British Speedway Forum

That computer generated image looks all to like an updated version of Crayford! I used to go to the old stadium for Speedway, Stock Car and Banger racing. The viewing was good from all around the stadium. Then they knocked the old stadium down and built the new Greyhound racing only stadium which only has viewing on the finishing straight.

The stand at the new Crayford, like the one shown above, is flat fronted but does have viewing on two levels. Sadly on the lower level people can stand in front of you outside so you cannot see the racing and on the top level you have a reasonable view if you are on the front row but anywhere else you can only see the back straight as crowd in front block your view completely.

Crayford and many other dog tracks has seating around tables for four which means the track is not in front of you but at your side! Much of Wimbledon and Walthamstow had the side on seating which means you have a job seeing one end of the track. From my memory (my last visit was in the mid 80s) the current Swindon stand allows you to see the track easily with seats that face the track rather than being a restaurant with a track on the side!

I pity those who watch at any track that is built like that. The 700 people may well be able to be housed in the stand but I fear only about 100 of them will have anything like a good view of the track and while that may be acceptable at dog racing it certainly is not acceptable at speedway.

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Looking at the computer pictures, what the hell is that box with Abbey Stadium on it? So a few windows up top to look out of? No terracing in the front? Useless!

This is surely just some feeble knock up and no good for viewing whatsoever. Flat in front so three deep at best. Or is this the outside of the stadium and the ‘track’ is just the road to the stadium?

AbbeyStadium_View4-ViewFromTheCentreOfTh

This is the new fire station

• Like 2

I thought the impression was from the outside and not from inside the track

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

I thought the impression was from the outside and not from inside the track

The terracing to the right of the building suggests that the CGI has been produced from the track side :/

1 hour ago, KevH said:

The terracing to the right of the building suggests that the CGI has been produced from the track side :/

Exactly. A farcical main “stand” which clearly has been knocked up by someone in the kitchen department of B&Q. How is this acceptable for a sports stadium? Seriously ?

• Like 4

Looks like the outside of the stand facing the wrong way ie inwards towards the track! Doh.

On the last set of plans for the previous new stadium someone pointed out that the refs box did not line up with the start gate and a few other issues

You have to remember that this picture was knocked up by some computer geek who has not the faintest idea what a speedway/greyhound stadium looks like!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

You have to remember that this picture was knocked up by some computer geek who has not the faintest idea what a speedway/greyhound stadium looks like!

Just hope the plans have not been done by the same person 

It's not really a stand as we know it though , a few of the greyhound tracks have similar buildings which is basically a restaurant with some view of the track.

from this illustration it's a grey  hound track with a speedway track inside it .

i would not be surprised if it's not too dissimilar from illustration when (if) built 

Edited by longlivefrankie

I've tried to make sense of the planning paperwork and I believe the Speedway start/finish with be at the other side to that main stand building 

34 minutes ago, miadfa8 said:

'Document Unavailable'!!

I really can't understand how people can complain about the 'image' whether created by a computer geek or not?!

Its being commissioned and paid for by the Stadium 'owners' who are primarily Greyhound operators and who will build a facility primarily for the Greyhound fraternity.

Speedway rents the stadium and will have to accept whatever facilities - new or old - that are going to be there. 

The only way a covered grandstand with seating and possibly some terracing is gonna happen is if Speedway cough up some dosh or have sufficient negotiating skills to 'force' the Council to put pressure on the Stadium owners to build something suitable!!

That applies to any stadium - not just Swindon - where Speedway merely rents the facilities.

To be fair the creation of any additional structures can only help 'deaden' any potential noise issues from outside.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

So we are almost into Feb and they say it will be ready for tapes up, seems mighty ambitious.