British Speedway Forum

Another one bites the dust sadly. And before much longer. Will there even be a Robins side at the Abbey in 2018?

...I would agree however it does highlight the fact that stadiums such as Coventry and Oxford have been left vacant, which is nothing short of a disgrace in my opinion, instead of being put to good use.

no worse than the situation at smallmead, where a functional stadium was pulled down and the site left untouched for years.
  • Like 1

no worse than the situation at smallmead, where a functional stadium was pulled down and the site left untouched for years.

Having read Reg Fearman's book wasn't there an issue that the promoters (Pat Bliss & Bill Dore) had altered the lease expiry date of the site thus it's ultimate premature closure?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Having read Reg Fearman's book wasn't there an issue that the promoters (Pat Bliss & Bill Dore) had altered the lease expiry date of the site thus it's ultimate premature closure?

I think Fearman is being slightly economical with the truth as i believe the 1st lessening of the years of the lease(by the council) was under his tenure.

I think Fearman is being slightly economical with the truth as i believe the 1st lessening of the years of the lease(by the council) was under his tenure.

Could be but to quote from his book...

"My understanding of what was eventually to transpire was that in the late 1980s (Reg had sold his interests by then), Bill Dore was involved in discussions with Reading Borough Council. I know not whether Allied Presentations Ltd was in breach of the lease or if the council approached Bill Dore to sell back to them the 99 year lease I had negotiated. The outcome was that the 99 year lease was rescinded. A new lease was signed, which expired in October 2008...the lease was reduced to just 34 years in total"

Edited by steve roberts

Could be but to quote from his book...

"My understanding of what was eventually to transpire was that in the late 1980s (Reg had sold his interests by then), Bill Dore was involved in discussions with Reading Borough Council. I know not whether Allied Presentations Ltd was in breach of the lease or if the council approached Bill Dore to sell back to them the 99 year lease I had negotiated. The outcome was that the 99 year lease was rescinded. A new lease was signed, which expired in October 2008...the lease was reduced to just 34 years in total"

Sadly i believe over the years there were several reasons the lease was reduced- firstly as part of the build the whole area had to be landscaped- this was never done. I believe also the car park should have been tarmacked and there were certain planning permission issues as well over the years.

• Like 1

Sadly i believe over the years there were several reasons the lease was reduced- firstly as part of the build the whole area had to be landscaped- this was never done. I believe also the car park should have been tarmacked and there were certain planning permission issues as well over the years.

I once was shown the original, detailed drawings for Smallmead which showed a much more elaborate and substantial stadium than that which was built. I do wonder if there was a link between this and your points.

• Like 1

So how long left at the present stadium, before it's surrounded by houses and the bulldozers move in.

How longs a piece of string. I went to last weeks semi, and i didn't notice a whole lot of difference apart from the pits area looking a bit of shambles.

I once was shown the original, detailed drawings for Smallmead which showed a much more elaborate and substantial stadium than that which was built. I do wonder if there was a link between this and your points.

The portacabins on the home straight were, I believe, supposed to be just temporary.

I also heard that many years were traded off the lease at various times rather than do required work. Such a shame. Even now the stadium land is not built on, although I did recently read about a new complex being built there soon that is connected to the football stadium.

I miss Oxford and Reading. If Swindon were to close down too it would be such a shame to have lost all three.

• Like 2

The portacabins on the home straight were, I believe, supposed to be just temporary.

I also heard that many years were traded off the lease at various times rather than do required work. Such a shame. Even now the stadium land is not built on, although I did recently read about a new complex being built there soon that is connected to the football stadium.

I miss Oxford and Reading. If Swindon were to close down too it would be such a shame to have lost all three.

...yes when I think that I used to go regularly to Oxford, Reading, Coventry and Cradley...all tracks that have now gone and with question marks over Swindon one wonders where speedway will be in a few years down the road.

...to be honest Smallmead did always look to be a temporary stadium from the start but I guess the initial agenda was to get 'The Racers' operating again after a year out.

I recall reading many times that the idea was to improve the facilities (Reg, again, talks about it in his book) but for one reason or another it never really materialised and over years the stadium began to deteriorate which was a shame as the potential was there to develop the stadium further.

I recall reading many times that the idea was to improve the facilities (Reg, again, talks about it in his book) but for one reason or another it never really materialised and over years the stadium began to deteriorate which was a shame as the potential was there to develop the stadium further.

I heard it first hand that the site was supposed to be fenced, and this was a condition of the original long lease.

Presumably it wasn't done because of lack of cash, or because the promoters didn't see any long-term future in the sport. I don't recall Reading ever really getting big crowds, even during their championship seasons, so that perhaps influenced the thinking.

In the wider scheme of things though, it does demonstrate the short-term thinking in the sport, which in the end will kill it.

• Like 1

I recall during 1974 that it was admitted that the stadium plans were having to be scaled-back in order to get the Racers back in 1975, thereby just missing one season.

There are parallels in how the replacement Swindon design has been severely compromised compared to the original. We just have to hope that if it ever is built then the present stadium is still in use up to the point at which the replacement is ready.

I also hope for world peace and intelligent conversation with Poole fans.......

Much is said about how the loss of speedway in London was a mortal blow for the sport. The decline of the Oxford/Reading/Swindon cluster has also been

very significant. Now the Midlands has lost Coventry to go with Cradley, leaving Wolverhampton also on their own like the Robins.

We can't afford to lose Swindon.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 4

The sport cannot afford to lose Swindon I agree wholeheartedly. It just appears from the outside that it's something very likely to happen and sooner rather than later. Do we really expect a minority motorsports facility to continue to be allowed to run in such close proximity, as now exists? At Peterborough things continue because so many other sports and events are run there. And the housing is quite some distance away. At a number of ex- speedway locations it has proved to be impossible ( or unacceptable ) to continue. There seems likely to be only one loser. It could all so easily be confirmed that a new stadium will be put together ( and when ) on the site, but the silence is deafening.

• Like 2

Another one bites the dust sadly. And before much longer. Will there even be a Robins side at the Abbey in 2018?

Not being nasty here but it would not be the first time where the league champions are not running the next season. (I do believe you will beat Wolves now)

Edited by Packerman