.....

• Like 3

Agree with your points although the Coventry example is actually a unique one, as I read somewhere that local residents would actually prefer the stadium to be be open then have houses built.

If I was not into motorsports I think I would still rather a track in operation a few times a week for a few hours, then have 100 new noisy neighbours living behind my back fence.....

And I would agree with you. Lets hope those residents put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) when the plans are considered.

I believe it's the residents who have stalled the development of the garden centre opposite for so long.

The residents of Brandon and Binley Wood are very pro-speedway/stox.

I sincerely hope that they stay that way. :t:

A bit of a rarity these days. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'd rather have a speedway in my neighbourhood than another housing estate.

The destruction of Coventry is an utter disgrace.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 6

The vandalism at Brandon was an utter disgrace I agree. But to be honest it could be put right at a much more reasonable cost than building a new stadium just up the road ( or anywhere in the area ). The fact that no-one has come forward with the resources to do that is the saddest part of the whole situation. Too big an investment to be worth while with the long term use of Brandon still in the balance? The big gain of a future stadium built from scratch elsewhere in the area is that it should have a more stable and longer leasehold future in terms of planning permission. But if Brandon is not restored and used, I cannot see speedway running for three to five years, if ever, as Coventry Bees.

• Like 1

Interesting article on GI and Torquay United - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/16/torquay-fans-fear-relegation-losing-home-96-years-plainmoor

Torquay have released a statement in response on their website which includes the quote "we would refer him to the interview given by owner Clarke Osborne to the club website, which contains a cast-iron guarantee of the intention to build a new stadium before anything happens to Plainmoor, as well as an explanation of the reasoning behind the plan to negotiate the freehold of the ground."

All sounds a little similar..

• Like 3

Surely it's only a matter of time before Osborne finds there's someone waiting for him when he gets home one night..? He just lies, then wrecks whatever he can that will make him money.

• Like 1

Latest report in the local paper about the stadium stating that it can be built in a matter of weeks and that many of the bits needed are stored in South Wales and just need bolting together.

The delays are down to technical drainage issues.

I am unable to copy the article across to this post at the moment.

Was that a pig I just saw flying past the window ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit article now available

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15248161.Robins_stadium_owners_frustrated_by_delays/?ref=mr&lp=6

Edited by A ORLOV

Latest report in the local paper about the stadium stating that it can be built in a matter of weeks and that many of the bits needed are stored in South Wales and just need bolting together.

The delays are down to technical drainage issues.

I am unable to copy the article across to this post at the moment.

Was that a pig I just saw flying past the window ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We hear so many different stories people don't believe them, and its best to say won't be a new stadium.

We hear so many different stories people don't believe them, and its best to say won't be a new stadium.

Tend to agree and those at Poole should start wondering the same.