British Speedway Forum

Does anyone know if the current Swindon stadium runs at a profit with just greyhounds and anything else non-speedway?! Just asking.

It has a BAGS contract which they announced they would know about an extension of the present contract at the end of March, so probably makes money on that, as on the few times I have been there it cannot make any money from the 100 odd people in the stadium, but I have seen nothing about any future continuation of the contract.

• Like 1

It has a BAGS contract which they announced they would know about an extension of the present contract at the end of March, so probably makes money on that, as on the few times I have been there it cannot make any money from the 100 odd people in the stadium, but I have seen nothing about any future continuation of the contract.

BAGS meetings keep many dog tracks open. They really don't make anything from the people in the stadium, who usually get in free. The filmed racing is sold around the world for very good money, particularly the Far East, and can be a track's biggest source of income. BAGS income a Brough Park is I believe the biggest and is in excess of £500.000.

The BAGS syndicate have recently bought out Brough Park from Willian Hill, who are also syndicate members.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

With Dore, Fearman, Higley and Silver they might have been tempted to pay. But the idea that high eg, lavish living Fearman would have coughed up circa £400k is ludicrous. Not long after he, or his company, did not giveNeil Middleditch is testimonial money sst Poole. Meanwhile Fearman had a luxury pad at Henley, a flat in Sanbnks and a Rolls Royce - allegedly.

Edited by remembertheracers
  • Like 3

The land around the stadium was originally owned by Motorola and had a covenant restricting usage to industrial/commercial as designated in the original North Swindon Expansion Plan. Planning permission for houses should never have been granted.

By getting speedway supporters "on side" by initially planning a stadium for greyhounds only and then amending it to include speedway, GI cleverly got public and political support on their side for the housing/stadium development.

Sadly - with the amount of time that has elapsed - you may well be right MattK.

Obviously I very much hope that you are wrong.

One of Clark Osbournes company's listed on Company's House is called Poole Stadium limited or something of that ilk

Here's a link to Poole Stadium Ltd https://companycheck.co.uk/company/03066878/POOLE-STADIUM-LIMITED/companies-house-data

Interesting that the registered office address appears to be Abbey Stadium, Swindon

Also interesting to read all of Osborne's directorships, past and present

Incidentally, why is there NO mention on Poole Borough website of a stadium?

Edited by Midland Red

Here's a link to Poole Stadium Ltd https://companycheck.co.uk/company/03066878/POOLE-STADIUM-LIMITED/companies-house-data

Interesting that the registered office address appears to be Abbey Stadium, Swindon

Also interesting to read all of Osborne's directorships, past and present

Incidentally, why is there NO mention on Poole Borough website of a stadium?

If you go here and you can download the Asset Register for Poole Council:

http://www.poole.gov.uk/planning-and-buildings/land-and-premises/the-role-of-the-estate-management-team/

Poole Stadium is listed as Freeland and marked as "No" under Land Only.

When did these 'drainage' issues on the new site spring up?

Sounds like the new stadium is now going to be portacabins with a bit of poncing up.

When did these 'drainage' issues on the new site spring up?

Sounds like the new stadium is now going to be portacabins with a bit of poncing up.

most speedway fans will put up with basic facilities, but a lot of dog punters want to be wined and dined.

most speedway fans will put up with basic facilities, but a lot of dog punters want to be wined and dined.

They can have curtains in their portacabin.

• Like 8

A building is just a building without a track , where is the track ? Or is that being built off site too , my guess is there is some sort of community sports hall that they are saying is the stadium that is going to be put there and they are just buying time till they can get the current track gone

• Like 1

A building is just a building without a track , where is the track ? Or is that being built off site too , my guess is there is some sort of community sports hall that they are saying is the stadium that is going to be put there and they are just buying time till they can get the current track gone

Scalextric?

• Like 1