British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, noggin said:

So we are almost into Feb and they say it will be ready for tapes up, seems mighty ambitious.

What season though !!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, noggin said:

So we are almost into Feb and they say it will be ready for tapes up, seems mighty ambitious.

They could create the new shaped track by March as they would not need planning permission for that, if they started soon.  That would be easier than trying to do it mid season with all the banking required.

Anyone who goes to dogs or looks at the track from the road bridge over the A419 could spot any work being done, unless this is another load of bs. 

On 1/30/2018 at 1:34 PM, Daniel Smith said:

I've tried to make sense of the planning paperwork and I believe the Speedway start/finish with be at the other side to that main stand building 

That is definitey the racing side, can see the greyhound rails. There is a picture in Speedway Star today what the outside looks like.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

That is definitey the racing side, can see the greyhound rails. There is a picture in Speedway Star today what the outside looks like.

That's not what I meant, sorry. I believe the new main stand will effectively be on the back straight is what I was meaning.

11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

That's not what I meant, sorry. I believe the new main stand will effectively be on the back straight is what I was meaning.

That is my understanding from reports that have been published in the press as this will also allow the main stand to be built on what is now the back straight while the existing one is still in use as they cannot stop the dog racing for a long period.

• Like 1

Looking at the plans for car parking alone I see that there are 456 car parking spaces, 13 disabled spaces (15 marked on drawing) and parking for 3 coaches. 

Don't want to knock anything but where is the overflow carpark going to be? I'm sure there will be more cars attending than that for some meetings.

Also with only 3 spaces to park coaches will there be no more big meetings held at the Abbey?

I think I've also seen more than 24 motor cycles attending ANY speedway meeting at any venue I have been to over the past 40 years.

I just hope the council put a "Fit for purpose clause" in the specification  / contract and stick rigid to it.

Just my thoughts on first view of plans.

10 hours ago, tonyd said:

Looking at the plans for car parking alone I see that there are 456 car parking spaces, 13 disabled spaces (15 marked on drawing) and parking for 3 coaches. 

Don't want to knock anything but where is the overflow carpark going to be? I'm sure there will be more cars attending than that for some meetings.

Also with only 3 spaces to park coaches will there be no more big meetings held at the Abbey?

I think I've also seen more than 24 motor cycles attending ANY speedway meeting at any venue I have been to over the past 40 years.

I just hope the council put a "Fit for purpose clause" in the specification  / contract and stick rigid to it.

Just my thoughts on first view of plans.

This has been commented on for years since they first announced the car park capacity, they have a possible extra car park 1.5 to 2 KL away from the track and they have suggested that fans also use the town centre car parks and then get a bus to the track.

I can see many fans using the new housing estate surrounding the stadium being used for parking.

5 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

This has been commented on for years since they first announced the car park capacity, they have a possible extra car park 1.5 to 2 KL away from the track and they have suggested that fans also use the town centre car parks and then get a bus to the track.

I can see many fans using the new housing estate surrounding the stadium being used for parking.

Getting a bus from the town centre is fine if you live in Swindon. I love 25 miles away, and if I go I have to get home from work and then drive to  Swindon. I normally get there about 7.20, just in time to park and go in.

I can see people getting there early to get a parking space, leaving nowhere to park by the time I arrive and without time to go to the town centre and getting a bus.

When Poole are in town fans will need to get there at 6 pm for a parking space. And what are Poole fans, or any away fans for that matter, going to do when the car park full signs go up 10 mins before tapes up. The local estates ate going to be swamped, local residents up in arms.

The solution is quite simple. Build a multi storey car park.

29 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Getting a bus from the town centre is fine if you live in Swindon. I love 25 miles away, and if I go I have to get home from work and then drive to  Swindon. I normally get there about 7.20, just in time to park and go in.

I can see people getting there early to get a parking space, leaving nowhere to park by the time I arrive and without time to go to the town centre and getting a bus.

That is exactly the point I have been making since the parking numbers and "extra parking solutions" were first seen in the plans years ago. 

In fact if we get the sort of numbers we normally get from Poole, especially if they manage to get to the playoffs to meet us, the best thing they should do is get a coach from Poole.  

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

That is exactly the point I have been making since the parking numbers and "extra parking solutions" were first seen in the plans years ago. 

In fact if we get the sort of numbers we normally get from Poole, especially if they manage to get to the playoffs to meet us, the best thing they should do is get a coach from Poole.  

That works as long as no more than 3 coach loads of Poole fans want to go.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

That works as long as no more than 3 coach loads of Poole fans want to go.

I was at a meeting where some of the management stated, when the stadium was first muted, that they would want to have big meetings there starting with the Speedway World Cup, well with a capacity cut to 3500 and this level of parking they have no chance.

I remember the great days when we had approx 15,000 at Blunsdon for a test match against USA.

If more than three coaches turn up they will have to drop fans off and go and find somewhere else to park.

Edited by A ORLOV